Subject: Retail availability? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jim Koclanis
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I really like the change in gameplay these cards introduce. Is there any word on if these will be available for purchase sometime in the near future?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ted anderson
United States
southington
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Color me interested in these too. I'd like to see them in the BGG store at some point.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Finn
msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
moremonkeys138 wrote:
Color me interested in these too. I'd like to see them in the BGG store at some point.

These are Kickstarter exclusives. As it turns out, you can get them through my current Kickstarter for Cosmic Run: rapid fire. I have a promo pack level (see $5 level). Other than that, I don't think they will be available except during mine and Pencil First Game's Kickstarters.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eduardo Baraf
United States
Mountain View
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Steve is correct. This will not be going to retail.

They will be included in future Kickstarters as they happen. Steve has one live, PFG should have a few later this year.

Cheers,
~Ed
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Rizzo
United States
Hershey
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ugh. This is why KS exclusives are an abomination. They divide the community. On a small game like this, it's not a huge deal, but on bigger games it really gets my goat. End rant.

That being said, it's a shame. I'd like to own these. As would others who bought Herb retail post KS.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Finn
msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
JustinRRizzo wrote:
Ugh. This is why KS exclusives are an abomination. They divide the community. On a small game like this, it's not a huge deal, but on bigger games it really gets my goat. End rant.

That being said, it's a shame. I'd like to own these. As would others who bought Herb retail post KS.

Let me explain to you the predicament of independent publishers so that you can better understand why exclusive packs are a necessary evil. The only way for me to manufacture games and have a game publishing company is by raising funds on Kickstarter (or take out business loans -- not really an option). Unfortunately, (though perhaps legitimately), Kickstarter backers expect something special for backing a project, unseen and unplayed, months before it comes out to retail. These small packs provide an incentive for people to back the project and, at this point, stuff like this are expected. I'm sorry that you are upset about it, but it's the reality that designers like me have to deal with too.

All that said, I have Kickstarter campaigns about 3-4 times a year and the herbaceous pack is available during my campaigns -- often available all by itself.

Thanks also for buying Herbaceous.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Rizzo
United States
Hershey
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
drfinn wrote:
JustinRRizzo wrote:

Let me explain to you the predicament of independent publishers so that you can better understand why exclusive packs are a necessary evil. The only way for me to manufacture games and have a game publishing company is by raising funds on Kickstarter (or take out business loans -- not really an option). Unfortunately, (though perhaps legitimately), Kickstarter backers expect something special for backing a project, unseen and unplayed, months before it comes out to retail. These small packs provide an incentive for people to back the project and, at this point, stuff like this are expected. I'm sorry that you are upset about it, but it's the reality that designers like me have to deal with too.

All that said, I have Kickstarter campaigns about 3-4 times a year and the herbaceous pack is available during my campaigns -- often available all by itself.

Thanks for the explanation. I certainly did not mean it as a direct rant at you. Just a rant on the KS industry.

I've speculated that to be the reason why KS exclusives exist. I mean, that's what all my friends expect. "Does it have KS exclusive content?"

For me, the excitement is in getting something new and unique while supporting/rewarding the the creators.

It's just gotten to the point where some people are getting really scummy with it. Take for example, Rising Sun. If you didn't buy the add-on expansion during the KS campaign, you would have mismatched components (3D plastic tokens vs cardboard chits) if you decided to buy it retail later on. That is super scummy, as it forced people who were already committed $100+ to drop another $50 just to ensure consistency in their components.

I think KS exclusives will never go away, just like DLC for video games. However, I wish it never happened.

In any event, I own many of your games, and I enjoy them very much. Biblios the best. I've got a lot of people to buy that game Thanks for hearing my rant. I promise it wasn't directed at you. I just want those cards (I just got into the hobby a few months ago).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Finn
msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
JustinRRizzo wrote:
drfinn wrote:
JustinRRizzo wrote:

Thanks for the explanation. I certainly did not mean it as a direct rant at you. Just a rant on the KS industry.

I've speculated that to be the reason why KS exclusives exist. I mean, that's what all my friends expect. "Does it have KS exclusive content?"

For me, the excitement is in getting something new and unique while supporting/rewarding the the creators.

It's just gotten to the point where some people are getting really scummy with it. Take for example, Rising Sun. If you didn't buy the add-on expansion during the KS campaign, you would have mismatched components (3D plastic tokens vs cardboard chits) if you decided to buy it retail later on. That is super scummy, as it forced people who were already committed $100+ to drop another $50 just to ensure consistency in their components.

I think KS exclusives will never go away, just like DLC for video games. However, I wish it never happened.

In any event, I own many of your games, and I enjoy them very much. Biblios the best. I've got a lot of people to buy that game Thanks for hearing my rant. I promise it wasn't directed at you. I just want those cards (I just got into the hobby a few months ago).

I hear ya. I did not take it as a criticism of me. I'm also not entirely happen with the direction KS is moving in, but it's the only option for me. Thanks for playing my games!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hans Peter Bak
Denmark
Hoejbjerg
Unspecified
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
JustinRRizzo wrote:

Hear hear!

I'm tired hearing of KS exclusives. I've backed lots of KS's through the years - games and not-games - and you are quite right. In the beginning there was little exclusive contents, maybe a badge and a t-shirt. Now? Don't get me started....

I think I'm backing the last KS game now. I'm sick of it. Now I think I'm only backing a game if really, really, really can't live without it....like Gloomhaven and Barbarians. Other than that no way. (Barbarians is the last one. Period!)

But I might check out Flavor Pack. I really like Herbaceous. Maybe I'll see you drfinn. ^^
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cyn Tuck

Akron
OH
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I understand how it works, and why you would want to have KS exclusives. However it kind of screws the fans you already have. You could make these available in the BGG store say next year after the release and I would no longer feel like I didn't matter to you.
Currently I am reluctant to buy your games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Finn
msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Cyn,

I'm sorry. I have Kickstarter campaigns almost three times a year and during those, you can just buy the pack at that time. I just had a Kickstarter campaign for Little Flower Shop and the packs were available at that time. If you want to make a late pledge, because you missed the campaign, just contact me.

Steve

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marco C
Australia
Meadowbank
New South Wales
flag msg tools
Not that kind of growth...
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Okay so I've been hearing rumours about a "Seedlings" expansion for Herbaceous. Any chance of getting the flavour cards thrown into that expansion as well??

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Finn
msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
birdsong703 wrote:
Okay so I've been hearing rumours about a "Seedlings" expansion for Herbaceous. Any chance of getting the flavour cards thrown into that expansion as well??

Keep a lookout for Herbaceous Seedlings, which is a standalone game and not an expansion. Pencil First Games may offer the flavour cards, but I'm not sure. Since I am not the publisher, I am not necessarily going to have flavour cards for all future Kickstarters. In fact, I'm very close to giving up on Kickstarter exclusives because they cause a lot of headaches.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.