Subject: Administration rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Dave van Zundert
Netherlands
The Hague
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
So I am back into this game and having a blast! I play solo most of the time. A big plus is you don't need a lot of space to play. The only thing is that the paper work can take a lot of room. Do any of you have some advice on how to bring this back a little? Now I have, character sheets, dungeon draw sheet, gm reference sheet, monster matrices, men-at-arms sheet and of course the rulebook. May be there is an app I can use or am I using to much sheets? Would really like to know how you guys are handling this.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
El Lic
Mexico
MTY NL
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I separate the paperwork used for exploration and the one used for combat, switching between them as needed. It helps a lot if you combine all the tables in one page.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave van Zundert
Netherlands
The Hague
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
RECIVS wrote:
I separate the paperwork used for exploration and the one used for combat, switching between them as needed. It helps a lot if you combine all the tables in one page.
Did you make a sheet that combines all tables yourself? Would like to see how you did that. A picture maybe?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
El Lic
Mexico
MTY NL
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Headbangert wrote:
RECIVS wrote:
Did you make a sheet that combines all tables yourself? Would like to see how you did that. A picture maybe?

Yes I did, you can find it in my variant (in the Variants forum) though it includes the tables used for Reforged.

My games usually look like this:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave van Zundert
Netherlands
The Hague
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
RECIVS wrote:
Headbangert wrote:
RECIVS wrote:

Yes I did, you can find it in my variant (in the Variants forum) though it includes the tables used for Reforged.

My games usually look like this:

Looking good! That sure gives me some ideas, thanks for sharing!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
El Lic
Mexico
MTY NL
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Anytime, and welcome back! thumbsuplaugh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave van Zundert
Netherlands
The Hague
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
It's getting better
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
El Lic
Mexico
MTY NL
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Headbangert wrote:
It's getting better

It looks good but IMHO you need more space. I forgot to mention that I also use a small folding table on the side, it helps a lot.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave van Zundert
Netherlands
The Hague
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
RECIVS wrote:
Headbangert wrote:
It's getting better

It looks good but IMHO you need more space. I forgot to mention that I also use a small folding table on the side, it helps a lot.

Well, that sort of is the problem. I don't have a lot of space for my games. We live in a rather small house (wife, two kids and a dog) so if I want to play I got this small table to play on. But it is working great because I remove the dungeon parts after drawing them so it never get's to big for the table.

Edit: and i got stuff on a chair next to me to btw
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
El Lic
Mexico
MTY NL
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
IMHO you should use that box and its lid to put the tiles, minis and idle paperwork. It would be easier to move and manage in that space.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave van Zundert
Netherlands
The Hague
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
RECIVS wrote:
IMHO you should use that box and its lid to put the tiles, minis and idle paperwork. It would be easier to move and manage in that space.
I played a couple of games and have to say it is working fine. I only put the mini's on the table that are in the matrices, I find it easier to get them, and also I like to 'display' my game a bit. Thanks for the good advice! You helped me a lot to find my own way of playing it. This now really is my favorite dungeon crawler
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave van Zundert
Netherlands
The Hague
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I also re-based my 'normal' Heroquest heroes with round bases now, so I can play with 4 heroes in stead of 2 heroes with henchmen (the original wizard and elf are lost). Also I bought a couple of old warhammer minis on the dutch marketplace and the game really is getting together. I love how custimisable this game is. Really don't understand why it get's so little love. I also own warhammer quest and a lot of other dungeon crawlers but this game really stands out imo.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
El Lic
Mexico
MTY NL
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Headbangert wrote:
This now really is my favorite dungeon crawler

Headbangert wrote:
Really don't understand why it get's so little love. I also own warhammer quest and a lot of other dungeon crawlers but this game really stands out imo.

I couldn't agree more! Have fun thumbsup

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Laurence
msg tools
I wrote up a perl script that does the dice rolling for the "less exciting" parts of the game - things like corridor and room generation and searches for secret doors and treasure. This means that I can get rid of almost all the tables most of the time and just have a laptop off to the side. It also means a lot less dice rolling as you're wandering around, but I've kept the dice for fighting and heroes doing stuff because it's more fun to feel that you're sort of in control there!

We gave it a test yesterday evening and it went pretty well, although we're still learning the "Reforged" rules. One hero did insist on repeatedly drinking from a pool, despite being repeatedly rendered unconscious though!

If anyone would like a copy of the script, please say and I'll stick it on pastebin or something.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
El Lic
Mexico
MTY NL
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It sounds interesting. I would like to try it.

What I do (for the "less exciting parts") is to roll all the dice at the same time, as it saves time and effort. For example: I roll 6D12 for each corridor, 7D12+1D3 for each room, and 3D12+1D4 for each group of monsters. Obviously, the dice have to be of different colors.

After some practice you don't even need to look up the tables anymore, so the game flows faster as your mind becomes sharper.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Laurence
msg tools
It's a little "beta" at the moment, so it requires a little common sense from the DM for things like reading around bad English, but I think it works pretty well for what it's designed for. Here's a screenshot:

and you can download the script from:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/brrlp3p5rq2h1yt/reforged%20explore...

It even keeps track of how many rooms it's generated, since the Reforged rules state you add 1 to the room type rolls for each additional room generated, meaning lairs and quest rooms get more and more likely the longer you search for.

If you have any suggestions or improvements, I'd be interested to see them!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
El Lic
Mexico
MTY NL
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you. I'll give it a try.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Laurence
msg tools
You're welcome - I look forward to your thoughts.

I noticed from wandering the rest of the forum that you've been testing and using Slev's rules for quite a while - certainly since older versions. I was wondering if you've got a copy of the older rulebooks still, specifically the bestiaries.

The latest release which I've been working from has Skaven and Undead but no orcs, goblins, humans etc. I got the impression from various posts that he produced a wider variety in a previous version, but he didn't want to release them as part of the main rules until he's tidied up the artwork.

I was hoping to get hold of these to put a bit more variety into my games. If you could help, I would be most grateful!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
El Lic
Mexico
MTY NL
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
OneCruelBagel wrote:
You're welcome - I look forward to your thoughts.

I've just taken a look at it, and to tell the truth I have no idea how to use it. I believe you should include a tutorial for non-programmers like me. Perhaps I should have mentioned it before. Anyway, I like to learn new things.

OneCruelBagel wrote:
I was wondering if you've got a copy of the older rulebooks still, specifically the bestiaries.I was hoping to get hold of these to put a bit more variety into my games. If you could help, I would be most grateful!

No problem, just send me a PM with your email. I've also been working on it lately.

EDIT: For the moment you might want to check the following ones, created using Slev's rules:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Laurence
msg tools
Ah yes, sorry, forgot it would be a pain to work with in that form.

I've compiled it into an exe - if you're happy running an exe from some random guy on the internet, you can get it here:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/4exm2bm1dbunoe6/reforged.exe?dl=0
I've tested it with a Windows 10 VM and it looks like it works fine, although Windows pops up a load of warnings about it being from an unrecognised author, etc.

Once you've got it running, you can adjust variables (eg, danger level, floor number, number of heroes) with a-e and then use 1-7 to call the various generation functions.

Thanks for the bestiary sheets - once we've finished the Shattered Amulet I'll be able to do some more varied dungeons.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave van Zundert
Netherlands
The Hague
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Long time since I looked here. Still playing this game every month. Thanks guys, going to try it!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.