16 Posts

Survive: Escape from Atlantis!» Forums » General

Subject: Do I need expansions? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Evgeni Dimitrov
msg tools
mb
I saw lots of reviews of the game, and i think that I will like it, actually that most people should like it, as it looks really fun.
How good are the expansions, how is the game with 5-6 players and the new mechanics?When I buy it, should i take 5-6 player expansion, or the one with all expansions included?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rickard
Sweden
Växjö
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
I like the base game as it is. However I think the game gets better with the Giant Squid expansion as it gets more crazy with all the stuff going on. So if I were you I would go with the one were all expansions are included.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Glen Young
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
It is REALLY fun! You are in for a treat as the game is easy to learn and rewards good strategy.

We got the 5-6 player expansion with our initial purchase of the game and highly recommend it if you will have opportunities to play with more than four players.

Sharing your boat with others is often a good strategy, but beware that with additional players there is potential for those players not represented on your boat to cause problems.

The game is a consistent hit with players in our play group that includes ages 7 to 80.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Chamberlain
England
Crawley
West Sussex
flag msg tools
mb
We play with Dolphin and Squid and love it. Dolphin just changes what happens when you have the Dolphin tile really but Squid is a nice touch. I would agree and say get it with expansions. Great family game and loved the original as a child.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carthoris Pyramidos
United States
Centennial
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The game is fine with 5 and 6 players, and the play time is consistent at all player counts.

The Squid is a good addition at lower player counts. Dolphins are always good.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Evgeni Dimitrov
msg tools
mb
Sooo i should just get the one which includes all 3
I am wodering which one should i uy first, this or Mission red planet
But probably will be this

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Liolio
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hm... So I had a lot of fun playing this with my brother, and then with a couple guys.

But when we played with more, when I got the expansions, something about it was just off. Things didn't go right. I felt there were probably too many players, and that the sweet spot was 3 or 4.

And while I love the idea of the expansions, when you add the Squid, it seems to negatively impact anything else. For example, my first few games played, it felt like there was a good balance between the three creatures and their abilities. After adding the squid and the dice that allows the sea monster to move 3 spaces, rolling anything that wasn't a sea monster or squid felt like a loss.

I've been meaning to try a rebalancing, with some of the variants on this board, as I think it would add a lot more to the game. For example, I think ditching the movement dice is probably a good idea, and I like the idea of the Star on the dice taking the role of squid, so all creatures are represented.. It's been awhile since I looked at it, but my goal is to add most of the expansion content, while keeping the simple, balanced feel from the base game.

Anyway, the expansions don't cost much. I'd get them all and think about rebalancing after playing a few times.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Blue 80
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I am normally a devourer of expansions, even when they are not needed, however Survive is one game I usually play without them. I have the expansions but I find the game better, cleaner and fairer without them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Angevine
Canada
AB
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
play with 5 quite often so i needed that, it was same price to get the box with all 3 so i did that. played with squid a couple times and the dive dice

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Smith
Netherlands
Helmond
Noord Brabant
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Maybe a little late here, but I will (slightly) disagree with what's been said so far.

The squid and the dolphins themselves are fun but far from a big deal. The dolphins in particular don't change the game much at all (I actually house rule them to make them more fun).

However, what absolutely is a big deal that you really should have is the Dive Dice. The base game is fun, but I will never play without the dive dice again.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thilo M.
Germany
Wiesbaden
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
grendelsbayne wrote:
Maybe a little late here, but I will (slightly) disagree with what's been said so far.

The squid and the dolphins themselves are fun but far from a big deal. The dolphins in particular don't change the game much at all (I actually house rule them to make them more fun).

However, what absolutely is a big deal that you really should have is the Dive Dice. The base game is fun, but I will never play without the dive dice again.

+1 to this. Also, with my little kids, I prefer playing the coop variant described in this forum, and it also works much better with the dive dice. Without the dice, you can try and position your boat to by out of reach, with the dice there is more chaos. (and I love the squid as well, I was surprised how big the model was).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Evgeni Dimitrov
msg tools
mb
GrandKhan44 wrote:
grendelsbayne wrote:

+1 to this. Also, with my little kids, I prefer playing the coop variant described in this forum, and it also works much better with the dive dice. Without the dice, you can try and position your boat to by out of reach, with the dice there is more chaos. (and I love the squid as well, I was surprised how big the model was).

What is Dive dice ?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thilo M.
Germany
Wiesbaden
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
realfen wrote:
GrandKhan44 wrote:
grendelsbayne wrote:

What is Dive dice ?

In the base game, you have one die to decide which monster moves. In the expansion, you get a dive dice with the numbers 1-3 and a D. On a 1-3, the monster (or boat) moves that many steps, on a D it dives and can get anywhere. As I said, it makes it more random.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Smith
Netherlands
Helmond
Noord Brabant
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just for total clarity, the Dive Dice are included in the same expansion as the dolphins.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Blue 80
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The dive dice are okay, but I only use them occasionally for a party game feel as they bleach out the strategy from the base game. If my sister and are are playing competitively for example we never use them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Liolio
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Jacky Blue Note wrote:
The dive dice are okay, but I only use them occasionally for a party game feel as they bleach out the strategy from the base game. If my sister and are are playing competitively for example we never use them.

I know I already said it, but this is it. The dive dice destroys the main strategic mechanic of the game! It's not terrible, but it doesn't make it more fun. Just more crazy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.