6 Posts

Gloomhaven» Forums » Strategy

Subject: Maximizing damage/card usage/experience rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Scott
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
So I've been keeping track of the average turns it takes to complete scenarios in an effort to maximize card usage and gain experience. Another benefit is knowing you have a turn or two to waste on looting.

Scenarios seem to run anywhere from 10-15 turns with the higher end when a boss is involved. Knowing this and planning for 10-13 turns in a non boss mission you can really start to plan how to use your lost cards more aggressively. Especially with characters you find ending scenarios with 4+ cards like the brute for me.

I guess raising the difficulty may extend the amount of turns so that's an option. But for experience maximization that's not as beneficial.

So if you have characters that are ending with 4+ cards think about reevaluating your strategy to early grab more loot or play more experience generating lost cards earlier. The likelihood of going over 15 turns is not very high it seems.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Harrison
United States
Greenville
SC
flag msg tools
Dynalange129 wrote:

I guess raising the difficulty may extend the amount of turns so that's an option. But for experience maximization that's not as beneficial.

IMO the main benefit of higher difficulty isn't the extra XP, which is minor, but the increased loot conversion, which translates to 10-20 or so gold for the team depending on the scenario and how well you looted.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd T
United States
Iowa
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I suppose one thing we could do is use the round counter marker regardless of whether or not we need to use it for that scenario. Then it would help us to track on our own the number of rounds scenarios too for us in comparison with the cards that were left over. Thanks for the idea!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Giulio
Italy
Scandiano
RE
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree with the OP: if I end up with 4 or more cards in my hand, I have to re-evaluate my strategy. Measuring the efficiency in terms of lost cards vs. remaining turns is certainly useful but it is also highly endogenous: cards that are lost usually allow the character to do more and while playing a card to lost reduce the number of turns the character can remain active, by accomplishing more it also reduces the number of turns the character need to remain active.

Another possible measure can be obtained by considering the whole amount of activity each character is supposed to perform to win the scenario. Suppose that, on average, my character has to eliminate 6 enemies with 8 hp each and move across three rooms. Thus I know my character must deliver around 48 HP of damage and cover a total distance of around 21 hexes, requirement that I would double to 42 because often I use the movement to improve the attack. This is obviously an "average" measure and the burden of the different tasks is likely to be divided unequally among the members of the party. But considering this very crude approximation, we can obtain some useful benchmark to measure the efficiency of a card loss. Assume for instance that the character starts with a deck of 10 cards. This means it has a maximum of 25 active turns. So, according to our rough approximation, it must move 2 hexes "toward the goal" and inflict 2 damages per turn at minimum. If playing a card to discard generate 6 damages or let the character move 6 hexes, this card is in fact worth 3 turns of the respective effect (attack/move).

Sorry for the length. The post resulted longer than predicted.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kerstin
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
g1ul10 wrote:
I agree with the OP: if I end up with 4 or more cards in my hand, I have to re-evaluate my strategy.

This seems true until you bring battle goals into the picture, which change the scenario from just winning it to winning it in a certain condition for yourself and I found those checkmarks to be worthwile losing out on a few points of XP sometimes.
(Spoilers for battle goals
Spoiler (click to reveal)
Obviously the one where you want 5 cards or more in hand or discard is one, where you want to be more careful in losing your cards.
But there are a few others, which can make you more carefull with those: Gaining less than 7 XP, you might want to avoid using your bigger card abilities which are usually the lose the card ones as those often give you XP. (And at least we play it that XP is not something that you can ignore).
The goal of ending the scenario with maximum health is also something where I tried to keep a lot of cards in my end towards the end, so I could take a hit when needed by discarding one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Giulio
Italy
Scandiano
RE
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ovis wrote:

This seems true until you bring battle goals into the picture, which change the scenario from just winning it to winning it in a certain condition for yourself and I found those checkmarks to be worthwile losing out on a few points of XP sometimes.

Agreed again.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.