Popular Tags: [View All]
Todd T
United States
Cedar Falls
Iowa
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I searched the forums and didn't see much on this and the rule book didn't state this explicitly. Does the Shop Price Modifier on the Party Sheet increase or decrease item costs by that amount as a percentage?

For instance, if I have -1 Shop Price Modifier, does that mean I get a 10% discount on items? If it is a percentage, do I round up or down? Or is that just -1 Gold less per item?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Arthur Janicek
Canada
Winnipeg
Manitoba
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This is what I found in the rulebook on page 42. "When buying items, players modify the cost based on their reputation. They receive a reduction in cost at a higher reputation and an increase in cost at a lower reputation."

I'm pretty sure if the price adjustment was intended as a percentage, it would have been stated as such.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg
United States
Lowell
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
How do you get that -1 means 10% discount?

If an item is priced at 10 gold, the -1 means you can buy it for 9 gold.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gunther Schmidl
Austria
Linz
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Hahma wrote:

Probably because -1 seems like a terrible discount, while 10% doesn't
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guti
Germany
flag msg tools
mb
It is -1 Gold. If the discount were supposed to be -10%, then it would say -10%. I recommend applying rules literally and to not add extra stuff because "reasons" (be either thematic reasons, wishful thinking or else).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd T
United States
Cedar Falls
Iowa
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The reason I ask is two-fold:

1. There's no qualifier that says "Gold" anywhere.
2. This seems like a very, very minor benefit/penalty. If I'm buying a 50 Gold item and save 1 Gold because of my party's reputation, that almost doesn't seem worth it to include as a game mechanic. A percentage would have much more of an impact.

I'm sure it's meant to be the amount of Gold, but I just wanted to verify it wasn't more significant than that or that I was missing something. If it is indeed related to Gold directly, this would be a helpful inclusion in the rule book and/or party sheet.

If it applied to donating to the Sanctuary, that would be much more significant, but since it's only a Shop Modifier, I know it doesn't apply there, too.

Related question- does this impact selling items? I imagine it doesn't because there's no mention of it anywhere, but it seems like it should.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg
United States
Lowell
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
But it's not capped out at -1 discount.

Over the course of the campaign, saving a gold here and there can add up, especially when there are more characters in the party that can benefit from it.

10% is easy to math out, but when it gets up to 20 or 30% etc, then each purchase would be more of an unnecessary and fiddly pain.

There are other benefits of higher reputation, so the shop discount isn't the sole benefit for those that choose that path.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Arthur Janicek
Canada
Winnipeg
Manitoba
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
thomast8991 wrote:
Related question- does this impact selling items? I imagine it doesn't because there's no mention of it anywhere, but it seems like it should.

Rulebook p43 under Buying and Selling Items: "players can also sell back any item for half the price listed on the item card (rounded down)."

P.42 under Reputation it only mentions the price being modified while buying items.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guti
Germany
flag msg tools
mb
One Gold may not seem much, but the discount increases along with your reputation. I don't remember how much, but I think up to -5 or -7?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd T
United States
Cedar Falls
Iowa
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Guti_ wrote:
One Gold may not seem much, but the discount increases along with your reputation. I don't remember how much, but I think up to -5 or -7?

-5 Gold is the max discount.

As I've thought of it more, the big benefit is that EVERY player gets that same discount (or penalty). As many of you have said, the cumulative discount over time and multiplied by the number of people will add up over the course of the campaign. I don't have a great sense of how much buying and selling takes place in the campaign yet, but given the number of total items there are, it would suggest this happens decently often.

Thanks for the observations and discussion, guys. Glad I'm thinking about this more clearly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
NECRO zombie

Seemed like a nice thread to ask this question. Do you also gain the shop modifier benefit when selling items? Do you get half of item +2 for example?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dwight Sullivan
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
Shall we play a game?
badge
Shall we play a game?
mbmbmbmbmb
El3mentGamer wrote:
NECRO zombie

Seemed like a nice thread to ask this question. Do you also gain the shop modifier benefit when selling items? Do you get half of item +2 for example?

I do not believe you do.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Sauro
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Xaqery wrote:
El3mentGamer wrote:
NECRO zombie

I do not believe you do.
You definitely don't.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darren Nakamura
United States
Columbus
Mississippi
flag msg tools
http://www.destructoid.com/author.phtml?a=1364
badge
Darren@destructoid.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Man, the questions people asked about this game when it first came out are wild. How could you ever look at "-1" and wonder "does this mean -10%?"?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Sauro
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've seen a lot of strange Gloomhaven questions, but none get even close to the oddest Hanabi question I've ever seen:

Quote:
Just got this game and tried it. What confuses me is the end game.

So, the rules state that if all three fuses are blown, then the game is a loss... so nobody wins, right? Score is irrelevant?

What happened was that I was winning a round, then the next player picked up the last card, so everyone gets one more turn. They knew I was winning, so just dropped cards, knowing the fuse would blow and I wouldn't win the game... nobody would.

Sounds to me like the rules are broken there?

https://www.reddit.com/r/boardgames/comments/3oyfen/hanabi_r...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ravage Board Gaming
United Kingdom
Bristol
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
As an added clarification for the shop price modifier - this does not apply to Enhancements.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rémi Fortin
France
flag msg tools
mb
-5 is the max, if you buy 6 items, it's ever a 30 gold difference with a 0 party reputation and 60 gold difference with a +5 modifier so it's huge.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexander D
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hahma wrote:

You just HAD to pick an item worth 10 gold for your example
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dreadknot Knotdread
Canada
Markham
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
masterzora wrote:
I've seen a lot of strange Gloomhaven questions, but none get even close to the oddest Hanabi question I've ever seen:

Quote:
Just got this game and tried it. What confuses me is the end game.

So, the rules state that if all three fuses are blown, then the game is a loss... so nobody wins, right? Score is irrelevant?

What happened was that I was winning a round, then the next player picked up the last card, so everyone gets one more turn. They knew I was winning, so just dropped cards, knowing the fuse would blow and I wouldn't win the game... nobody would.

Sounds to me like the rules are broken there?

https://www.reddit.com/r/boardgames/comments/3oyfen/hanabi_r...

Not gonna lie, that was pretty damn funny since it's a co-op game

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.