Popular Tags: [View All]
Mihir Shah
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There are different types of favor cards and each has a different number of that type in the favor card deck, has anyone tried to have equal number of favor cards across all different types of them?

Like for eg. just using 2 of each type

If anyone has tried this, how did it go, what are your opinion on the balance ?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tori Courtney
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Which cards are there more of? I hadn't paid attention until now but the manual says there's 22, so probably 2 of 2 and 3 of the other 6?

Personally I almost always prefer more ingredients to a favor, so I'd be reluctant to make them weaker.
If the balance shifted to more associate/assistants and fewer merchants/custodians, then I'd be more likely to take one. If it shifted the other way then I'd be even more reluctant to do so.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mihir Shah
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
RichardMNixon wrote:
Which cards are there more of? I hadn't paid attention until now but the manual says there's 22, so probably 2 of 2 and 3 of the other 6?

Personally I almost always prefer more ingredients to a favor, so I'd be reluctant to make them weaker.
If the balance shifted to more associate/assistants and fewer merchants/custodians, then I'd be more likely to take one. If it shifted the other way then I'd be even more reluctant to do so.

of the 8 different types of favor cards, the assistant and the herbalist have 4 copies, the custodian and the associate have 3 copies and remaining have 2 of each

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tori Courtney
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Huh, that's a peculiar mix. To make them even in number though, you'd need 2 of everything though, right, since there aren't enough cards to have 3 of everything even if you mark some? I think fewer associates and assistants would make getting a favor weaker than it is. I know some people think the herbalist is on the weak side but I like her personally, you can at least say she's objectively better than just getting an ingredient instead, and early on she's very helpful for getting pairs to chain.

I am surprised there's extra custodians, I would think he'd be rarer because he's so situational. I'm especially reluctant to take a favor late in the game out of worry I'll get him when he's useless.

Tldr though, if the favor deck was only associates, assistants, and herbalists, I'd take favors much more often. Going the other direction makes the deck weaker. Do you or your group think favors are weak or strong? How often to people pick the 1/1 turn space over the 2/0 or the 1/2 over the 0/3?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Dupree
United States
Bellevue
WA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
RichardMNixon wrote:
I know some people think the herbalist is on the weak side but I like her personally, you can at least say she's objectively better than just getting an ingredient instead, and early on she's very helpful for getting pairs to chain.

Sure, nobody is going to argue that a herbalist is worse than an ingredient. However the card "costs" more because the game (designer) thinks favors are better than ingredients. Also if you wanted an ingredient, you would have gone on a space that gave you an ingredient (if one was available of course, but regardless...); if you went on a space giving you a favor it was probably because you wanted a favor. Also what's perhaps the worst is that you have to play the card immediately, even if you don't need an ingredient, whereas other favors you can save for the perfect time, or until the end of the game for 2/3rds of a point.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mihir Shah
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
RichardMNixon wrote:
Huh, that's a peculiar mix. To make them even in number though, you'd need 2 of everything though, right, since there aren't enough cards to have 3 of everything even if you mark some? I think fewer associates and assistants would make getting a favor weaker than it is. I know some people think the herbalist is on the weak side but I like her personally, you can at least say she's objectively better than just getting an ingredient instead, and early on she's very helpful for getting pairs to chain.

I am surprised there's extra custodians, I would think he'd be rarer because he's so situational. I'm especially reluctant to take a favor late in the game out of worry I'll get him when he's useless.

Tldr though, if the favor deck was only associates, assistants, and herbalists, I'd take favors much more often. Going the other direction makes the deck weaker. Do you or your group think favors are weak or strong? How often to people pick the 1/1 turn space over the 2/0 or the 1/2 over the 0/3?

Its not abt weak or strong but its about equal chance of drawing all types of favors

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tori Courtney
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
stannius wrote:
Sure, nobody is going to argue that a herbalist is worse than an ingredient. However the card "costs" more because the game (designer) thinks favors are better than ingredients. Also if you wanted an ingredient, you would have gone on a space that gave you an ingredient (if one was available of course, but regardless...); if you went on a space giving you a favor it was probably because you wanted a favor. Also what's perhaps the worst is that you have to play the card immediately, even if you don't need an ingredient, whereas other favors you can save for the perfect time, or until the end of the game for 2/3rds of a point.

All true, but what I'm saying is that some favors are worse than ingredients IMHO, you pay a "cost" to lose utility. I agree the instant-play requirement on herbalist is unnecessary.

jalwaaa wrote:

Its not abt weak or strong but its about equal chance of drawing all types of favors

Of course it is about weak and strong, you even asked about balance. The only decision you make regarding the deck as a whole is whether you want to draw a favor or not. I think (and I believe others agree, at least for 4players) that assistant and associate are the strongest favors. If you reduce the likelihood of getting those two, the favor deck will be weaker, and people will be less likely to want to draw them. What else do you suppose would happen?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shoosh shoo
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think favours are a lot more valuable than ingredients, at least in the first half of the game. The last couple games ive played i utilized the favour spaces more and their help was sooooo worthwhile. Yes u can get a favour and not need it right away which sucks but honestly i always seem to find a use for them!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mihir Shah
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
RichardMNixon wrote:
stannius wrote:

All true, but what I'm saying is that some favors are worse than ingredients IMHO, you pay a "cost" to lose utility. I agree the instant-play requirement on herbalist is unnecessary.

jalwaaa wrote:

Of course it is about weak and strong, you even asked about balance. The only decision you make regarding the deck as a whole is whether you want to draw a favor or not. I think (and I believe others agree, at least for 4players) that assistant and associate are the strongest favors. If you reduce the likelihood of getting those two, the favor deck will be weaker, and people will be less likely to want to draw them. What else do you suppose would happen?

That also means some favors will be less likely to be drawn, eg. the sage, we had so many games where some of the favors are not seen at all and that is the reason the thought of equal quantities of favors popped in my head

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ramalingam Raghavan
India
CHENNAI
Tamilnadu
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Most of my games, I've had shuffle the favor deck. I don't find any issues with them. Normal tendency is to place on 2 favors spot if I have enough ingredients. If you get either Magic mortar or periscope, favor spot gets chosen often. Every round all the favor spots are usually barring the last round n round where you want to debunk.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.