Subject: Active equipment. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]

Washington
msg tools
badge
That's no moon....
mbmbmbmbmb
I know that with something like hide armor it's not optional the use it consecutively, but do you start the scenario with it active, as in the first 2 attacks against you in the scenario and first 2 attacks after a long rest, Or can you wait to activate it?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Noel Szczepanski
United States
Albuquerque
New Mexico
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You can wait to activate it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Montgomery Box
United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmb
If it's not spent, it's active. So first 2 of the scenario, and after it's refreshed (as after a long rest).

also note that if you have multiple items/effects that grant shield up, you get to choose the order they're applied in, and can "save" your consumable ones that way (because there isn't any more damage to apply)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Harrison
United States
Greenville
SC
flag msg tools
P0isson wrote:

I don't think this is correct. I don't have the hide armor card in front of me, but it's been stated before that using armor isn't optional (see page 2 of the FAQ), similar to how active abilities that shield aren't optional.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guti
Germany
flag msg tools
mb
P0isson wrote:

I'm pretty sure that's incorrect. The item is active at the start of the scenario and as long as the conditions are met, you have to spend the charge.

Maybe you are confusing it with "Leather armor"? That one has to be "manually" activated.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Harrison
United States
Greenville
SC
flag msg tools
Guti_ wrote:
P0isson wrote:

I'm pretty sure that's incorrect. The item is active at the start of the scenario and as long as the conditions are met, you have to spend the charge.

Maybe you are confusing it with "Leather armor"? That one has to be "manually" activated.

Wait, what? Where are you getting that distinction from? I would assume Leather Armor is also not optional based on the precedent for the other armors.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greece
Patras
flag msg tools
badge
mbmb
Excuse my highjacking but since it's relevant and I suppose it's been asked before, here goes: does the spellweaver frost armor thingie (don't have the card with me at the moment) eat away its charges from all types of dmg sources, that is proper attacks, retaliate, traps etc without having the option of skipping said source? And most importantly, since I am pretty sure about the first part, does it eat away its charges from dmg caused by short rest mulligan type card restoration?

thanks
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Harrison
United States
Greenville
SC
flag msg tools
eraserhead wrote:
Excuse my highjacking but since it's relevant and I suppose it's been asked before, here goes: does the spellweaver frost armor thingie (don't have the card with me at the moment) eat away its charges from all types of dmg sources, that is proper attacks, retaliate, traps etc without having the option of skipping said source? And most importantly, since I am pretty sure about the first part, does it eat away its charges from dmg caused by short rest mulligan type card restoration?

thanks

Yes and yes. I think the only time a charge isn't consumed is if she would take 0 damage without it, but I'd need to look at the card to confirm.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank Pelkofer
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
coblackmagus wrote:
Guti_ wrote:
P0isson wrote:

Wait, what? Where are you getting that distinction from? I would assume Leather Armor is also not optional based on the precedent for the other armors.

The distinction is that you have to tap the leather armor and the hide armor has charges. In general, players get to choose when to tap (assuming conditions are met), while charges are expended every time the conditions are met. It may seem strange, but the designer has ruled this way consistently.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guti
Germany
flag msg tools
mb
coblackmagus wrote:
eraserhead wrote:

thanks

Yes and yes. I think the only time a charge isn't consumed is if she would take 0 damage without it, but I'd need to look at the card to confirm.

Yep, without the card text is difficult to say, but I think you are right. I seem to remember that the card says "the next X sources of damage", key word sources instead of attacks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guti
Germany
flag msg tools
mb
countertorque wrote:
coblackmagus wrote:
Guti_ wrote:
P0isson wrote:

The distinction is that you have to tap the leather armor and the hide armor has charges. In general, players get to choose when to tap (assuming conditions are met), while charges are expended every time the conditions are met. It may seem strange, but the designer has ruled this way consistently.

Yes. I cannot find Isaac's ruling on this (probably somewhere on the FAQ?) but I am pretty sure he answered a question regarding the leather armor this way.

There is another thread* where the distinction between items with/without charges is made. Not by Isaac but by another forumer well versed in the rules.

Edit: well, it seems I don't know how to add a link This is the thread: https://boardgamegeek.com/article/25159166#25159166

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greece
Patras
flag msg tools
badge
mbmb
Guti_ wrote:
coblackmagus wrote:
eraserhead wrote:

thanks

Yep, without the card text is difficult to say, but I think you are right. I seem to remember that the card says "the next X sources of damage", key word sources instead of attacks.

It does say sources and I am totally on board with that, meaning stray dmg acquired outside of combat. It just sounds a bit of an overkill when consumed via the single self-afflicted dmg caused outside the turn. (Not that it cannot prove to be useful under specific circumstances).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jarad Bond
United States
Anchorage
Alaska
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Guti_ wrote:
coblackmagus wrote:
eraserhead wrote:

thanks

Also, for completeness, a recent thread stated that if the attack results in 0 damage, or if you reduce it through other means (for instance, a different shield ability) to 0 damage, it no longer counts as an attack or source of damage and does not spend one of your "next X attack" (or source) charges.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.