Subject: Automa Query for Non Attacking Move rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Andrew Wallwork
United Kingdom
Somerset
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Based on my board state as shown in the picture I'm not sure whether the Automa has a move or not. The mech closet to the Automa base is a tie break so the left hand one based on reading order. However the shortest distance from an enemy combat unit could be either the hex he is in or the one to the left of my Crimean mech. In that case does the Automa mech just stay where it is?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Reverend Uncle Bastard
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
Unapologetic Continual Troublemaker!
mbmbmbmbmb
tasmanuk wrote:
Based on my board state as shown in the picture I'm not sure whether the Automa has a move or not. The mech closet to the Automa base is a tie break so the left hand one based on reading order. However the shortest distance from an enemy combat unit could be either the hex he is in or the one to the left of my Crimean mech. In that case does the Automa mech just stay where it is?

You would decide between the possible hexes using the given tiebreakers. Since the hex the mech is already in is both closest to the factory and first in reading order, it would stay in the space it is in. To be clear though, this does count as a move, satisfying the move order for the automa so it would not look for an additional move on the automa card.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Morten Monrad Pedersen
Denmark
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
reverendunclebastard wrote:
tasmanuk wrote:

You would decide between the possible hexes using the given tiebreakers. Since the hex the mech is already in is both closest to the factory and first in reading order, it would stay in the space it is in. To be clear though, this does count as a move, satisfying the move order for the automa so it would not look for an additional move on the automa card.

@Rev, do you want to say it or should I?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Wallwork
United Kingdom
Somerset
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Don't keep me in suspense. What have I done wrong
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Morten Monrad Pedersen
Denmark
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
tasmanuk wrote:

Hehe, sorry. You have done nothing wrong. It's just a small in-joke between Rev and me. That he's almost always quicker than me to respond to Scythe Automa rule questions and then I come in a bit later and write something along the lines of:

"Just to give official confirmation: The Rev is right."

Here I should add that I was lead on the Automa for Scythe, which is why I can give official confirmation .

After a while it became: "Just to give official confirmation: The Rev is right (as always)."

Later on I asked him to simply add "Just to give official confirmation: The Rev is right (as always)." to all his Scythe Automa replies .
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Reverend Uncle Bastard
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mortenmdk wrote:
tasmanuk wrote:

Hehe, sorry. You have done nothing wrong. It's just a small in-joke between Rev and me. That he's almost always quicker than me to respond to Scythe Automa rule questions and then I come in a bit later and write something along the lines of:

"Just to give official confirmation: The Rev is right."

Here I should add that I was lead on the Automa for Scythe, which is why I can give official confirmation .

After a while it became: "Just to give official confirmation: The Rev is right (as always)."

Later on I asked him to simply add "Just to give official confirmation: The Rev is right (as always)." to all his Scythe Automa replies .

I am just worried that the first time I put my own "Official Confirmation" on a post, that will be the one that I get wrong!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Hall
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Want to piggy back off this example for some situations that came up my first play throughs. Imagine this same situation but the 2nd blue mech is all the way down in the tundra on bottom right. (Ignore if this is even possible in this game setup).

In general terms this is a situation where the automa mech that is closest to home base is already in the best valid spot, but there is a different automa mech that isn't near the factory or player combat unit and would be eligible to move if it was the selected unit.

Based on strict reading of which mech to select for movement I would guess the mech already in the spot "moves" and just stays there, but I almost felt like I should skip to another mech if it has a valid move.

Which is correct for this situation?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Reverend Uncle Bastard
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sigismundoh wrote:
Want to piggy back off this example for some situations that came up my first play throughs. Imagine this same situation but the 2nd blue mech is all the way down in the tundra on bottom right. (Ignore if this is even possible in this game setup).

In general terms this is a situation where the automa mech that is closest to home base is already in the best valid spot, but there is a different automa mech that isn't near the factory or player combat unit and would be eligible to move if it was the selected unit.

Based on strict reading of which mech to select for movement I would guess the mech already in the spot "moves" and just stays there, but I almost felt like I should skip to another mech if it has a valid move.

Your first instinct, with the "strict reading" is correct. The mech that is closest to the Automa's homebase would "move" to the space it is already in. Just follow the instructions to the letter.

Sometimes it may seem like it takes sub-optimal moves, but the Automa's strategy works well long-term. If it moved the theoretical second mech from the tundra, keep in mind it is shrinking the distance it can move workers, mechs and the character, removing an opportunity for an "encounter" move for its character by leaving the spot adjacent to the encounter. Don't worry about second guessing the efficiency of the Automa's moves, just follow the instructions closely and you'll be okay.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Morten Monrad Pedersen
Denmark
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
reverendunclebastard wrote:
Sigismundoh wrote:

Your first instinct, with the "strict reading" is correct. The mech that is closest to the Automa's homebase would "move" to the space it is already in. Just follow the instructions to the letter.

Sometimes it may seem like it takes sub-optimal moves, but the Automa's strategy works well long-term. If it moved the theoretical second mech from the tundra, keep in mind it is shrinking the distance it can move workers, mechs and the character, removing an opportunity for an "encounter" move for its character by leaving the spot adjacent to the encounter. Don't worry about second guessing the efficiency of the Automa's moves, just follow the instructions closely and you'll be okay.

Official confirmation: The Rev is right (as always) .
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.