Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Odd-Gunnar Wikmark
Norway
Kvaloysletta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Hi,

I want to buy one GTS game and I am really facinated by 506 PIR, so Where Eagles Dare seems to be the one I want. But my impression is that TGD or Devils Cauldron both offers more in scenarios, i.e. smaller maps. My reading of the available scenario-books seems to support that, but the Cauldron Scenario book is not online. Any input on this? Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ty Snouffer
United States
Downers Grove
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Akashi_12 wrote:
Hi,

I want to buy one GTS game and I am really facinated by 506 PIR, so Where Eagles Dare seems to be the one I want. But my impression is that TGD or Devils Cauldron both offers more in scenarios, i.e. smaller maps. My reading of the available scenario-books seems to support that, but the Cauldron Scenario book is not online. Any input on this? Thanks!

You are correct. All are great games, but if you want the 506th WED is where it is at. Latest rules? TGD. Most scenarios? TGD and TDC.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
武士に二言無し
Italy
Caravaggio near Bergamo near Milano
Europe + Earth + Via Lactea
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello,

Do u know that Utah sector is not yet published?
Immo, buying WED or future Utah just to play small scenarios is a no sense in $$ terms, probably because I love to play Campaign in every wargames ...
WED has an introductory scenario with a single 506's company, an advanced scenario with some 506's units, and the Campaign ... and the Campaign with TDC.

BR,

F.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Odd-Gunnar Wikmark
Norway
Kvaloysletta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Filippo Chiari wrote:
Hello,

Do u know that Utah sector is not yet published?
Immo, buying WED or future Utah just to play small scenarios is a no sense in $$ terms, probably because I love to play Campaign in every wargames ...
WED has an introductory scenario with a single 506's company, an advanced scenario with some 506's units, and the Campaign ... and the Campaign with TDC.

BR,

F.

Cheers, I think I´ll go for one of the two latter, even though no 506 - if I can get a good deal on any - the shipping to Norway really hurts.

It was very helpful the way you layed out the scernarios in WED, how´s the Devils Cauldron in terms of scenarios? I know TGD have quite a few.

No worries about the rules, I´ve got No Question of Surrender and I have printed and used the 2nd edition rules.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
武士に二言無し
Italy
Caravaggio near Bergamo near Milano
Europe + Earth + Via Lactea
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
TDC: 2 x introductory scenario, 2 x intermediate, 4 x advanced, 4 x campaign (historical drops/deployment limits, free drops/deployment limits, historical drops/no deployment limits and free drops/no deployment limits)
Want to play with me, look at my thread about summer holidays + wargames

Bye.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Runs with scissors
United States
Vancouver
Washington
flag msg tools
The die is cast.
badge
You say OCD like it's a bad thing.
mbmbmbmbmb
Another factor is that The Devil's Cauldron: The Battles for Arnhem and Nijmegen is out of print. Your best bet for that is eBay.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Prior
United Kingdom
Southsea
Hants
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
autumnweave wrote:
Another factor is that The Devil's Cauldron: The Battles for Arnhem and Nijmegen is out of print. Your best bet for that is eBay.

It's back on MMP's pre-order page
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Odd-Gunnar Wikmark
Norway
Kvaloysletta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
If I am not mistaken, the reprint of TDC is still the 1.0 rules? That makes TGD much more attractive

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Prior
United Kingdom
Southsea
Hants
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Akashi_12 wrote:
If I am not mistaken, the reprint of TDC is still the 1.0 rules? That makes TGD much more attractive

You're right, it does say 1.1 but the v2 rules are available here:
http://www.multimanpublishing.com/Support/GrandTacticalSerie...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ty Snouffer
United States
Downers Grove
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
sludgemariner wrote:
Akashi_12 wrote:

Yes, but they are not generally backwards-compatible with TDC or WED at this point.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Odd-Gunnar Wikmark
Norway
Kvaloysletta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
tsnouffer wrote:
sludgemariner wrote:
Akashi_12 wrote:

Yes, but they are not generally backwards-compatible with TDC or WED at this point.

Exactly, although I believe the main problem may be the attachment values on the leader counters that are missing from 1.1. if you can overlook that, then maybe???

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Curtis
United States
Christiana
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It is more than that. The independents are handled differently, the assault rules are changed, the artillery rules are changed, etc. All these things also change unit values on the counters.

It would take a major redo of the counters to make both TDC and WED 2.x compatible. Lucky for us, they are great with the 1.1 rules, we just need to remember which is which...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Odd-Gunnar Wikmark
Norway
Kvaloysletta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
sfu_fear wrote:
It is more than that. The independents are handled differently, the assault rules are changed, the artillery rules are changed, etc. All these things also change unit values on the counters.

It would take a major redo of the counters to make both TDC and WED 2.x compatible. Lucky for us, they are great with the 1.1 rules, we just need to remember which is which...

Ah I see. Thanks. I was playing NQoS with 2.o rules.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.