The Siege of Jerusalem (Third Edition)» Forums » Sessions

Subject: Campaign Game - AP I (Martijn & Alan) Turn 8 rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Martijn vR
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Finally night! And no, I didn't have experience with that part of game play. Of course, I knew the rules, but how they would play out in reality..
First of all, rally. Night has 2 negative effects on rally, a +1 penalty and the CC range of leaders and commanders is reduced by 2.
So actually, the chance of dying (or routing/panicking) is much higher at night..

The first one went well though..

The second one, almost having reached the safe area off-map (be sure to get them there before night falls!) was not so lucky.. a +4 modifier (+1 night, +1 no CC, +2 panick) sealed his fate..

The next two, closer to the fighting were a mixed bag.. One rallied (next to Titus), the other routed.

To the east, one unit on the wall rallied, the last one outside the walls failed to do so.

After rallies, the Judeans had only one shot..another side effect of night.. only adjacent hexes can be fired into..) and failed. (note that he could shoot at the base unit of the escalade because there was no ZOC left at night.. otherwise he could only have shot the adjacent unit on the wall).

Next, I did just the same.. (missing, that is)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martijn vR
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Before going on with the attack on the Tyropean, a small overview of all losses incurred by both sides up till this point:

Romans:
Titus + 1 Armored tower - no losses.

Vth Legion Macedonica
Cohorts 30 - 26 left (13% lost)
Light infantry + cav 24 - 20 left (17% lost)
Artillery 6 - 6 left (0% lost)
Siege equipment 4 - 4 left (0% lost)
Total legion: 65 units, 8 lost, 57 left (12% lost)

Xth Legion Fretensis
Light infantry + cav 24 - 21 left (13% lost)
Siege equipment 4 - 3 left (25% lost)
Total legion: 65 units, 8 lost, 57 left (12% lost)

XIIth Legion Fulminata
Cohorts 30 - 27 left (10% lost)
Light infantry + cav 24 - 21 left (13% lost)
Siege equipment 4 - 4 left (0% lost)
Total legion: 65 units, 6 lost, 59 left (9% lost)

XVth Legion Appolinaris
Light infantry + cav 24 - 19 left (21% lost)
Siege equipment 4 - 3 left (25% lost)
Total legion: 65 units, 10 lost, 55 left (15% lost)

The total of the four legions and Titus/Armored tower was:
Start 262 units, 32 units lost (12% lost), 230 left.

These figures are quite good, although the 32 units represent 164 VP (mainly the ram and tower). And I still had 3 night turns to go. I wouldn't exceed the 400VP, I thought, but would I be able to minimise losses and capture the Tyropean? That would really be an accomplishment.

But first a look at the Judean forces
Ben Yair, still alive
Zealots: start 16 + 3 reserve = 19 - 2 left (89% lost)
Artillery: start 27, no reserves - 17 left (37% lost - cauldrons and catapults of course)
Garrison units: start 20, no reserves - 20 left (0% lost)

Ben Giora Faction
Leader: start 1 - 0 left (100% lost)
Regulars: start 12, reserves 0 = 12 - 2 left (83% lost)
Militia: start 18, reserves 0 = 18 - 1 left (94% lost)
Total faction: start 31, reserves 0 = 31 - 28 lost, 3 left (90% lost)

Ben Shimon Faction
Leader: start 1 - 1 left (0% lost)
Regulars: start 6, reserves 0 = 6 - 4 left (33% lost)
Militia: start 12, reserves 0 = 12 - 3 left (75% lost)
Total faction: start 19, reserves 0 = 19 - 11 lost, 8 left (58% lost)

Ben Gurion Faction
Regulars: start 10, reserves 2 = 12 - 8 left (33% lost)
Militia: start 6, reserves 8 = 14 - 1 left (93% lost)
Total faction: start 17, reserves 10 = 27 - 17 lost, 10 left (63% lost)

Ben Levi Faction
Regulars: start 10, reserves 4 = 14 - 4 left (71% lost)
Militia: start 18, reserves 7 = 25 - 5 left (80% lost)
Total faction: start 29, reserves 11 = 40 - 30 lost, 10 left (75% lost)

Total Judean forces:
Start: 160 units, reserves 24 = 184 units - 113 lost, 71 left (61% lost)

If you compare the losses of the two, it might seem a foregone conclusion that the Judeans are in for a tough fight.. However, 28 units will be called up as reserves in the Tyropean city. And of course, night...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martijn vR
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The first moves were near the Psephinus. I had 3 moves left, so I really had to hurry to take out the three fortresses. I decided to move first against the weakest of the three, the isolated one to the south. I could achieve a flank attack there, but still needed a good roll (5-6) to ensure success, or better, to avoid a deadly counter fire from the ballista, cauldron and archer.

You might wonder why the ram in the north didn't move against the fort, but against the wall. Just a matter of simple math.. The northern fort needed 10 damage (with 5 fire phases left), whereas the Southern fort just 5 (with 3 fire phases left, once I had moved there). With double AF, the Southern fort was more likely to fall this AP, but to get the ram there, you need a 2 breach fort..

Not sure if I mentioed it already, but the grey crosses indicate Roman control.. Not that that would be jeapordized this AP.

In the south, my units left the catapult alone (could be dealt with later) to take the cauldron in the fort. Note that it's senseless to attack the fort for control, unless I would capture Yafo gate as well this AP (very unlikely). But killing a cauldron is Always fun.

Other units set up escalades (green circles) near the empty bastions

After movement - one bastion captures, the other will share its fate after melee (remember the 'empty-wall-rule')

In the east, the units moved very carefully south, supporting the ram. By this time I was really affraid of sorties. Notice how Alan had all his fire power (and melee power) gathered near the eastern wall. Didn't want to suffer the destruction of another ram.. or part of a legion. The artillery, having become useless in the night, retired north, away from any possible sortie. Other units took up positions vacated by the Judeans. Didn't see a way of moving more units without exposing them too much.. Perhaps a sortie could have been a good thing, drawing defenders further away from the fighting in the Tyropean.
But still, no matter what, things didn't progress very quickly here..

After movement:

Finally, the Tyropean city.

If you ever plan on repeating this (assaulting a city without siege engines), be sure to learn the rules for escalades. They are a very slow way to get into a city (maximum 2 units per escalade, 4 MF to enter, 2 MF to get on top of the wall, 2 MF to get off the wall, meaning a heavy infantry takes on turn to get over the wall). Some rules questions popped up, like: if a velitae is escalade base with 2 units on top at the start of a round (so that escalade is full), can it disband the escalade (after the units move off) and move and put up a new one (with again 2 units that may use it). Or can he do it in the same hex? We concluded that the best way to see it was to restrict the 2 units only for units entering the escalade (so the 2 on top already don't count, they were the 2 from last turn). The rules specifically mention 'moving on top of an escalade', so it seems plausible.
Anyway, many escalades were put up against the wall (green circles).

I decided not to enter the city yet, since I had only a few units avaiable for that purpose. It would give Alan an extra die for reserves. I counted on being able to enter the city the next turn..

An overview of all movement in the city:
Before:

After movement:
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martijn vR
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Melee. Not to exciting, except the first one! I needed a 5 or 6 against the Psephinus complex, or I would have to face to rounds of relentless fire from the ballista against my units in the open field.. (note that that's possible while it's night, with ZOC away. Otherwise it would have needed to target my units on the wall, that have a ZOC on it).

But sometimes Lady Luck is on your side..

A six!! This destroyed both the ballista and the cauldron - the only one able to resist a next (Continuous combat) attack is the regular..

And he did.cry

Near Yafo gate, the attack on the cauldron only managed to push the unit back into the gate..

In the east, one weak attack along the wall failed. One attack on that lone irritating militia killed it. Of course, I didn't advance..

Finally, after all fighting died down, all units on escalades could move onto the empty walls.
Before movement

After movement

End so ends the Roman's first night turn.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Veenstra
Netherlands
Delft
flag msg tools
Attaque! Toujours attaque!!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
woehaah. What an interesting situation..

It sure looks like that the Judean commander Alan Ben Lipka has been a ruthless commander of his own troops.. "Into the breach men! You can only crumple once into to cardboard dust..!! Won´t hurt a bit.. " gulp

But now of course the reserves will pop up.. devil

Exciting!!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martijn vR
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Peter!
Good that you drop by! Yeah Alan was really ruthless.. if you look at the number of units he has left on the board, you'd think that I'll have an easy victory here.. but somehow the number of units always look daunting when the fill up the whole Temple, Antonia and environs..`
And the reserves will prove to be an unreliable surprise, for both parties..

But the skill of Alan to make the best out of situations with just a few units is really remarkable. But will he succeed now? Or will it be a wrong bet for him? devil

Do you still (or again) play this marvelous game? or still on ASL?

Best
Martijn

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martijn vR
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Much of Alan's ability to respond depended on the number of reserves at his disposal.. that's why I restrained myself from entering the city itself for one more turn..

And it helped! He rolled a 1, only getting 4 units in total. To add insult to injury, he got 2 militia and only 1 regular and 1 zealot.. (marked with a yellow star)

Rally wasn't much better.. Ben Shimon, although safely in the Temple Quarter, routed.. Two panicked militia nearby failed to rally as well.. but at least the didn't die of pure fright..

Finally, in the west two rallies. The beleaguered regular in the Psephinus complex routed, whereas the catapult rallied.
(Note that the actual order of rallying is different - first the leader, than the units from west to east. For the sake of readability I mixed them up in these pictures).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martijn vR
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Since night has fallen, fire phases are becoming a short affair.. therefore I summarized the Roman and Judean firephases in two pictures.

Near Psephinus the ram had luck and broke through the wall. Now it only had to move through to get to the Psephinus next turn.. unless those pesky militia manage to hit it. Which they did, disrupting the ram.. Well Alan was due for some luck I think

In the east one testudo failed to hit their mark on the wall. Their counterpart was more Lucky, disrupting the velitae in the testudo
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martijn vR
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So, given the fact that the Judean has precious few units available, what will Alan do? In his own words:

Quote:
This took some real thinking, even with so few units. Lepidus has only one Cohort he can bring to bear in the TC, but combined with Titus can be a real steamroller. That limits such a stack to Clear hexes though, so we will need to block that stack with ben Yair. Otherwise, the BU's are my best friend. Roman incursion into them will be limited by Movement Factors. That may give us enough time to gather the troops for an effective defense. I suspect this will come down to control of one or two hexes in the TC. About Psephinus: The Ram ... it is really tempting to take the 1:3 chance to get a continuous combat. But I really want to hold the Psephinus Tower Forts so we can give you fits later. I will pass on any melee there ... trust to bad Rally dr's ... and good DFPh dr's !

First he moved the units on the western wall of the Tyropean:

Note that the tilted Roman units are out of command control range.

Alan's comments:
Quote:
The Cauldron in the Yafo Tower Complex will do this ...

(= moving next to the bastion in the north)

Quote:
Now your boys in the Bastion cannot move down the Staircase, as it would be moving adjacent to an enemy unit on an Elevated hex. I do so love the NIGHT !

After the zealot left the gate fort to attack:
Quote:
To make things worse, this Zealot will take out the Velitae holding the ladders. :-)

Can't leave that Fort open for you to use the Gate, so ...
(Moves a militia in the gate fort)

Quote:
And since we don't want the FHI in the V25 Bastion to enter the TC, we will do this ...

(moves another militia next to the bastion in the north)

Quote:
Again ... can't go down the Staircase because it would be moving adjacent to an enemy unit on an Elevated hex. Command Control ... NIGHT !!! Love it ...

Note how I had extended my lines (again), which can be deadly at night. Command control is reduced by 2 hexes and since my leader moved to the west to take Psephinus, these units were all out on their own.. And now they were locked up in their bastions, like Rapunzel.. unable to climb down. Alan was right when he wrote that I had no experience with night turns..

Quote:
Over to ben Yair, where he is happy to be among BEN LIPKA's Regulars ... He sends one to shoot at the Velitae holding ladders for the FHI in the V25 Bastion ...

Note how Alan is looking at defence, but doesn't miss out on the opportunity to grab some points.. even if it means moving a zealot into the New City, where he will probably die..

After movement the situation looked like this:

But first to the east.. where the greatest concentration of good Judean units is located.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martijn vR
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In the east Alan started to move the valuable units to the west, finally entering the Tyropean.. Apparently he had counted on more reserves, since the same units had left this city area last turn.
But would this detour be fatal to the Judean cause?

Still 4 units were send outside the walls in the east to (again) block the ram still going south to break down the Temple wall.. which seemed to be becoming more and more an impossibilty.. Meaning I couldn't send a mine through the wall towards the inner temple wall in AP 2..
With no fire power except very close range, those units were blocking progress nicely (for Alan, that is..)

Quote:
That gives us 11 CVP and the Ram goes nowhere. Still a threat for Turn 10 though. You will have to secure hexes adjacent to the Walls though, and that will cost more CVP.

Next he moved almost all remaining units of the Ben Gurion faction (and one lost Ben Levi regular) through the bastion gate into the Tyropean city. Two went north to block the stairs from the Roman held bastion.
The others stayed on the road at the foot of the Antonia Fortress. The temple was only occupied by the garrison units, and some militia 'to exit the gate as blockers'.. I hate militia! The Garrisons of both the Temple and the Antonia were a bit reshuffled to provide better defence.

Focussing on the Tyropean city, where the big battle was about to unfold.. the moves looked like this:

The units near the Roman legions formed a short line from the bastion in the north to the southeast, with the help of Ben Yair.

Quote:
That line will force you to decide how to allocate units as they enter the TC. Attacking means giving up BU Control. Capturing BU's means a smaller attack. Looking forward to seeing how you will play that ...

After movement:

Alan:
Quote:
That's it. Now it all depends on the Roman movement and how many BU's they want to take. Delicate balance here ... and some risk for both of us !
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martijn vR
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Next, the melee phase.

The zealot west of the Tyropean easily overran the velitae holding the ladders and advanced.

The next attack against the heavy infantry pushed it a hex back. Alan advanced into the Built up. The next attack finally failed (heavy infantry in Built ups are quite hard to dislodge, even at night).

One weak attack in the east accomplished nothing.

Alan:
Quote:
Looks as if it will be a race to see who can get into the BU's first ! Counted hexes and I think you can get 13 of them on T9. Might be able to push you out of one or two in my T9. Then you get more back ... not sure how many ... and I can try to re-capture enough to save the day. In any event, I think the Judaean CVP total will go over 200. That was the goal I had by drawing you into the TC. The risk, of course, was that you would actually TAKE the TC ... but I don't think that will happen. AP II will be unlike any other I have played, that's for sure !
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.