Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Félix Beaudouin
France
flag msg tools
Turn 1
Rome went Dalmatia, Fortress Caravan
Egypt took Jerusalem
Persia went for troia and has one Fortress and one legion there.
Carthage hasn't played yet.

You play Greece, what would you do ?
Try to grab Syracuse, even though Carthage could counter ?
Build a trireme and two legions and go occupy Gallia for a turn 2 with 11 ressources, the militarry leader title and a weakened (but angry) Rome empire ?
Something else ?
Stupid question because a good Egyptian player would never let Carthage play last ?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Park
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
I'm not sure I would be afraid of Carthage at this point. You can never dismiss it, of course, but Carthage would probably be more invested in taking Garamantia in this case.

I might have to fight Carthage for Syracuse, but I'm willing to do that because I'm Greece and I will probably win that long term and this is not the stage in the game that Carthage wants to be heavily invested in war (whereas Greece is always ok with investing in a war machine, because that's Greece's strength).

One could always, as well, try to openly negotiate with Carthage. The one thing Carthage is desperate for are allies. Rome is a threat from the North, Egypt is a threat to the east. Giving up Syracuse, that they may or may not have had designs on, for Greece's "aid" is a deal many Carthage players would make. This is most likely my move.

You can try and strike at Rome's underbelly. It's never a bad idea for Greece to weaken Rome. But Rome is the one empire that Greece should be wary of doing war with, as, while their powers don't cancel out, they do mitigate each other.

Honestly, as I answer most of these questions, it largely depends on the personality of the players who play these empires. Mare Nostrum is a game with a strong social aspect. It's hard to ignore that like it's just chess.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Félix Beaudouin
France
flag msg tools
hippibashr wrote:

Honestly, as I answer most of these questions, it largely depends on the personality of the players who play these empires. Mare Nostrum is a game with a strong social aspect. It's hard to ignore that like it's just chess.

don't worry about that. Of course it is 100% true. But if we want to talk Mare Nostrum strategy we need to talk as if all the opponents were unpredictable bastards !

Also when considering a move based on what you suppose is a players personnality you can misjudge completely or he might decide to surprise you... so that's not always a good base either for your choices i guess...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.