GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!

8,191 Supporters

$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
21 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
3 Posts

Steampunk Rally» Forums » Variants

Subject: Deck building rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
J RS
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
Love the game.

My friend and I thought it might add an element of specialization and strategy if we "built" our own card decks so that our contraptions were more specialized. I must say we both really enjoyed the process of putting them together and pitting them against one another.

Rules are simple enough, but with the understanding that this really only works for 2 player races, due to the amount of cards that come with the game. We came up with "themes" so to speak that had to differ from one another so that we weren't trying to use the same cards. We each built a deck with 40 cards each. Each deck could contain any amount of any type of card. All cards were shuffled into one draw pile, not 4.

I decided it would be interesting to combine George Washington Carvers shield generating ability with rocket boosters so that he could offset the damage from the boosters themselves easily.

My friend used the Right Brothers with a focus on steam and smooth motion.

The draft phase was simply the both of us drawing 4 cards and using them however we wished. We did not pass any cards.

I won't tell you who won, but it was a photo finish! Being able to customize our machines was both rewarding and cut down on the frustration of getting cards that we couldn't do anything with. (This still happened, but to a lesser extent).

The only real problem, if it is a problem, is that our machines were superior and could therefore generate more motion faster. Some may feel this takes some of the challenge out, but there is no real unfair advantage, since both of us were doing it.

Nevertheless, we decided that what our vehicles really needed was mounted weaponry! So we will be working on that and testing them out. We have some good ideas that won't add any extra phases or boggle the rules too much and we will be creating more decks and trying different combinations. We are really looking forward to the upcoming expansion so that we can add in more options.

Happy gaming!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Duggie Dowling
United Kingdom
Reading
Berkshire
flag msg tools
I'm terribly sorry... but I probably wasn't listening.
badge
I vote for Shenanigans and Monkey Business.
mbmbmbmbmb
That is a very interesting idea... I have a least one friend who likes Steampunk Rally as much as I do and may be up for trying this out, thanks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Orin Bishop
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sounds neat! meeple

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.