Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Randall Ingersoll
United States
Port Orange
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The 2017 Hive Tournament at www.BoardSpace.net is now open for registration.

http://boardspace.net/cgi-bin/tournament-signup.cgi?tourname...

If you are interested in registering for the tournament, please login and confirm that you are set to play by playing at least one game between now and the tournament start (expected start date in 04-17-2017)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randall Ingersoll
United States
Port Orange
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As of 27 March, 18 players registered.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
We've reached the finals at this point, with many great games and unexpected results along the way.

Eucalyx is up to his old tricks, by virtue of some new ones, and is trying to win the tournament again this year. After getting past stepanzo in the semi-finals (the same opponent he faced in the 2014 finals when he previously won), he finds himself within striking distance of the ultimate prize once again.

His opponent, Jewdoka, is a first time finalist. Credited by Quodlibet in 2015 for helping him get in shape to win the tournament that year, they found themselves matched up against each other in the semi-finals this year. Jewdoka found a way to win that match... but can he do it again?

First game(s) scheduled for less than 24 hours from now: Friday August 18, 11pm GMT (4pm PST). Watch live, or review the replay whenever you want, at boardspace.net
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jew Doka
United States
South Dakota
flag msg tools
What a journey!
This is a title I have wanted for some time now and it feels great!!!
Thank you to all my opponents and to everyone who competed in the tournament. As a member of the tournament committee, I feel we put on a pretty great tournament!

I want to comment on the other finalists.

Stepanzo! What a creative player. The only player to get the better of me in a single phase of the tournament! (I must point out that we are tied 3-3 from phase one and two) Stepanzo has single handedly expanded my game into being a strong "c" player. Many of my tactics are based off of his whims.

Quodlibet! What a wizard! His reactions are legendary and he showed me the power of defense and life in the game beyond tempo. I was lucky enough to be quods throwing dummy two years ago when he won the tournament and it inspired me to understand his indirect strategies. For the next year after that, I dedicated myself to adopting some of these strategies and becoming basically the "poormans" quodlibet. I learned so much. To beat quodlibet, I had to learn so much more... how do you beat someone who can control you!? ...you become uncontrollable! I did my best Eucalyx impression to beat quod and I did my best quodlibet impression to beat Eucalyx . Thank you quodlibet!

Eucalyx! If quodlibet is a wizard, Eucalyx must be a warlock! Such a contrasting style to quodlibet, but just as dangerous! Studying for Eucalyx proves very difficult and if it wasn't for his very strong and successful mos open for white, I wouldn't know what to concentrate on! Eucalyx plays a wide variety of openings and is adaptable to many sorts of strategies. I have been lucky enough to absorb many of these strategies while playing with Eucalyx over the last year at bga. Eucalyx gave me the gift of chaos. When you think you know how the game will progress and then suddenly the shape of the game changes and unfolds uncontrollably... that's Eucalyx! It is a very valuable lesson that he thought me: attack is strong. This contrasts my other mantra: all attacks suck! It's up to you to figure out why and exploit it.

Eucalyx made a comment that if it wasn't for our constant games with each other he/we would not have advanced so far in the tournament. I agree with this notion and I am lucky enough to be able to absorb strategies from a myriad of other talented players as well.

Special thanks to radek0, titi91, bitsofgreg, lambda22, ialba, Ringersoll, Ivasilr, veme/nevir, pelleseren, tanksc, and cloud8. (Of course the finalists and many more as well ) without these players to give me so many games, I would not be the player I am today!

Super special thanks to tzimarou, who has given me constant high quality games for 2.5 years straight. Never once have we not had a turnbased game open at bga during this time. I have learned so much from these games and I couldn't have done it without you pal!

I have many notes written out on paper and a proper grasp on many strategies that I plan on detailing and releasing to the public at some point, after all my philosophy is that if I am completely transparent with my plans, strategies and the like, then the games will get tougher and tougher forcing me to raise to new heights.

-Jewdoka
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.