BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » General Gaming

Subject: Name of old British chess-like game? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: hivemind [+] [View All]
Jemmus RG
United States
New York
flag msg tools
Back in the 1970s(!) I read about a boardgame from Britain. I've always wanted to play it, but I can't remember the name. It's kind of like chess, but played on a plastic board with holes in it and pegs for playing pieces. Can anybody help with the name, so I can maybe find it? Here's a description from memory:

The board has holes in it. Each hole connected to the adjacent holes by a line. So I guess 8 lines-- front, back, left, right, and four diagonals.

The playing pieces are plastic pegs that fit into the holes. The basic pawn-like piece has one line printed on it. In his turn, a player can: rotate the piece to align it to one of the lines coming from the hole; or, move the piece one hole, along any line it is already aligned to. The more powerful pieces have different combinations of lines printed on them-- crosses, L-shapes, wedge shapes, stars, etc. So in any turn they had more options for lines they could move along, so they are more mobile. And some can move more than one hole per turn. I remember one very mobile piece was called a "lancer."

Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Case
United States
Greensboro
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Are you sure about the holes and pegs?

Other than that part, Ploy does sound like the game you are describing, and does have pieces called "lances".

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jemmus RG
United States
New York
flag msg tools
That's it! Thanks man! I'd never have found that via an internet search.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Case
United States
Greensboro
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jemmus wrote:
That's it! Thanks man! I'd never have found that via an internet search.

Glad I could help, and welcome to BGG!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Saxton
United States
Affton (St. Louis)
Missouri
flag msg tools
After all, gas can is my middle name. Eh, not really.
mbmbmbmbmb
Thirteen whole minutes before an answer. You folks are slacking!! devil
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.