Watson & Holmes» Forums » General

Subject: How quickly can a mystery be solved? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Rich Hall
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi there, I'm looking to pick this up and perhaps use one of the mysteries for an event at work but I need some help with the following:

- Over the event I'm only expecting each team to be able to look at say 5-6 cards - is it likely or even possible to solve any of the mysteries with this few a number of cards?

- If not - how many cards would you need to visit to have at least a decent chance of being able to solve the mystery?

- Which mystery would require the least no. of cards to visit?

Thanks for any help you can give!

-Rich
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Er
Singapore
Singapore
flag msg tools
badge
Hi Rich

5-6 cards is definitely not enough
One case takes about 1hr 30mins minimum and a lot of grey matter esp for the later cases

It's hard to say how many cards you need to visit because sometimes even after reading 90-100% of the cards, if the deduction/inference flies over your head, you may never get the right answer
(In this game, reading all the cards is not enough to win. Being able to deduce the method/motive/incident through inference and scene re-creation is the key to winning)

As for least cards, the beginner case should be the one that requires the least cards
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich Hall
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Interesting, thanks for the reply. I wonder if I might be able to simplify one of the easier cases and have it solved with 10 cards...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Gardner
United States
Kingston
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
RichmanUK wrote:
Interesting, thanks for the reply. I wonder if I might be able to simplify one of the easier cases and have it solved with 10 cards...

I solved the second case after two cards, so I think mileage may vary.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Dewsbery
United Kingdom
Sutton Coldfield
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I solve a two-pipe difficulty case last night in five cards, although the tentative solution I'd written down after just four of them was completely correct (card 5 just confirmed that something I'd guessed at was in fact right). And that's a "medium" difficulty case. But I got lucky - every card I looked at was helpful, and cards 4 & 5 were key. I'd made a lucky guess with card four that the location would be helpful to me, based on little more than a stab-in-the-dark hunch.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hardy
Germany
Münster
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
The shortest case I experienced was someone picking the correct solution after just 3 clues. He was lucky in location selection and did a good job in guessing some things.

Most other cases took much longer for the 1st player to solve it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.