Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Stefan
Germany
flag msg tools
mb
FULL DECK HERE

Hey everybody!
This is the first custom deck I’ve posted in this forum. I hope you like it!

The idea was to create an ice-themed hero, that really feels like she’s freezing the villains and making them immovable. I really like Absolute Zero’s deck and mechanics but I feel like that is something that he is missing. The only card that captures that thematic feeling is “subzero atmosphere” and it’s therefore my favorite card of his. But I wanted more like that.

Icegirl has a bunch of different mechanics in her deck, that represent freezing villains to ice statues. So her main role in a team is a mix of slowing down the villain and damage dealing.

A thousand thanks to everybody, who helped to create this deck! And especially to Adelphophage, who not only put Icegirl on his Google Drive, but also developed the deck with me together, designed the cards and came up with most of the flavor text.

Icegirl
24 hp
Shiver
Power: Select a target. Reduce the next damage dealt by that target by 2.

Incap:
- A hero may destroy one of their ongoing cards to play 2 cards.
- Reduce damage dealt by the environment by 2 until the start of your next turn.
- Put a freeze token on a non-character target. The next time it would activate a start of turn or end of turn effect, remove the freeze token instead.

------------------------
Promo Card
Icegirl Winter's Wrath
26 hp
Frostbite
Power: Icegirl deals 1 target 2 cold damage.

Incap:
- One hero may use a power now.
- One hero may deal 1 target 2 cold damage now.
- Select a target. Reduce all damage dealt by that target by 1 until the start of your next turn.

--------------------------
One-Shots (15 total)
--------------------------
Ice Lash (2x)
one-shot
Icegirl deals 1 target 3 cold damage. If that traget took damage this way, put a Freeze Token on that card.
The next time that card would activate a start or end of turn effect, remove a freeze token instead.

Chill Wind (3x)
one-shot
Icegirl deals up to 3 targets 1 cold damage each. Put a Freeze token on each non-character card target dealt damage this way.
the next time each of those cards would activate a start of turn or end of turn effect, remove a freeze token from that card instead.

Glacial Strike (2x)
one-shot
Icegirl deals 1 target 3 cold damage.
You may play a copy of Frost Shell from your hand or trash next to that target.

Cold Shoulder (3x)
one-shot
You may draw up to 2 cards.
Select a target. Reduce damage dealt by that target by 1 until the start of your next turn.

Frozen Wastelands (3x)
one-shot
Select 1 non-indestructible environment card in play, and put it on top of the environment deck.
reduce damage dealt by environment cards by 2 until the start of your next turn.

Snow Fall (2x)
one-shot
Icegirl deals up to 5 targets 1 cold damage each.
If a hero target is damaged this way, its player draws x cards, where x is the amount of cold damage it was dealt.

-----------------------------------------
Ongoing (25 total)
-----------------------------------------
Elemental Blast (3x)
Ongoing
Power: Icegirl deals 1 target 1 projectile damage and 1 cold damage. You may draw a card.

Arctic Aura (3x)
Ongoing, limited
Increase cold damage dealt by Icegirl by 1.
Increase fire damage dealt to Icegirl by 1.
Power: Icegirl regains 2 hp. You may destroy this card.

Playing with Fire (3x)
Ongoing, limited
Change all damage dealt to Icegirl to fire damage.
Power: Icegirl deals up to 3 targets 2 cold damage each. You may destroy this card.

Brain Freeze (3x)
Ongoing, limited
When a villain card would enter play and there are no cards under this card, you may move it under this card instead. When this card leaves play, put the card under it into play.
At the start of the villain turn, if there is a card under this card, destroy this card.

Thermal Void (4x)
ongoing
Play this card next to a non-hero, non-indestructible, non-character card. That card loses all its game text and is indestructible. If it is a target, it is immune to damage. At the start of your turn, destroy this card.

Shatter (2x)
ongoing
When a target is destroyed by cold damage, Icegirl may deal each non-hero target 2 projectile damage. If Icegirl deals damage this way, destroy one of your ongoing cards.

Ice Slide (4x)
ongoing, limited
When an ongoing card is destroyed by one of your cards, you may use a power.
power: Play a card. You may destroy this card.

Frost Shell (3x)
Play this card next to a target.
When the target next to this card would deal damage, prevent that damage and destroy this card.

Some notes:
- Icegirl combines a mix of control and damage dealing abbilties. Her way of supporting her team is to slow down everything the villain and environment do.
- Chill Wind and Cryonic Kick place Freeze Tokens on targets, which causes them to skip their next action. To indicate that, I use the blue 25hp tokens and place them on the text box of the card that I'm blocking.
- Arctic Aura and Playing with fire can be combined to give you a really strong damaging power, but would also increase all damage dealt to Icegirl by 1.
- Ice Slide triggers off you destroying ongoing cards. Alot of Icegirl's own cards can be destroyed while using their powers, which let's her chain them into bigger combos.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Re: Custom Hero: Icegirl
I really like that deck! I always wondered why there is no other hero with ice powers besides Absolute Zero. Good job! Now we need tosx to draw it

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stefan
Germany
flag msg tools
mb
Thank you! that would be of course totally awesome but i'm sure Matthew has better things to do in his free time i actually just ordered all the cauldron stuff and am super excited for it to arrive!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
You won't regret it. I have every single card made by tosx and they're all perfect. My girlfriend loves his work more than the original Sentinels decks especially because of Lady of The Wood and Starlight. laugh

She always asking me about tosx and if he has new plans...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Richardson
United States
Alabama
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Cool idea (pun not intended). I think there's a solid foundation to work on here.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Hunter
New Zealand
flag msg tools
This is an interesting hero - icy powers but plays nothing like Absolute Zero, a controller and suppressor rather than a (wierd) damage dealer.

A few notes...

The Freeze skipping start of turn/end of turn is cool, but it would probably be safer if it didn't work on character cards? Doing this on the villain could be somewhere between overpowered and completely breaking the game if the start of turn is important - in many cases it is what flips the boss, for example. I really like the idea of marking the target for other stuff (like Burst apart) to take advantage of, there is a LOT you can do in this space.

On the other end, I can also see situations where there is an end of turn effect I want to stop, but there is a start of turn that will get stopped first? An example would be the Ambitious racketeer where the start of turn is trivial and the end of turn is brutal. The trigger could possibly be when it would activate a start of turn/end of turn you may remove the token to prevent? This would also let you keep tokens around if you wish (say, for Burst apart)

Frozen Wastelands is a very cool design that makes sense for the flavour, likewise Frozen Shell, nice work!

Slow down and Flash Freeze are both really clever, slowing but not stopping the baddie, again great work for a controller!

Burst apart reads a bit awkwardly to me. I get you can kill frozen things, makes perfect sense, but the randomly destroying ongoings is a bit odd and feels bolted on. Not a big deal, but doesn't seem that organic. I blow up that Blade Batallion, which makes the Baron drop standing some distance back lose his force field?

Regarding names, some ideas...

Slow Down = Brain Freeze
Burst Apart = Shatter
Bitter winds = Chill wind
Ice Bash = Cryonic kick
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexa Elvrayen

California
msg tools
I'm with Adelphophage - being able to shut down character cards is going to be absurdly powerful.

Cool Down can probably be reduced in clunkiness. "You may play a copy of Frost Shell from your hand next to that target" conveys the same message in a clearer way.

Frozen Wasteland is interesting, but it doesn't need to specify "non-indestructible", as being indestructible means a card can't be removed from play period.

Frost Blast is smart, giving her a bigger power, but why energy damage? It's always been associated with things like lasers, or Doctor Medico, etc. I would change it to projectile, it makes more sense (ice shards/hail), but that's just me.

Playing with Fire could basically be a one shot - unless you're playing with Ra, you don't really care about the damage type. And if you play it while Iceform is out, you're going to be destroying it immediately anyway.

Flash Freeze gets the same note on "non-indestructible".

Also with Adelphopage on Burst Apart being a little weird.

Ice Slide has a lot of problems. Against villains with no ongoings, it's a relatively dead draw.
Even if the villain has ongoings, you only ever get to use it right after Ice Bash or Chill Winds - as those tokens are removed before it's your turn again. And then you have to hope the villain has targets low enough, and ongoings, and even then you can only destroy one ongoing, netting you... Almost always 1 damage, unless you have Frost Blast on top of all these other conditions.
It's a really cool idea, but with a hero who can only destroy ongoings with one power, and only once per turn, it falls a little flat.
Maybe make it something like "When Icegirl destroys a target, she deals 1 target 2 cold damage" or something? You retain the combo part without having to worry about a half dozen variables. Plus it could give her some potentially brutal turns.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Hunter
New Zealand
flag msg tools
Alexa_Elvrayen wrote:
Frozen Wasteland is interesting, but it doesn't need to specify "non-indestructible", as being indestructible means a card can't be removed from play period.

In the OP's defense, this is consistent with into the Stratosphere. Having said that, not sure if there are any indestructible environment cards off the top of my head?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stefan
Germany
flag msg tools
mb
Thank you both for the feedback it's really appreciated and I'will gladly make some of your suggested changes!

Adelphophage wrote:

The Freeze skipping start of turn/end of turn is cool, but it would probably be safer if it didn't work on character cards? Doing this on the villain could be somewhere between overpowered and completely breaking the game if the start of turn is important - in many cases it is what flips the boss, for example.

That's the reason why only 1 of 2 one-shots can be used on character cards. I think it would be actually be fitting for Icegirl to stop Citizen Dawn for 1 more round from flipping - there are other heros who can achieve the same but in a different way, like visionary and her trash manipulation. But I agree, might be too powerful in certain situations. Do you think cutting it down to only 2 copies of that card would make a difference?

Adelphophage wrote:

On the other end, I can also see situations where there is an end of turn effect I want to stop, but there is a start of turn that will get stopped first? An example would be the Ambitious racketeer where the start of turn is trivial and the end of turn is brutal. The trigger could possibly be when it would activate a start of turn/end of turn you may remove the token to prevent? This would also let you keep tokens around if you wish (say, for Burst apart)

Maybe that could get too powerful, especially if i would still allow to place freeze tokens on character cards. Then you could start collecting and safing them for later in the game. I need to test if that could get out of hand. And by the way, wouldn't it work against the thematic flavor? if a target was frozen, how could it trigger a start of turn action but not an end of turn action?

Adelphophage wrote:

Frozen Wastelands is a very cool design that makes sense for the flavour, likewise Frozen Shell, nice work!
Slow down and Flash Freeze are both really clever, slowing but not stopping the baddie, again great work for a controller!

Thank you!

Adelphophage wrote:

Burst apart reads a bit awkwardly to me. I get you can kill frozen things, makes perfect sense, but the randomly destroying ongoings is a bit odd and feels bolted on. Not a big deal, but doesn't seem that organic. I blow up that Blade Batallion, which makes the Baron drop standing some distance back lose his force field?

Yes, i think you are right. But I wanted that effect here, because it makes it kind of hard for her to destroy ongoings and this is a really specific combo too pull off, since you have to play a freeze token one-shot in the same turn that you use the power. I actually looked at Knyfe's Prototype Servo-Gauntlet for inspiration. And the ongoing destruction could also trigger ice slides combo machinery, which really speeds her up!

Adelphophage wrote:

Slow Down = Brain Freeze
Burst Apart = Shatter
Bitter winds = Chill wind
Ice Bash = Cryonic kick

Those are awesome!

Alexa_Elvrayen wrote:

Cool Down can probably be reduced in clunkiness. "You may play a copy of Frost Shell from your hand next to that target" conveys the same message in a clearer way.

I like your wording better, thank you!

Alexa_Elvrayen wrote:

I was following the wording on tempest's card. Could be relevant when playing with Teryx

Alexa_Elvrayen wrote:

Playing with Fire could basically be a one shot - unless you're playing with Ra, you don't really care about the damage type. And if you play it while Iceform is out, you're going to be destroying it immediately anyway.

But you could leave the card out to wait for the perfect opportunity to destroy it for an ice slide combo. Allows her to do a really bursty, epic turn

Alexa_Elvrayen wrote:

Ice Slide has a lot of problems. Against villains with no ongoings, it's a relatively dead draw.
Even if the villain has ongoings, you only ever get to use it right after Ice Bash or Chill Winds - as those tokens are removed before it's your turn again. And then you have to hope the villain has targets low enough, and ongoings, and even then you can only destroy one ongoing, netting you... Almost always 1 damage, unless you have Frost Blast on top of all these other conditions.
It's a really cool idea, but with a hero who can only destroy ongoings with one power, and only once per turn, it falls a little flat.
Maybe make it something like "When Icegirl destroys a target, she deals 1 target 2 cold damage" or something? You retain the combo part without having to worry about a half dozen variables. Plus it could give her some potentially brutal turns.

Note that Icegirl has a few ongoings in her deck that she destroys at the start of her turn, which allows her to do double power turns!. Maybe she could use one more power in her deck for that reason. What do you think? She could run out of powers to activate, if she achieves to do a really epic turn.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Hunter
New Zealand
flag msg tools
It's true visionary can stop Dawn from flipping by messing with her trash, but there's no one else who can stop a Start of Turn/End of turn effect on a villain card from going off, and sometimes that's really crucial, mechanical stuff that makes the Villain work at all.

Another example would be Infinitor, who you could trap on his Despoiler side, with no armor and no Projections, likewise Anathema could be really messed up. You could argue that is good rather than broken, and it's not likely to happen more than once a game as there's not that many copies and she doesn't have especially good draw, but it still makes me nervous. But that might just be me!

You might be right about the not being able to choose start of turn/end of turn effects, and in truth I had to go digging for awhile to find an example where the start of turn was weaker than the end of turn.

Now that I look at Flash Freeze again, it is quite weak. "Destroy an ongoing" is a so-so card, this is "Sorta destroy an ongoing for a turn, kinda". The facedown thing is quite versatile, this could potentially just be turn any non-character, non-hero card face down? Still wouldn't be fantastic, but could buy you time against particular annoying targets/environments.

I kinda get Ice-slide, although it could be a bit clunky... I'm guessing the dream is something like Frost Blast, Playing with Fire, Ice-slide. I use the power of Playing with Fire, destroy it, Frost blast, then a Flash Freeze blows up and I use the innate power. Not terrible, but requires some quite specific cards. I see how you can use the powers destroy ongoings to keep the triggering, but that only works on Playing with Fire (one card) and Shatter (not gonna work all that often).

Might be fine, but it seems that without Playing with Fire it's nothing special. Other than that, the powers she has access to are her innate power (very weak, only 1 damage and doesn't even work with Iceform), Frost blast (decent), Shatter (very situational), Iceform (not one whose power is going to be used a lot) and Ice-slide itself (only 2 HP, get a card but destroy my combo piece - refunding the play I originally used to get it out. None of these are amazing...

I would recommend maybe just making the power of Ice-slide "Play a card"? That gives you a reliable use for the extra power, and she's got enough random ongoings that over the course of the game Ice-slide might net you 2-3 plays from itself making it an okay (if slow yielding) investment, and occasionally combo madness can happen.

Perhaps to key in (and this is an idea without a great deal of thought) and solve the Shatter-killing-ongoings-wierdness, maybe shatter could have "Destroy one of your ongoings to destroy a target with 5 or less HP. If that target has a freeze counter, you do not need to destroy the ongoing". This would give you a way to cash in random ongoings (getting some benefit from Ice-slide) AND make Shatter work okay even if you didn't get one of the (actually fairly scarce) cards that freeze by themselves - you can always destroy Shatter, if nothing else.

Anyway, just random thoughts, still pretty excited about this hero!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stefan
Germany
flag msg tools
mb
I'm a bit torn about blocking villain start effects as well. I can definitely see where you are coming from. But I might just leave it as is for the moment. It has in theory the power to break the game, but as you said, it won't actually come up that much. And since I developed the character with a specific style in mind, I like the flavor of freezing the villain.

With flash freeze I have to agree. The only downside would be, that a target enters play with full hp again. But if it's leading to difficult decision making, it could be an even more interesting card.
What would you think about reducing Cryonic kick to 2 copies and increasing Flash Freeze to 3 copies? Could solve the above issue with blocking the villain character card too much.

I'm always cautious with making custom decks too powerful, maybe that's why I made the ice slide combos so hard to actually achieve (and I think they are really nice when they are happening). But you're right, it could fall flat in a lot of games with her.
Noted, I wanted ice slide to trigger an extra power use if destroyed, so you actually refund the play AND power. But that might not be worded well enough.

What do you think about a power for ice slide: play a card. you may destroy this card. keeps her comboes going for one more power if she needs to. (only if the effect would still trigger while destroying this card simultaneously. Otherwise I would word it as: play a card. you may use a power, if you do, destroy this card.)

Since now she lacks healing in her deck, I could add the effect to iceform. power: regain 2 hp. you may destroy this card.
I think it would be a nice mechanic for her to be able to destroy all her ongoings for extra power uses.

Shatter is weird, yeah. Going with your suggestion, maybe she could even destroy other heroes ongoings to fuel her combos?

Edit: maybe the power for Shatter could be something like:
Destroy a target with 4 or fewer hp that icegirl dealt cold damage this turn. If that target does not have a freeze token, destroy one hero ongoing card.

Edit 2: or to keep the villain ongoing destruction:
power: Destroy a target with 4 or fewer hp that was dealt cold damage this turn. If that target has a freeze token, you may destroy an ongoing card. If not, destroy a hero ongoing card.
pretty wordy but a tad more powerful. If the wordcount gets too big I would ditch the "when enters play" effect..
Ninja Edit: There is probably nobody reading this, but what would you think if it was: Destroy a target with 4 or fewer hp that was dealt cold damage SINCE THE END OF YOUR LAST TURN. etc... could lead to even more fun team ups with aboslute zero

Edit 3: I'm thinking about changing up freezing rain a little bit to give her some additional card draw.
One-shot
you may draw up to 3 cards. Icegirl deals up to x targets 1 projectile damage each, where x = 4 minus the number of cards drawn this way. each target dealt damage this way, deals itself 1 cold damage.

how are the opinions on the supposed changes?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Hunter
New Zealand
flag msg tools
I guess Cryonic kick with only 2 x might be okay... It still makes me nervous, but you couldn't lock out Dawn from flipping without a lot of trash recursion... It is certainly cool and unique!

For Flash Freeze, having it come back on full HP isn't that big a deal, it's fairly easy to play around. I really like the idea of this card - it's versatile and tactical without being overpowered, maybe have 3x of this and only 2x of brain freeze? Maybe even 4x if you can find space elsewhere?

I believe with Ice-slide it is still in play while it does it's effect, so you would get the free power (my precedent is the explosives wagon in Silver Gulch, which gets its own damage bonus while blowing up). That way it could just be "Play a card. You may destroy this card."

For your Shatter variants, I'd prefer the first one. I'm also not sure destroying any old hero card is needed - firstly destroying her own is good for Ice-slide, and also all of hers are icy-themed so kiiiinda make sense for Shatter, knocking out my friend's Recharge mode not so much. Dealing cold since your last turn makes sense - although in truth I'm not sure you need to "has been dealt cold damage" trigger at all? If they're frozen that pretty much already means they're iced up (thematically). Could it just be...
Power: Destroy a target with 4 or less HP. If it does not have a freeze counter on it, destroy one of your ongoing cards". The destroy an ongoing works because you always have at least Shatter to destroy, no freebies!

She probably does need draw (especially if Ice Slide is causing a lot of card play), and Freezing rain is logical (it's not doing anything that exciting at the moment), but you don't necessarily need the tension between drawing and damaging. It could just be deal damage to (say?) 2 targets and draw 2 cards. Thematically, not sure it makes that much sense that freezing rain is either bashing her foes or giving her cards?

Also also, her base power is pretty anaemic. It's 1 damage, which is already pretty awful, and as the target deals damage to themselves it doesn't even work with Iceform. It could at least be 2 damage, and not sure what the dealing damage to themselves rather than from her is for?

Still pretty hyped about this hero!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stefan
Germany
flag msg tools
mb
Ok, I' gonna go with the change for flash freeze. But I thought about a situation that could happen:
Play: Flash Freeze --> flip an environment card
power: ice slide --> play Brain Freeze --> flip the next villain card that would enter play

on your next turn
at the start, use flash freeze to flip back the villain card (instead of the environment card)
now brain freeze triggers but has no villain card to flip.
--> now you have an environment card turned face-down for the rest of the game. Could just be a cool combo, that requires a lot of specific cards but could lead to freezing Anubis/True Form/Char to an ice mummy for the next thousand years...

I think I'm not done yet with shatter. with your suggested power, she could shatter a minion that wasn't actually really frozen (by destroying one of your ongoings). That's why I thought the cold damage trigger would be more thematic. She could also just play one of her many one-shots before using the power so it wouldn't be hard to achieve. This one feels really hard to get right. But I like it as a player, when you have to fulfill some conditions to achieve cool effects. I think it makes the reward even more enjoyable.

The reasoning for the innate power was, that she could put herself in a defensive position with a Frost Shell played on herself and still deal a little damage with her standard power. Also it could turn damage boosts against its source and icegirl could still deal damage while being capture by akash buhtas limbs etc.
I think 2 damage would be too high..but 1 damage is too weak.. argh..

Thank you for all your thoughts and ideas! I really really enjoy reading your comments!

Edit: Another quick idea!
I'm not really a fan of targets in hero decks but Frost Shell works kinda okay. But I could also change it to an ongoing that reads:
Play this next to a target. When that target would be dealt damage or deal damage, prevent that damage and destroy this card.
has almost the same effect but avoids redirection, which can sometimes get confusing. And on top of that, it could trigger an ice slide out of turn power use! What do you think? Is that weaker or stronger than the previous version?

Edit2: aaaand another idea (sorry if I'm posting too much, but this is so much fun )
shatter
Damage dealt to targets with freeze tokens is irreducible.
Power: Icegirl deals 1 target 3 cold damage. If you desroy a target this way, destroy 1 ongoing card.

Gives freeze tokens a more universal use and keeps it kinda thematic. Ongoing destruction is not optional, so if there's no villain ongoing to destroy, you gotta have to shatter your own. And I want to have some sort of villain ongoing destruction in the deck, because that way Iceslide becomes more fun. But it shouldn't be too easy to destroy them..
Edit3: alright, last edit for today, I swear! But I realized that with villains without start/end of turn effects (AkashBhuta/Chairman/Matriach etc.) you could leave a freeze token there forever and therefore deal irreducible damage till the end of the game. I mean, it's a specific combo between the two rarest cards in her deck, but still...I could add "At the start of your turn, remove all freeze tokens" to the card text, but than it get's too wordy again...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoff B.
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mb
A potential way to deal with freeze tokens is to give them out with one shots and powers, and have ongoings that let you use those tokens to do different things.

Like the start/end prevention could cost a number of tokens, like if you get 3 tokens on that target you can stop their start of turn effect.

Frozen Solid
Ongoing
When a start of turn or end of turn effect on a non-character card would activate, you may remove 3 freeze tokens from that card. If you do prevent that effect from activating.

Your innate could use them too, like:

Shiver
Power: One target deals itself 1 cold damage. Increase this damage by 1 for each freeze token on that target.

That would be one way of preserving freezing effects without making start/end effects easily prevented.

Would need to come up with other ways to use freeze tokens for more ongoings, but it could be really cool.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexa Elvrayen

California
msg tools
To add to Phantaskippy's idea, you could do something like increase her damage to frozen targets by 1.

Frozen Wasteland could deal each target with a freeze token 1-2 cold damage.

Freezing Rain could be something like 2 projectile (or cold) to up to 2 targets and give them a freeze token. Or 1 to 3 targets.

Frost Shell could reduce damage dealt by 1 if the target has a freeze token.

And Ice Slide could be more variable, something like "When you use a power, you may remove a freeze token from a target. If you do, you may use a power now."
Allow you to cash them in for more powers, at the cost of reducing your damage to certain targets.

Just to spitball some ideas. I like the idea of being able to stop effects with a lot of tokens, but I think they need to have a little more versatility so they're not overpowered.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Bishop
United States
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmb
Phantaskippy wrote:
A potential way to deal with freeze tokens is to give them out with one shots and powers, and have ongoings that let you use those tokens to do different things.
Another way to implement it (I used similar for Impact's Gravitic Orb) which does water down the AoE but gets rid of tokens:
Quote:
Cryonic Kick (Ongoing, Freeze)
Play this card next to a target. Icegirl deals that target 3 cold damage.
If the target next to this card would activate a start or end of turn effect, prevent that effect and destroy this card (or whatever).

Chill Wind (Ongoing, Freeze)
Play this card next to a target. Icegirl deals that target and up to 2 other targets 2 cold damage each.
If the target next to this card would activate a start or end of turn effect, prevent that effect and destroy this card (or whatever).

Shatter (Ongoing)
Power: Destroy a target with 4 or fewer HP with a Freeze card next to it. Destroy all Freeze cards without targets next to them.

...etc.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stefan
Germany
flag msg tools
mb
Thank your for all your replies! I always get excited when there are more opinions on Icegirl for me to read. It really means a lot to me!

@Skippy & Alexa
I think you are on to something here. What you describe sounds indeed like a great mechanic that could be even more interesting and engaging to play than what I've currently designed. But I think that's just not the way to go for Icegirl. I didn't intend to focus the deck so much on the token mechanic. As I said, they work actually more like a reminder for the players. I think they work ok at the moment for what they are and it all makes sense thematically, for me at least And I've seen a few custom heros in this forum that do a similar thing that you described and they do it really good already.
For example "Glaze" https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1452497/custom-hero-glaze-c... or "Twilight" https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1464809/custom-hero-twiligh...
But I really appreciate that you put so much thought into the deck to help to make it better!

@tosx
I like where you are going with this. As I just stated, the tokens per se are not really that important. Using the cards themselves as a reminder would be a little more elegant. But in the context of her deck it could mess with the balance, because destroying her own ongoings for greater effects is kind of her thing. So now she would have 5 more cards that would trigger an out of turn power use, as long as Iceslide is in play. Could be awesome for the player, but maybe overpowered. What do you think?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Hunter
New Zealand
flag msg tools
If you're worried about Ice Slide getting too strong, you could tone down the effect on Ice slide, or you could make the Freeze cards NOT be ongoings. If they just had the "Freeze" type they could sit in play (in the same way Devices or Mechanical Golems or other stuff that's not an ongoing/equipment/one-shot does). They would still be destroyed to stop the target triggering, but wouldn't trigger Ice Slide.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stefan
Germany
flag msg tools
mb
Update 20.03.2017
I've now tested her quite a bit and am very happy with how she plays. She's really a lot of fun
I will keep the freeze tokens, because they perfectly serve the intent of the mechanic and don't feel too clunky while playing. Just put one of the blue 25hp tokens on the text box of the card you are blocking and it works fine!
Some changes:
-Freezing Rain was not very exciting before, so I changed it to also have the option of healing your team a bit.
-Shatter now simply destroys a target with 3hp or less.

I've also added a link to my playtest cards, so if you're interested and want to try her out, go for it and let me know what you think! At this point, I don't think there are any changes happening regarding mechanics and card effects. I'm still not too happy with how samey some of her card names sound though.
Via Google I found out that there is a character called "Ice" in the TV Cartoon show Batman: The Bold and the Brave, and she looks quite similar to what I imagined. So I borrowed pictures from there to complete the character card for the moment.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stefan
Germany
flag msg tools
mb
minor note:
- I changed four card names to give them a more unique sound in the context of the other cards of the deck. Should any of you already have printed out playtest cards of her deck, this won't really matter, since I didn't change any of the card texts.

iceform - Arctic Aura
frostbite - Glacial Strike
frost blast - Elemental Blast
flash freeze - Molecular Immobilization

What do you think of these? Do they sound right to you? It's always kind of hard for me to come up with cool sounding card names..

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Hunter
New Zealand
flag msg tools
Molecular Immobilization sounds a bit technical for a comic book to me? Maybe Thermal Void or Chill to the Bone?

Glacial Strike is pretty good, although Frostbite was also pretty good (and made sense with the effect). Maybe Cool Down could become Glacial Strike instead - as it traps them in the glacier they were struck with?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stefan
Germany
flag msg tools
mb
-Thermal Void sounds very cool, I hope it fits the mechanic of the card well
-my reasoning to change frostbite was that I didn't want to have frostbite, frost blast, frozen shell, freezing rain, frozen wastelands all in the same deck. There is kind of a pattern there..
-so if I put Glacial Strike on Cool Down instead, I probably would change the name of the card previously called "Frostbite" to "Cool Down", to keep that name, because it sounds a little different to the rest.
-Thanks for brainstorming with me here! I really appreciate your help

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stefan
Germany
flag msg tools
mb
There may or may not be a small issue with Ice Slide.
The card makes an assumption that there is always a source of ongoing destruction. If I destroy my own card as part of its power, Icegirl is the source of the destruction and Ice Slide would trigger an additional power use. On the other hand, something like Devastating Aurora has the villain as the source of the destruction, which would not trigger Ice Slide in this scenario. But there are also edge cases, like Blade's Devious Disruption or Insula Primalis' Primordial Plant Life, which gives the players a choice to destroy their ongoings etc.
I want the deck to follow official rules as close as possible, so if this is something that is not part of the original game, I would have to rework Ice Slide.
--> my solution would then be this:
The first time each turn, when one of your ongoing cards is destroyed, you may use a power.

It would make the card less powerful, but the change would move it out of the grey area.
Does somebody have an opinion on this matter? Is there a rules clarifications for a case like this?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Bishop
United States
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmb
I believe there are some cards that vaguely look at a source of ongoing destruction, but it's usually "if an ongoing is destroyed by a hero card" or something.

Normal wording for yours would be "When one of your ongoings is destroyed" and source wouldn't matter.

If you only want them tripping off of your own effects, and not villain/env destruction, Ice Slide could say "when one of your ongoings cards is destroyed by one of your cards".

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stefan
Germany
flag msg tools
mb
Thanks for the heads-up!
"when one of your ongoings cards is destroyed by one of your cards"
- I'm gonna go with this wording, because it captures the effect I was going for the best. I hope this clears things up!
With that sorted out, I think the deck is really close to being finished

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [6] | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.