Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Matt Gordier
Canada
Hamilton
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have the opportunity to buy either Evolution: Climate or the original Evolution bundled with the Climate conversion kit and Promo Pack 3 for about the same price.

While the second option definitely sounds like you get more stuff, does a bunch of it just sit in the box and never get used again? Is it just better to get the standalone and have a single, neat box?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Byron S
United States
Ventura
California
flag msg tools
I don't remember what I ate last night
badge
but I can spout off obscure rules to all sorts of game like nobody's business!
mbmbmbmbmb
MattG666 wrote:
I have the opportunity to buy either Evolution: Climate or the original Evolution bundled with the Climate conversion kit and Promo Pack 3 for about the same price.

While the second option definitely sounds like you get more stuff, does a bunch of it just sit in the box and never get used again? Is it just better to get the standalone and have a single, neat box?

The base+Climate games will have a few trait sets that will be unused, and you won't need the Watering Hole board, but the real decision here is whether you want the Promo pack. If you're not interested in it, then just get the standalone game. If you think you might be, get the bundle.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Less snark is my goal.
United States
Allen Park
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
Have you joined the 2017 Secret Cthanta yet?
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd go with the Conversion kit and the promo pack. I don't think you'll use the promo pack every day and if you wanted to you could sell it and wind up with a discount on your purchase.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Clensy
United States
Glenbrook
Nevada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The base and climate will also fit in the conversion box which is half the size of the game. If that kind of portability/shelf savings is interesting to you then the base and conversion is a great way to go.

Also, if you want to play a slightly simpler version of evolution then having the base set will allow you to do that without having to ignore text on cards or setting out the climate board, which is larger than the watering hole of the base game.

Also, you could consider if you like the look of the base game box or the Climate box better. Of course, with base and conversion you have both options (at least until you get more expansions).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James R. Gracen
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
sdonohue wrote:
I'd go with the Conversion kit and the promo pack. I don't think you'll use the promo pack every day and if you wanted to you could sell it and wind up with a discount on your purchase.

Get the base game, Conversion Kit, and Promo Pack 3, and *I'll* buy the promo pack from you!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Demski
Canada
Stony Mountain
Manitoba
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd most definitely get original Evolution + Climate conversion kit + Promo Pack 3! You're getting more stuff - plus that promo pack is pretty damn desirable.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karl
Austria
Salzburg
Salzburg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You can probably sell the Promo Pack 3 for almost the amount you pay for the bundle, just saying.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Gordier
Canada
Hamilton
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Making money back sounds enticing, who would be buying it though?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James R. Gracen
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
MattG666 wrote:
Making money back sounds enticing, who would be buying it though?

Me, Me!!! *raises hand*
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Gordier
Canada
Hamilton
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well make me an offer lol

Is there any real difference between the two options once the new cards are mixed together with the new ones? I assume it plays the same but is the artwork way different?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Byron S
United States
Ventura
California
flag msg tools
I don't remember what I ate last night
badge
but I can spout off obscure rules to all sorts of game like nobody's business!
mbmbmbmbmb
MattG666 wrote:
Well make me an offer lol

Is there any real difference between the two options once the new cards are mixed together with the new ones? I assume it plays the same but is the artwork way different?

There's no difference at all that I know of. All the artwork should be the same. You'll just have a few extra unused components if you go with base+conversion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James R. Gracen
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
MattG666 wrote:

The Conversion Kit has 10 traits. Six are brand new traits for Climate. Four are base game replacements, which add Climate effects to four existing base game traits. You swap the old ones out for the new ones.

On those trait cards the artwork is the same. The Climate versions have some extra symbols and extra text, which can be completely ignored if you are playing the Evolution base game.

To play the base game, remove the six Climate specific traits, but leave in the Climate replacement base game traits (and ignore the Climate stuff on them).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon Jacobson
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
CavemanLogic wrote:
MattG666 wrote:

The Conversion Kit has 10 traits. Six are brand new traits for Climate. Four are base game replacements, which add Climate effects to four existing base game traits. You swap the old ones out for the new ones.

On those trait cards the artwork is the same. The Climate versions have some extra symbols and extra text, which can be completely ignored if you are playing the Evolution base game.

To play the base game, remove the six Climate specific traits, but leave in the Climate replacement base game traits (and ignore the Climate stuff on them).

Also be sure to remove the six "Carnivore" traits which have volcanoes as a background image; they are for Climate only.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith
United States
Vienna
Virginia
flag msg tools
Brevity exceeds allocated space
mbmbmbmbmb
The last two posts:

It sure would be nice if that was in the conversion kit rulebook or a pack-in sheet or something. Just received my conversion kit today and had to come to Bgg to find out how to convert.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dominic Crapuchettes
United States
Bethesda
MD
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
North Star Games designs party games that don't suck! Play them with your non-gamer friends over the holidays.
badge
First there was Hearts, then there was Spades, and now we bring you Clubs. The suit of clubs finally gets some respect!
mbmbmbmbmb
Keithustus wrote:
The last two posts:

It sure would be nice if that was in the conversion kit rulebook or a pack-in sheet or something. Just received my conversion kit today and had to come to Bgg to find out how to convert.

We're sorry about that.

It was an error in one of the print runs. When we updated Evolution and Evolution: CLIMATE, the graphic designer copied the new text from the Stand-alone to the Conversion kit. We didn't know there was an error until after the games had already been shipped into distribution, which is why we can't do anything about it. We fixed the error before the next print run.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith
United States
Vienna
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You mean before the next print run of the conversion kit? Somehow the one I just bought on Amazon a few days ago wasn't it. They probably have tons and tons of the old one still...?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dominic Crapuchettes
United States
Bethesda
MD
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
North Star Games designs party games that don't suck! Play them with your non-gamer friends over the holidays.
badge
First there was Hearts, then there was Spades, and now we bring you Clubs. The suit of clubs finally gets some respect!
mbmbmbmbmb
It can take a while for product to move through the distribution channels.
I've seen a version of Say Anything at Barnes & Noble that was three years old before. It was from about 5 print runs earlier. It blew my mind.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith
United States
Vienna
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Are there any other changes, anything significant, between the print I received and the newer ones?

(Last question—trying not to be a pest.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dominic Crapuchettes
United States
Bethesda
MD
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Nothing changed. We simply tried to standardize the text on the cards by creating keywords so people could figure out card interactions without needing to go to the rules.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.