Sebastien Meilleur
Canada
Sainte-Julie
Quebec
flag msg tools
I really like TOEE and how it works overall but I find the encounter cards to be frustrating and a fun-draining part of the game. Every time I think "Hey I should play a game of TOEE" right away I remember the encounters and tell myself "I'll wait until I am in a very happy place...".

I find that we get way too many encounter cards and not enough monsters. It's D&D after all! More monsters!

Has anyone come up with a variant where encounter cards are out of the game (or used very little) and we get more monsters on the board? I don't care if it makes the game tough but at least I get a chance to fight something instead of silly hail storm, imix and hidden snipers.

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Talmadge
United States
Clinton
CT
flag msg tools
REFEREE MADNESS
badge
I'm wasting your time!
mbmbmbmbmb
TOEE is all about the encounters and many of them tie into the elemental theme. I would recommend one of the other D&D games (Ravenloft, Ashardalon, Drizzt). Many of those encounters feel like additional monsters albeit static, non-moving ones. Plus another game will double everything: monsters, heroes, tiles, scenarios, etc.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Campo
United Kingdom
Manchester
lancashire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
you want "sentry" monster from Ashardalon.
Ashardalon often ended up with Konga lines of monsters following you .. until you boxed your self in and died.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jakub W
Poland
flag msg tools
More monsters = less encounters because you have more experience to avoid critical encounters.
I've played in Castle Ravenloft campaign variant based on ToEE's campaign system with monster tokens and I've had more control with gameplay.

In ToEE you could implement this house rule - instead of getting encounter card when you didn't explore new tile you could put in play new monster on the closest edge of unexplored tile (or just roll a die: 1-10 Encounter, 11-20 Monster).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.