Pandemic Legacy: Season 1» Forums » General

Subject: why buy? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Brian Kelly
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
We own Pandemic and play two person quite often. We have only lost twice (knock on wood). We were in a board game store and were contemplating buying but I am trying to understand why spend $70 on a game you can only play a max of 24 times. Maybe if it were $20 but I see a ton of people asking what to do when the game is done and it just seems like a waste since it is a 1 and done. What am I missing?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug S.
United States
Maine
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Value is such a subjective thing that it's hard for me to tell you what to do. All I can say is that my wife and I just finished Season 1 play through today, and we don't regret our purchase. $70 isn't really a big deal to us though, so factor that in before deciding.

The game itself was a blast.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kārlis Jēriņš
Latvia
Riga
flag msg tools
I'm a sheep.
badge
A lovely, fluffy sheep.
mbmbmbmbmb
bdkelly81 wrote:
We own Pandemic and play two person quite often. We have only lost twice (knock on wood). We were in a board game store and were contemplating buying but I am trying to understand why spend $70 on a game you can only play a max of 24 times. Maybe if it were $20 but I see a ton of people asking what to do when the game is done and it just seems like a waste since it is a 1 and done. What am I missing?

It depends on what kind of person you are and how you approach gaming. If you tend to buy few games and then play them dozens of times, Legacy gaming might not be your thing. But for those of us who sometimes buy 70$ games and then play them like five times the fact that you only get to play Pandemic Legacy 12-24 times isn't really a drawback.

And, regardless of which group you belong to, Pandemic Legacy is a whole lot of fun. I didn't have to buy my copy (yay, BGG Secret Santa!), but playing through season 1 made me love it enough that I'm most certainly going to buy season 2 the moment it's available in my local store.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clive Jones

Cambridgeshire, UK
msg tools
mb
Spend $70 because that's only $2 per person per game, and it's so much fun you'll have trouble finding alternative entertainment that's better value for money.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marlene Thornstrom
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I wouldn't spend $70 on it given that it's currently $33 at CSI.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Blasco

Brier
Washington
msg tools
mbmb
Well, I don't really care for Pandemic that much, but really enjoyed Pandemic Legacy. Until I got Gloomhaven I would say it was the most rewarding gaming experience I've had.

The game presents you with a story wrapped up inside of it, and each month brings new challenges. There are permanent changes to the boards, characters, rules, etc, so there's a sense of things building up as you go, and it gives you more of a purpose. Should you ignore that thing going on in Sydney, knowing that it will affect the next 10 games, or do you try to fix it, which would prevent you from eradicating yellow this game, and getting a bonus for the rest of the campaign?

If you are the type of person plays a small number of games hundreds of times, than this will be different. It's more of an experience to enjoy than a game to hold onto.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clive Jones

Cambridgeshire, UK
msg tools
mb
markblasco wrote:
Until I got Gloomhaven [...]

How come nobody's mentioned Gloomhaven to me before? It looks... intriguing, to say the least!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Theorel Masheriel
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmb
Alternatively, you can always just replay it. If the idea of a campaign-style Pandemic game appeals, then probably you will want to. From the tone of your post, I'm assuming the actual "Legacy" part does not appeal (the inability to replay it).

There are plenty of threads here about how to do so, in short don't destroy anything, play everything else exactly as written. At the end peel off the stickers, look at one of the reset threads (maybe print some stuff out), and have another go. I expect to play through the campaign 3-4 times before I start needing to significantly modify the story-aspect to keep things interesting. Maybe by then someone will have done the hard work for me, until then I'm just brainstorming.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mellina Huitema
Canada
flag msg tools
I'd say what others have been saying, it's a completely subjective thing but I harbor no regrets about the money.

When I was considering buying it I was looking at it less like purchasing a game and more like purchasing a few weeks worth of some truly amazing entertainment. I played with my friend and her daughter and we split the cost so it only cost each of us around $35--you could find some friends to team up with and do the same. For $35 the value for money faaaaaaaaaar exceeds most other forms of entertainment I might have otherwise bought with it. Many a time we've spent that for dinner for two at a medium-scale restaurant with barely a thought so I didn't have to think too long and hard about buying this.

I don't know what your tastes are but if you really enjoy Pandemic I don't think you'll regret the $70 (or significantly less if you can find a deal).

I probably won't get another legacy game though as that could get to be quite an expensive habit. I've experienced it once, and that will be enough. It was well worth it to me.

I will say the money bothers me significantly less than the waste. It does create a lot of garbage, I do have to admit that downside.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Arthur Peterson
United States
Cane Ridge
TN
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
1. If you've only lost twice, you're probably doing it wrong.

2. Because Pandemic Legacy is an AMAZING game. Worth every penny.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mellina Huitema
Canada
flag msg tools
I don't know if #1 is true. The crew I usually play regular Pandemic with played quite a few times before the first time we lost (on Standard difficulty, once we went Heroic it definitely happened all the time). Also lots of people stick with Introductory difficulty for a while.

If he's had the game for years or something and only lost twice then yes, I'd suspect a rules misinterpretation.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lando Lincoln

Joliet
Illinois
msg tools
bdkelly81 wrote:

It's more like $50.

On average, people play about 18 games to get to the end of the game.

So...$50 divided by 18 games is about $2.77 a game.

Each game takes about an hour if you have four players sitting around, seriously strategizing every move. $2.77 divided by four is 69 cents an hour.

So, for about 69 cents an hour per person, four people can have a really interesting gaming experience that you may talk about for years to come. I think that's a really good value.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.