Mac Mcleod
United States
houston
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/national-security/new-y...

Maddow went into this last night. Preet had been specifically asked to stay and Trump said good things about him. A few days ago an advocacy group sent him a letter about Trump corruption (Preet has jurisdiction) and Preet already has a strong anti-corruption record.

Quote:

Preet Bharara, one of the most high-profile federal prosecutors in the country, was fired Saturday after refusing to submit a letter of resignation as part of an ouster of the remaining U.S. attorneys who were holdovers from the Obama administration, according to people familiar with the matter.

“I did not resign,” Bharara said on Twitter. “Moments ago I was fired. Being the US Attorney in SDNY will forever be the greatest honor of my professional life.”

On Friday, acting deputy attorney general Dana Boente began making calls to 46 prosecutors asking for their resignations. Such requests are a normal part of a transition of power from one administration to another, and about half of the 94 Obama-era U.S. attorneys had already left their jobs.

But Boente’s call to Bharara, the U.S. attorney for the Southern District of New York, appears to have left some confusion in its wake, in large part because President Trump met with Bharara soon after the election and had asked him to stay on.

Firing the attorneys is normal-- but firing them all at once with no transition isn't normal and will leave terrorist and pedophilia cases unprosecuted until new attorneys can be hired. Witnesses will die and get "cold". The normal procedure (according to several attorneys fired in the past by Presidents Clinton, Bush, and Obama on one news segment) is firing "with notice" so their caseload can be slowly transitioned to new attorneys.

In this case, the justice department attorneys were given hours or *no* notice and apparently in a lot of cases were traveling (because it was done on friday).

Some of them had been with the justice department since Bush. Decades of contacts with state justice departments gone in an instant. Decades of knowledge of procedure gone in an instant.

And this was after the Trump team (including Mr. Trump) had told senior democrats there would be the usual gradual transition back in january.

* Yup, some literally found out they'd been fired from television news or because someone who saw the news sent them a message.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
G Rowls
msg tools
Professional Agitation Consultant... HTTP Error 418 I'm a Teapot!
mbmb
It wasn't Trump's swamp they refered to when they chanted 'drain the swamp!'.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
lotus dweller
Australia
Melbourne
Victoria
flag msg tools
One is reminded of the disolving of the Iraqi Army following the Bush/Cheney invasion.

Is Bannon trying to create a Deep State insurgency by freeing these people up?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Walt
United States
Orange County
California
flag msg tools
Before terraforming Mars, Surviving Mars is required: Paradox Interactive; Steam.
badge
Please contact me about board gaming in Orange County.
mbmbmbmbmb
I think we know the name of 2021 US AG.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.