John Silveira
United States
Palo Alto
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Why is the expansion seem to be more expensive than the base game?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Miller
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Usually fewer expansions printed than base games. No publisher expects everyone who buys a base game will buy an expansion as well...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dustin
United States
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah it's simply less of them in the wild. And it's a must have expansion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
qess qess
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
It's supply and demand, the board game hobby has been growing, and out of print games will rise in price, especially ones connected to a popular IP (star wars, starcraft).

I think most expansions are paired with a base game, meaning the people selling expansions alone are mostly speculators, that expect to be compensated handsomely for their investment.
This higher price for the expansion then in turn color the opinion of people selling a bundle, seeing what the expansion sells for alone, they set the price accordingly.

The simple fact that the game is often described as better with the expansion, pushes interest in bundles, and diminishes interest in base games. I feel that a similar price for both items, or a slightly cheaper expansion would make more sense. But when everyone is looking for the best, most complete experience, the value of the final 20% can easily exceed the value of the previous 80%.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Silveira
United States
Palo Alto
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, that's true.

I guess the better question is the expansion worth paying twice what the base costs for why it adds
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick G.
United States
Glenshaw
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Does your religion have lightsabers? Nope? Didn't think so.
badge
"A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky dangerous animals." Agent K. Oh my what he would think of people had he known about what the internet would become.....
mbmbmbmbmb
Jaisyl wrote:
Yeah, that's true.

I guess the better question is the expansion worth paying twice what the base costs for why it adds

Yes.
If you like the basegame you will love it after with the expansion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kelsam Tabletop
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Jaisyl wrote:
Yeah, that's true.

Absolutely. The expansion takes an already awesome game and makes it incredible.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick G.
United States
Glenshaw
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Does your religion have lightsabers? Nope? Didn't think so.
badge
"A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky dangerous animals." Agent K. Oh my what he would think of people had he known about what the internet would become.....
mbmbmbmbmb
Jaisyl wrote:
Yeah, that's true.

I never play with out the expansion. It integrates so well there is no point. I don't even keep the base game versions of components in the box. Of course I use a 6 plano box storage system for protection of the minis so space is at a premium.. but it works great.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.