Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
41 Posts
1 , 2  Next »   | 

Gloomhaven» Forums » General

Subject: The reprint comes with cool dials, but isn't there a better alternative? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Pepe
Spain
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I guess I'm in the minority here, but I don't think dials are the best way to solve the life/experience trackers problem. My experience with them has been mostly negative, as sometimes they don't attach firmly and move when they shouldn't, you have to use them with two hands, and they occupy a lot of space.

I really believe there has to be a better option. Like, for example, having a tracker with less spaces and +10 counters like the experience track (which would use +5 counters instead) and a bigger tracker piece, as I think the problem with the current system comes from the fact that the wooden trackers are too small and don't stand easily on their own. However, something like this would not have the same problem.

But anyway, I'm sure there are other ways to solve the tracking problem and dials are not the best IMHO.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil McDonald
England
Staffordshire
UK
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dials are just more table clutter to me. I'm not having any problem with the existing tracks, but when they wear I will simply use a couple of D20 for each player.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Noel Szczepanski
United States
Albuquerque
New Mexico
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
porghar wrote:
I guess I'm in the minority here, but I don't think dials are the best way to solve the life/experience trackers problem. My experience with them has been mostly negative, as sometimes they don't attach firmly and move when they shouldn't, you have to use them with two hands, and they occupy a lot of space.

I really believe there has to be a better option. Like, for example, having a tracker with less spaces and +10 counters like the experience track (which would use +5 counters instead) and a bigger tracker piece, as I think the problem with the current system comes from the fact that the wooden trackers are too small and don't stand easily on their own. However, something like this would not have the same problem.

But anyway, I'm sure there are other ways to solve the tracking problem and dials are not the best IMHO.

I'm fairly certain that the dials will be offered as addons and not actually included in the games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karl Roe
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
What about having the character board punched with square-shaped holes (instead of the notched cut it has now). You could use the same wooden tracking pieces, which I kind of like. Just move them like a Cribbage board peg. It seems like the problem with the current design is that some of the slits in the character board are a little too wide and the tracking pieces don't stay in very well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daily Grind
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I just bought two of these. No idea if they're any good, but I thought I'd give it a try.

https://www.shapeways.com/product/DMANPDN25/split-spinning-c...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Broaster House wrote:
What about having the character board punched with square-shaped holes (instead of the notched cut it has now). You could use the same wooden tracking pieces, which I kind of like. Just move them like a Cribbage board peg. It seems like the problem with the current design is that some of the slits in the character board are a little too wide and the tracking pieces don't stay in very well.
THat was what Isaac wanted originally. THe factory said it couldn't be done.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Walerko
United States
Endicott
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Litko offers dials, but unfortunately they're not getting good reviews.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam Chan
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Something like this might be an adequate workaround:

https://boardgamegeek.com/image/3435400/terraforming-mars

The cubes stick to the silicone tape quite well, with just enough grip.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Winckler
United States
Kennewick
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Likewise not a fan of dials, I'm planning to order heart/drop/crystal tokens from the Game Crafter as described here.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Bennett
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you had the dials you wouldn't lose any more table space as you wouldn't need the character mats anymore.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Leo
United States
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmb
MikeKBennett wrote:
If you had the dials you wouldn't lose any more table space as you wouldn't need the character mats anymore.

I just wish the dials were built into the character mats. I think the separate dials are a good solution for a fast reprint, though.

Hopefully a second edition someday will have something similar to the zombicide dashboards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil McDonald
England
Staffordshire
UK
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
MikeKBennett wrote:

I like the mats, I didn't like the dials with LOTR LCG. I'll stick with the mats.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Bennett
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
philmcd wrote:
MikeKBennett wrote:

I like the mats, I didn't like the dials with LOTR LCG. I'll stick with the mats.

Same, I just use small pegs for tracking xp and hp on the character mats, but think the dials are a good alternative if people want to go down that route.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Almond
United Kingdom
Nelson
Lancashire
flag msg tools
mbmb
Broaster House wrote:

I prefer this solution to.

Have 10 holes and 2 cubes. The second cube with 10 and 20 stamped on either side.

Unless something has more than 29hp.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mike heim
United States
Juneau
Alaska
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
We're going to start using red glass beads for health and poker chips for xp.

The Dollar Store has these for 30% off of $5 though...
https://www.amazon.com/Translucent-Acrylic-Fillers-Scatter-D...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Darkmancer wrote:
Broaster House wrote:

Have 10 holes and 2 cubes. The second cube with 10 and 20 stamped on either side.

Isaac also preferred markers like that, but the factory said they couldn't.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jordan Mcdonald
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
We just use spindowns from magic the gathering, they work great.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete Thane
England
Brough
East Yorkshire
flag msg tools
badge
Up the Tigers
mbmbmbmbmb
mac9891 wrote:
We just use spindowns from magic the gathering, they work great.

Ditto

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pepe
Spain
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
P0isson wrote:
I'm fairly certain that the dials will be offered as addons and not actually included in the games.

No, the reprint will come with a cardboard version of the dials. You can read that in Isaacs's reprint announcement.

MikeKBennett wrote:

Not really. The mats have character artwork, character info and a round reference. You would still need them.

Jasiven wrote:
Darkmancer wrote:
Broaster House wrote:

Isaac also preferred markers like that, but the factory said they couldn't.

I'm not sure, but I guess the factory said it couldn't be done because there were too many spaces in the trackers. But if you reduce the number of spaces then it should be possible.

As I said in my OP, I think something based in this idea would be much better. There are multiple ways to design this and I'm sure there is one which is way better than dials.

The mats would have to be redesigned, but that is already happening in order to eliminate the trackers, so it shouldn't be a very big deal.

Also, it doesn't even have to be included in the mats, it could be an independent mini-mat. That way the game would only need four punched mats, some cubes and maybe a few +10/+20 counters. Then the character mats could be made smaller too, so you would not need much more table space overall.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Sailor
Austria
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If they have the same quality as battlecon's dials then I would love to have them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pepe
Spain
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Well, I wanted to prove that Isaac's original idea for the trackers was more or less achievable so I've spent the past couple of days trying to implement it. Here's the result:

I don't know about you, but I would like something like this much more than dials.

I made it with thick cardboard and sticker paper, using the punch binder from a small stationary shop, and nothing really complicated was needed to craft it. So I'm pretty sure that this sort of tracker can be mass-produced relatively easy.

Besides, keep in mind that this is just a proof of concept. There are many things that could be improved and quite a few different ways to implement it, whether as a standalone component or integrated in the character mats, maybe even replacing them completely. Also, as I really wanted to use the counters from the game I had some limitations, but the reprint could come with new ones if needed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil McDonald
England
Staffordshire
UK
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Pepe, I wouldn't buy dials, but I would buy this.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Skov
Denmark
Copenhagen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would also greatly prefer something like this to the dials, but it may just not be possible to get something that mass produced on budget. I don't know enough about their manufacturing techniques, but we've heard that Isaac wanted something like this, but apparently it was not possible.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Paterno
United States
Coatesville
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
porghar wrote:

Dials solved my problem with the mats. They do not take more space as I just sit them on the player mats. They are actually smaller than the player mats. The player mats aren't even necessary after you have played the game once or twice except to remind you how much starting HP you have.

The dials I designed do not accidentally move, cost me nothing to make (except my time and a little ink). They are easy to look at and I don't have to worry about picking up, placing or knocking over tiny little wooden bits. Dials are incredibly quick to set. They do take two hands to use but I am not sure what the downside is to that. Are you multitasking with the other hand?

Now poorly made dials ARE a problem. But so are poorly made player mats.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Corey Mayo
United States
Schertz
TX
flag msg tools
Have you paid your dues, Jack?
badge
Yes sir, the check is in the mail.
mbmbmbmbmb
porghar wrote:

Agreed. I just lay the red and blue trackers on their side and use the straight bit to cover or point to the current HP or XP total. But I play solo and have the grace and dexterity of a samurai ninja, so I never bump the table or mats. I can see the need for a dial for clumsy nerds with fat fingers.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.