Recommend
 
 Thumb up
 Hide
8 Posts

Angels One Five» Forums » General

Subject: Solitaire suitability rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Florent Leguern
France
Saint-Martin-d'Hères
France
flag msg tools
Groaning Grognard
badge
After all, a murder is only an extroverted suicide.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi all

I was wondering how the Solitaire aspect of this game held up ? I've read some material here on BGG, and from what I could surmize, it remains a little vague... Are there scenarios included directly with the game ? Is it not something akin to Hundred Days 20, where the solitaire suitability is graded "8", although it just means you can play both sides on your own (which is kinda misleading, as the game has some hidden enemy rules !!).

I'm deeply intrigued by this game, but I really don't want to step into this buy without a clear focus on the matter (as it is, it's not an easy and cheap game to get...).

Thanks for the insights !
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmb
As far as I can see, it's a 2-player game. It's listed that way, and that's what its description says.


PS: A rule of soloing 2-player wargames is:
For every 2-player wargame, there are people who say it is fun and workable to solo both sides.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Gallo
United States
O'Fallon
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ANY two-player game can be played solo. Some people do that to learn the game, some even enjoy it.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmb
martimer wrote:
ANY two-player game can be played solo.

There would be very little point in soloing Hanabi however.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Gallo
United States
O'Fallon
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There is "playing a game" and "playing a game". They are grammatically and thematically different. People miss that a lot (or for those of you who cannot handle proper grammar, a lot).
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Florent Leguern
France
Saint-Martin-d'Hères
France
flag msg tools
Groaning Grognard
badge
After all, a murder is only an extroverted suicide.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
martimer wrote:
ANY two-player game can be played solo. Some people do that to learn the game, some even enjoy it.


That's why I mentionned Hundred 20 and its Solitaire grading. I know any game can be played solo, but it's not what I want. The reason I first asked is because I received The Chosin Few yesterday, and there was a leaflet inside, with one side devoted to Angels one, with a quote stating that "there aren't many plane games suited for solitaire and this one nails it".

If by solitaire it's intended "2 player game that anyone can play solo by switching sides", I'm not calling that a solitaire game, but a damn misleading ad...
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmb
Eawyne wrote:
If by solitaire it's intended "2 player game that anyone can play solo by switching sides", I'm not calling that a solitaire game, but a damn misleading ad...

FWIW I completely agree, and it bugs me when wargame companies advertise 2-player games as suitable for solo/solitaire (or list it as being a game for "1-2 players", argh!) without making it clear whether they mean:

* it has a solitaire system, so you can play competitively trying to win against the system

or

* it's simply a 2-player wargame and (of course) you can play both sides

Since this game is listed for 2 players (not 1-2 players), I think we can assume it's a 2-player game. (But I do not know for sure.)
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Florent Leguern
France
Saint-Martin-d'Hères
France
flag msg tools
Groaning Grognard
badge
After all, a murder is only an extroverted suicide.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
russ wrote:
Eawyne wrote:
If by solitaire it's intended "2 player game that anyone can play solo by switching sides", I'm not calling that a solitaire game, but a damn misleading ad...

FWIW I completely agree, and it bugs me when wargame companies advertise 2-player games as suitable for solo/solitaire (or list it as being a game for "1-2 players", argh!) without making it clear whether they mean:

* it has a solitaire system, so you can play competitively trying to win against the system

or

* it's simply a 2-player wargame and (of course) you can play both sides

Since this game is listed for 2 players (not 1-2 players), I think we can assume it's a 2-player game. (But I do not know for sure.)


And then again, I saw the designer talk about solo-scenarios here and there ^^' I think it was an upgrade with VPG's version of the game... Might not be that much of it though. There's at least one in the Files section.

I'll probably just stick to a careful avoidance here ninja I was just hoping to see a nifty little tactical plane-game with a different take than London's Burning.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.