Biblios» Forums » Reviews

Subject: Biblios...at a glance! rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Aaron Nix
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Game night starts at 8, and your usual crew is there on time...but there are still two people who are running a little late, which means it probably wouldn't be a good idea to start the long games without them.

Now is the perfect time for Biblios.

Biblios is a quick little bidding game about purchasing and collecting books, and it also serves as one of the most sought-after fillers of all time.

The players start out by allocating cards to themselves, other players, and the auction based on their needs and strategies. Players each take a turn passing out cards in hopes of collecting enough cards in the categories that would allow them enough victory points to win.

Players also have a chance to collect cards during the auction phase. Cards are flipped over and bidding takes place until all but on player passes. Players are allowed to bluff, but if they are caught without the gold in their hand they need to purchase the card, they are heavily penalized.

There are 7 different types of cards: Five different book cards (pigments, monks, forbidden tomes, manuscripts, and holy books), gold (comes in the value of one, two, or three), and church cards. All of these are shuffled and put into a draw deck, and depending on the amount of players, a certain number of them are taken out and left in the box during play. On the book cards there are number values that range from 1-4.

The object of the game is to get the most points based off of a varying points scale. There is a scriptorium board with five colored dice on it that correspond to the different books. These five dice all start the game showing the number "three" representating the amount of points they are worth, but they can be manipulated whenever a church card is played to either lower or raise the number. The player that has the highest number value of cards in a given category win the points on the dice. The player that recives the most dice points emerges victorious!

This game is very fun and easy to teach! The strategy is very simple, so it is easy for even new players to compete. The artwork is beautiful, and the components are very well made for an affordable price.

The only real complaint that I have is that the game does not really encourage conversation. Often times the player who is allocating is too focused on where cards are going to go for anyone to talk to them. This sometimes can be okay with four players, as the other three can talk while the allocating player places cards. Less players makes that less likely, so if that is something that hangs you up in games, then this might not be for you.

Other than that, this game makes for a quick, fun, and easy to learn filler. Check out Biblios!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam P
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mb
Quote:
The only real complaint that I have is that the game does not really encourage conversation.

When I play I try to guess what the other player has, out-loud, which encourages more table talk. Great game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David B
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
adamredwoods wrote:
Quote:
The only real complaint that I have is that the game does not really encourage conversation.

When I play I try to guess what the other player has, out-loud, which encourages more table talk. Great game.

Yeah, I was a bit puzzled by this as well as all my games of Biblios have had just as much, if not more, table talk as any of my other games. The auctions and bluffing encourage banter and trash talk. No, Biblios is not The Resistance or Werewolf, but it is more "social" than the average euro.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.