Subject: Are Number Cards useless as of 3rd Edition Rules? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Erin A
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmb
Are Number Cards useless as of 3rd Edition Rules?

I ask this specifically, because there is at least one card in the core deck that responds to a DNC (draw numbers card) action. I think the card is the Devil's Deck or something like that.

And if this is true, I assume that the Devil's Deck is useless as well?
Thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Gibson
Canada
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
erisande wrote:
Are Number Cards useless as of 3rd Edition Rules?

I ask this specifically, because there is at least one card in the core deck that responds to a DNC (draw numbers card) action. I think the card is the Devil's Deck or something like that.

And if this is true, I assume that the Devil's Deck is useless as well?
Thanks

Number cards are used heavily in the Tall Tales.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron White
Australia
Bathurst
New South Wales
flag msg tools
Bennett from Brawl
badge
Slow and Thoughtful
mbmbmbmbmb
I had only just read e rules and logged on to ask this same question, not so much is it useless but why the standoff was removed? On one hand play is simpler, on the other hand it loses a little bit of that wild swing sort of play. I also find it unusual in that the rules specify shuffling and setting the number deck, but you could go several games without drawing from it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Gibson
Canada
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Rook96 wrote:
I had only just read e rules and logged on to ask this same question, not so much is it useless but why the standoff was removed? On one hand play is simpler, on the other hand it loses a little bit of that wild swing sort of play. I also find it unusual in that the rules specify shuffling and setting the number deck, but you could go several games without drawing from it.

The face-off (you said standoff) was removed because it either happened to little or too often. It was a very cool mechanic but it was clunky and confused A LOT of people. It also wasn't very strategic and often could undermine actual strategic plays you were trying to make. The face off also doesn't even happen in the Tall Tales portion of the game (the most popular portion of Grimslingers).

It was a tough decision to remove it, but ultimately the game is better for it. Players who like it and know what it is can totally house-rule it back into the game if they prefer.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron White
Australia
Bathurst
New South Wales
flag msg tools
Bennett from Brawl
badge
Slow and Thoughtful
mbmbmbmbmb
I just played the game without it and while I liked the apex mechanic, the game was smoother for it.

Regarding the "pay 3 EP to regain 5 deactivated cards" rule, would it be possible to have this printed on the Grimslinger card like how the Anima actions are printed on the Anima? It would make it easier to remember and easier when teaching others.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Gibson
Canada
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Rook96 wrote:
I just played the game without it and while I liked the apex mechanic, the game was smoother for it.

Regarding the "pay 3 EP to regain 5 deactivated cards" rule, would it be possible to have this printed on the Grimslinger card like how the Anima actions are printed on the Anima? It would make it easier to remember and easier when teaching others.

Hey again!

Glad to hear the feedback. I can't alter anything in the core game, because I don't want to alienate those that already own it / retailers trying to sell it.

HOWEVER, check out this image: http://i.imgur.com/qOyVo6B.png.

It's one of the cardstock mats that comes with the new expansion. It will have the deactivate info on it along with anything else you need to remember. Very handy!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony C
msg tools
It looks like there are two cards in the Duels portion of the game that refer to the Number Deck: Siphon (Signature Spell) and The Devil's Deck (Item). Has there been any thought to revising these cards so they no longer refer to the Number Deck, and therefore remove the need for the Number Deck during Duels?

For Siphon, it could work off of a die roll. For The Devil's Deck, you could also make it work off of a die roll or reframe it with a red icon. These new versions could be added to the current kickstarter, or these cards could be errata'd via the web or in the fourth edition rulebook.

I don't think changes to these cards would alienate anyone, especially if it makes setting up cards for Duels simpler and cleaner.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Gibson
Canada
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
aztecjoker wrote:
It looks like there are two cards in the Duels portion of the game that refer to the Number Deck: Siphon (Signature Spell) and The Devil's Deck (Item). Has there been any thought to revising these cards so they no longer refer to the Number Deck, and therefore remove the need for the Number Deck during Duels?

For Siphon, it could work off of a die roll. For The Devil's Deck, you could also make it work off of a die roll or reframe it with a red icon. These new versions could be added to the current kickstarter, or these cards could be errata'd via the web or in the fourth edition rulebook.

I don't think changes to these cards would alienate anyone, especially if it makes setting up cards for Duels simpler and cleaner.

Hey, thanks for the input! I'll think about it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron White
Australia
Bathurst
New South Wales
flag msg tools
Bennett from Brawl
badge
Slow and Thoughtful
mbmbmbmbmb
aztecjoker wrote:

+1 to this.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dudewaaagh
msg tools
mbmb
ssgibson wrote:

It's one of the cardstock mats that comes with the new expansion. It will have the deactivate info on it along with anything else you need to remember. Very handy!

Looks great! But are there no longer 2 deactivated piles? I've only just read first edition ruleset (in which the second pile was missing too, on the other hand ), so maybe it's been changed?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Gibson
Canada
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
dudewaaagh wrote:
ssgibson wrote:

Looks great! But are there no longer 2 deactivated piles? I've only just read first edition ruleset (in which the second pile was missing too, on the other hand ), so maybe it's been changed?

The first edition technically does need 2 deactivate piles.

The third edition changes up deactivates considerably - and makes them way less confusing. I highly, highly recommend playing by the third edition rules. I'll be working to release the full rulebook this week, but you can get the duels portion now, here on BGG.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles A. Smith
United States
Olathe
Kansas
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
ssgibson wrote:
The face-off (you said standoff) was removed because it either happened to little or too often. It was a very cool mechanic but it was clunky and confused A LOT of people. It also wasn't very strategic and often could undermine actual strategic plays you were trying to make. The face off also doesn't even happen in the Tall Tales portion of the game (the most popular portion of Grimslingers).

It was a tough decision to remove it, but ultimately the game is better for it. Players who like it and know what it is can totally house-rule it back into the game if they prefer.

I think the face-off adds tension in duels and could be much more exciting than a single die roll. I just got the game so I don't have experience with this. Not sure why a face-off undermined strategic plays while a single die roll would not. Even so, I'm glad the game could still allow face-offs.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Gibson
Canada
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Greybear wrote:
ssgibson wrote:

I think the face-off adds tension in duels and could be much more exciting than a single die roll. I just got the game so I don't have experience with this. Not sure why a face-off undermined strategic plays while a single die roll would not. Even so, I'm glad the game could still allow face-offs.

There is no die roll to determine things. The new rules leave much less stuff to random chance.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.