Gloomhaven» Forums » General

Subject: Back when Isaac thought 15lb would be excessive... rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Michael Bennett
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
http://www.cephalofair.com/2015/03/lets-talk-miniatures.html

As one does I've been reading through Isaacs old posts on his webpage and in reference to Gloomhaven back in 2005 I read an excerpt that made me laugh and I wanted to share with everyone, it's at the bottom of the article linked above.

Quote:

The other thing to consider with tactical combat miniatures games is that miniatures inherently limit game play. Depending on the company’s budget and the price of the game, you’re usually looking at under 10 different types of enemies that players can fight in the game. Even in Descent 2nd Edition there were only 9 monster types in the base game. And then the player ends up having to shell out more money for expansions to get more variability to the monsters. Because nobody wants to fight the same monster types over and over.

In Gloomhaven, I’m intending on giving players 70+ scenarios to play in the box. If the monsters were miniatures, I’d only be able to have a small number of monster types, and that would get boring very quickly. I never want component concerns to limit game play, so I’ve decide to not do miniatures for monsters. It would be totally awesome if I could, but then the box would weigh 15 pounds and cost $200, which just isn’t practical.

Oh Isaac, could you imagine if you had plunged head first down that rabbit hole how large a game it would have been! Something to consider for Aprils Kickstarter perhaps? devil laugh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Holland
United States
Batavia
OH
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
A full blown miniatures version of this game would be awesome and worth every bit of $200-250, if not more. I would have bought it in a heartbeat
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
jwhollan wrote:
A full blown miniatures version of this game would be awesome and worth every bit of $200-250, if not more. I would have bought it in a heartbeat

The problem with an all miniature version is the numbered enemies. You'd have to number each one and have it be visible then you have to have blood rage type bases for normal and elite. I mean I'd definitely buy it but logistically it may be difficult.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonas Kissling
Switzerland
Olten
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I just thought about this today while watching Alucards playthrous... All the monster match perfectly the environment. And they are not repetitive at all. At least in the beginning ???? Now i just have to wait patiently for the new KS...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Bennett
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I was very happy this game didn't go down the excessive minitures route though I'm sure there'd be demand for official minis. As someone who doesn't paint I prefer the full colour standees over bland plastic figures.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg
Canada
Winnipeg
Manitoba
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The standees do look pretty nice as the artwork on them is quite good.

But if an expansion pack were offered that included miniatures for everything, I would probably want to get it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Russo
Australia
Craigie
WA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
you mean back in 2015.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Bennett
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
carkara wrote:
you mean back in 2015.

Yes. Yes I do! Haha. I forget how old I am now. 2005 seems like only a few years ago...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.