Popular Tags: [View All]
Mitchell Lurcook
United States
Kingsport
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Does playing past 9 rounds hurt the game at all? like if we all agree before hand we will play 20/15 rounds?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Brown
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, very. All species would be able to get all 3 tech tracks filled which would hurt certain races. Octanis would be able to evolve everything, which would give them a LOT more points than any other species. Strong early game, weak late game races would be at a huge disadvantage. The game would likely end in complete elimination of most or all but one players. 9 rounds is exactly where it should be.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mitchell Lurcook
United States
Kingsport
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
thats fair, I ask because last night i played for the first time in about a year and teh game ended right when i started to get rolling so I was curious. it was probably due to me not playing for a while and not doign very well... oh well

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gabriel Conroy
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think you could go to 11 or 12 without wrecking the balance much, particularly if you are not experienced players.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vic R
Spain
Tomares (Seville)
flag msg tools
badge
Pure mathematics is the world's best game. It is more absorbing than chess, more of a gamble than poker, and lasts longer than Monopoly. It's free. It can be played anywhere - Archimedes did it in a bathtub
mbmbmbmbmb
There was a variant where you rolled 2D6 at the end of each turn after turn 9 and if you get equal or more there are a turn more so:
turn 9 9-12 extra turn
turn 10 10-12 extra turn and so on
The point was a bit to avoid the last turn issue "I dont care how I will defend that system or burn everything in this turn because it doesnt matter what happens tomorrow" you have to be a bit more consevative when there is almost a 1/3 chance that there will be another turn and lost everything you got in turn 9 in an extra turn 10. As the chance of extra turn dimish it with each extra turn is unusual to have a 12 or a 13 turn game (the hard limit) so I havent experienced any balance issue
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Krasny
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow that is interesting!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Lustenberger
United States
Nashua
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
The power of customization!
badge
Lelouch vi Britannia commands you... All of you... To play more games!
mbmbmbmbmb
vica8081 wrote:
There was a variant where you rolled 2D6 at the end of each turn after turn 9 and if you get equal or more there are a turn more so:
turn 9 9-12 extra turn
turn 10 10-12 extra turn and so on
The point was a bit to avoid the last turn issue "I dont care how I will defend that system or burn everything in this turn because it doesnt matter what happens tomorrow" you have to be a bit more consevative when there is almost a 1/3 chance that there will be another turn and lost everything you got in turn 9 in an extra turn 10. As the chance of extra turn dimish it with each extra turn is unusual to have a 12 or a 13 turn game (the hard limit) so I havent experienced any balance issue

I really like this idea. I'm just concerned with it adding length to the game if people are expecting it to end it could cause frustration.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Travis C
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmb
That dice idea is what I needed for my group.

Almost every game my group would invade a hex, and then upgrade something on top of their drives, so they can't move anymore, but they don't need to because it's the last round. Brilliant!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Lustenberger
United States
Nashua
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I believe you always need at least one drive, no?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trevor Schadt
United States
Glenshaw
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
AbyssalStalker wrote:
I believe you always need at least one drive, no?
That is correct. Interceptors, Cruisers and Dreadnoughts need at least one drive.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Lustenberger
United States
Nashua
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thought so!

Seems your friends have been really cheesing you if they replaced all drives with other ship parts!:ninja:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.