Subject: 259VP, it can be done rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Markus A
Sweden
Gothenburg
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I just wanted to confirm that it is indeed possible to max out the VP of the game. I'm just home from a 5p expert game where I purchased all the civilization advances, made it all the way to the last column of th A.S.T. and finished with 9 cities.
It was just one of those freak games when everything just end up going your way by some magical force. I only had 2 trading rounds with less than 200 points in the entire game, got lucky in many of the last trades and escaped being primary victim of calamities. Not every turn but enough to make a difference. Never drew civil war and only had Tyranny once. Really, the only thing I can think of that could have gone better was purchasing a #9 card once and getting Regression. So, it can be done if you get into a good flow.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Schulzetenberg
United States
Albuquerque
NM
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow. Must have been a group where everybody was willing to trade pretty freely. There seems to always be one or two people in my groups who are a bit tightfisted, and though it usually doesn't work out well for them, it does mean that sets are a bit harder to get. I'm amazed to see it happen -- I've never seen anybody get even close. Thanks for the report!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Flo de Haan
Netherlands
Heerhugowaard
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Congratulations. Never saw a game that prosperous.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Markus A
Sweden
Gothenburg
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Thanks, and yes, it was crazy. I honestly didn't realize how well I was doing until the late game, the discounts really rack up fast at the end.
Each player often ended up having several pairs, some triplets or a quadruple that someone else was also collecting and in order to both prosper people would rather allow someone else to get a full set as long as the player could complete his own set as well. So, more "big" trades than usual.
Somehow 5p games usually play very differently for us. I've been on the exact opposite side as well, getting completely hammered by calamities turn after turn. At least this time I only drew Regression once...
But I'm very aware of this game most likely beeing the game of a lifetime. I doubt I'll ever be able to pull it off again.
The player who came in last still had 133VP, so points were high all around.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Flo de Haan
Netherlands
Heerhugowaard
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
MarkusA wrote:
Thanks, and yes, it was crazy. I honestly didn't realize how well I was doing until the late game, the discounts really rack up fast at the end.
Each player often ended up having several pairs, some triplets or a quadruple that someone else was also collecting and in order to both prosper people would rather allow someone else to get a full set as long as the player could complete his own set as well. So, more "big" trades than usual.
Somehow 5p games usually play very differently for us. I've been on the exact opposite side as well, getting completely hammered by calamities turn after turn. At least this time I only drew Regression once...
But I'm very aware of this game most likely beeing the game of a lifetime. I doubt I'll ever be able to pull it off again.
The player who came in last still had 133VP, so points were high all around.

Well, the thing is...
The more players, the more likely someone will reach the end, and finish the game soon enough before one player can get this enormous amount of VP's.
As soon as you play with 5 players, it may happen that all 5 players get stuck and then you play another round, and another. But as long as you are buying cards, you build up more and more credits. In the end you can get a lot of the cards for cheap.

the 10 credits to every color at the start of the game helps in kickstarting the game, but also can be a flywheel later in the game.

A monster score like this will most likely be achieved in a 5 player expert game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Markus A
Sweden
Gothenburg
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Indeed it was an expert game but we only had one "extra" turn, the game ended in 17 turns. Having the extra 10p discount did help to speed up purchases I'm sure. However, trying to analyze a game will likely be cause for a mild insanity, lol.
Calamities had a fairly predictable frequency which meant every other turn would hit hard. Often the "last" needed commodity was left trapped in the stack. People often collected the same commodities which enabled big trades.
Frequently both a high value set would be traded in together with a lower value set, resulting in high value purchases.
Early pottery and Medicine helped me immensely. (I played Hellas)
Right from the start me and Minoa came to a stable agreement which we both held to throughout the entire game. We would be mindful and help each other out rather than trying to trip one another up. That gave us a stable platform to build from and we could both focus our efforts westwards. Our play style is without a doubt focusing on the wellbeing of everyone while trying to do a little bit better yourself as compared to more aggressive styles where people focus more on trashing the competitors game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mikael Johansson
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
It was really interesting game, I'm always trying to opt for a peaceful game and staying really nice with all my neighbours (I was Minoa in this game). I think that I could have gotten a bit better score but it was first time ever playing Minoa and I'm not used to optimizing boat movement. I'm getting a bit better at trading (this was my fourth playthrough of Mega Civilization).

I had a setback midgame (got three non-tradeable calamities and another calamity not beting able to trade that round) but managed to claw myself out of it really good in the end and finished second, with about 195 VP. But as you all say the trading can be really nice in 5 player games compared to larger games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.