Recommend
14 
 Thumb up
 Hide
56 Posts
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 

Championship Formula Racing» Forums » General

Subject: I received my copy! rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Richard Irving
United States
Harrisburg
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I got my copy of CFR yesterday. Looks really nice, can't wait to try it out! Having played the original Speed Circuit and the WBC tournament a few years ago (which uses CFR rules), it should be easy to get into.

I got Monaco & Monza, which are the classic slow & fast tracks, rather the modern Nurbergring. OK by me! Both of these tracks are very different from the originals in Speed Circuit--but the original tracks have added chicanes since the 60's.

The cars look nice. Detailed enough to show the driver! More a 70's-80's era style than today (More of a flat profile and the driver's head and shoulder are far more exposed.) A couple of the reds looks pretty close in color, maybe I'll have to paint the wings identification easier.

And the cards look bold and easy to see across the table. I received 6 packs of CFR card sleeves, but since the color of each card matches the back of the driver deck, I did not sleeve those cards. I only used the sleeves on the speed decks which will get much more handling during play.

A few minor typos in the rulebook, but I noted since I got the "Michael Schumacher" edition for 8 players, the equipment list had the correct number of chits and driver/speed decks for that edition, so the rulebook is changed between 4 player/12 player editions. But the component list says 12 (only got the expected 8) cars and no mention of the historic driver and tactic cards (Though their rules are in the rulebook.)

Looking forward to playing it!
13 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith Higdon
United States
madison
Alabama
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Nice. I missed the Kickstarter, so I'm going to have to wait for a retail copy. Hopefully not much longer.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Busch

Broomfield
Colorado
msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmb
Great! I would love to see some pics.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ismael Descolado
Brazil
Curitiba
Paraná
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
space monkey mafia wrote:
Great! I would love to see some pics.


I echo!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb

I got mine today and uploaded unboxing photos to the image section of the game page. I don't know how long it takes before they will be approved and visible. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ismael Descolado
Brazil
Curitiba
Paraná
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
lucky henry wrote:

I got mine today and uploaded unboxing photos to the image section of the game page. I don't know how long it takes before they will be approved and visible. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯



The core game come with 2 RACETRACKS, but your pics have 4 RACETRACKS.

 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
descolado1 wrote:
lucky henry wrote:

I got mine today and uploaded unboxing photos to the image section of the game page. I don't know how long it takes before they will be approved and visible. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯



The core game come with 2 RACETRACKS, but your pics have 4 RACETRACKS.



Correct. Two of the tracks come with the Mansell add-on.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Hoyt

Butte
Montana
msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm mildly bummed that the cars don't fit the spaces on the tracks better
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
blockhead wrote:
I'm mildly bummed that the cars don't fit the spaces on the tracks better


Me too...mildly. If the cars were smaller they would be too small for me, and if the spaces were larger it would increase the footprint of the game too much. I can live with it.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Beckman
United States
Sterling Heights
Michigan
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Just noticed that as well. Slightly annoying. We'll see what happens when there's a pile up.

Also slightly annoying - no color difference between the 1 and 5 Wear markers. Certainly not a big deal, but it does mean taking an extra second to look.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Beckman
United States
Sterling Heights
Michigan
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
On the positive side, the materials all seem first-rate, and the cars are pretty nice. The card sleeves (very high quality) will work great for the speed decks, which get so much handling. And if by chance someone loses a speed deck card, it will be easy to replace, even with a hand-made one if necessary, if you have them all in card sleeves.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darrell Hanning
United States
Jacksonville
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
We will meet at the Hour of Scampering.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
lucky henry wrote:
blockhead wrote:
I'm mildly bummed that the cars don't fit the spaces on the tracks better


Me too...mildly. If the cars were smaller they would be too small for me, and if the spaces were larger it would increase the footprint of the game too much. I can live with it.


Frankly, I'm disappointed. It means somebody either failed to correctly specify the size of the cars to the plastics people (or not ask for a sample before the full run), did not measure out the tracks for folded boards in the box, or did not compare the box measurements to the folded board form factor. These are simple enough mistakes to avoid for other publishers, and there are object lessons already printed to learn from. (Anybody remember the original Pandemic?)
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
DarrellKH wrote:
lucky henry wrote:
blockhead wrote:
I'm mildly bummed that the cars don't fit the spaces on the tracks better


Me too...mildly. If the cars were smaller they would be too small for me, and if the spaces were larger it would increase the footprint of the game too much. I can live with it.


Frankly, I'm disappointed. It means somebody either failed to correctly specify the size of the cars to the plastics people (or not ask for a sample before the full run), did not measure out the tracks for folded boards in the box, or did not compare the box measurements to the folded board form factor. These are simple enough mistakes to avoid for other publishers, and there are object lessons already printed to learn from. (Anybody remember the original Pandemic?)


After playing with it for a while, I do find it more than mildly disappointing. It's an error(s) that should have easily been avoided. Especially considering the cost for the game and all addons.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Briel
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
Grak !
Avatar
mbmbmbmb
Mine arrived last night and looks good. I was in for everything and I got a little baggie of 4 cars that are some of the same colors as the 12 in the main box. I thought at least some of them were pre-painted from the supplements.

The box quality is ok. Mine arrived a bit banged up but ok. For as much stuff in the box as there is, it would have been nice to have a thicker box. The insert is garbage but that's fine. I chucked it right away in favor of a better storage solution. The boards are pretty good as well. Nice and thick but my supplemental board is a bit warped. The cards themselves seem nice. The borderless speed cards will likely wear pretty fast but the included sleeves will mitigate that. The cars being too big for the spaces is a downer. The tracks could have easily been a bit bigger and still fit on their current board size. The cars themselves are nice models but as I mentioned above, I have 4 random duplicates. Some of the reddish colors are really close to each other too and difficult to distinguish. The rulebook is ok with random slightly annoying typos. Some extra test charts for player aids would have been a nice addition.

It sounds like I'm down on the game and I'm really not that much. The price point just doesn't really match the quality standard in my opinion. I'm glad I have it and I know I'll enjoy it (I've been using Doug's SC rules to play for years now) but the finalized product doesn't wow me like I hoped it would. That said, however, the tracks themselves are well done and the historical racers with AI are really cool. I'm looking forward to giving them a try.
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Koff
United States
Wilmington
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
Check out my "What's Next?" blog.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've never played CFR, but why are the pit boxes all located on the wrong side of the track? This seems to be the case for the Monza, Nurburg, Monaco and Silverstone boards.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Polcen
United States
Ashburn
Virginia
flag msg tools
I play Speed Circuit / Championship Formula Racing at Redscape.
badge
www.redscape.com... proud sponsor of neighborly warfare since 1998
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
spindoc wrote:
I've never played CFR, but why are the pit boxes all located on the wrong side of the track? This seems to be the case for the Monza, Nurburg, Monaco and Silverstone boards.

Heh... look at that. From a game-play perspective, I don't think it matters. The tracks are already highly stylized so it must be for practical/aesthetic purposes.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil Lewis
United States
Evans
Georgia
flag msg tools
“Whatever you do, He will make good of it. But not the good He had prepared for you if you had obeyed Him.” Perelandra, C.S. Lewis
badge
"He died not for men, but for each man. If each man had been the only man made, He would have done no less.” Perelandra, C.S. Lewis
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Received the base game plus additional cars and decks, but only the one double-sided track for Monza-Monte Carlo. Was this split into two shipments? I sent a note off to Jolly Roger Games a few minutes ago--I'm sure we'll get it set right.

THE DAN GURNEY
"Because you'd rather spray champagne rather than drink it."

One (1) copy of Championship Formula Racing
One (1) copy of Expansion #1 [The Ligier]
One (1) copy of Expansion #2 [The Tyrell]
Includes all unlocked Stretch Goals.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
red_herring wrote:
Received the base game plus additional cars and decks, but only the one double-sided track for Monza-Monte Carlo. Was this split into two shipments? I sent a note off to Jolly Roger Games a few minutes ago--I'm sure we'll get it set right.

THE DAN GURNEY
"Because you'd rather spray champagne rather than drink it."

One (1) copy of Championship Formula Racing
One (1) copy of Expansion #1 [The Ligier]
One (1) copy of Expansion #2 [The Tyrell]
Includes all unlocked Stretch Goals.


The two additional tracks were in The Mansell add-on.
See the photo in my post above whistle
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil Lewis
United States
Evans
Georgia
flag msg tools
“Whatever you do, He will make good of it. But not the good He had prepared for you if you had obeyed Him.” Perelandra, C.S. Lewis
badge
"He died not for men, but for each man. If each man had been the only man made, He would have done no less.” Perelandra, C.S. Lewis
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Was that a separate box from your base game?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
The Gurney was shrinkwrapped, the Mansell was not shrinkwrapped. Both were in the same shipping box.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
This smaller Mansell box:
https://www.boardgamegeek.com/image/3463333/championship-for...
was on top of the Gurney box:
https://www.boardgamegeek.com/image/3463331/championship-for...

Both were inside a larger plain brown shipping box.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil Lewis
United States
Evans
Georgia
flag msg tools
“Whatever you do, He will make good of it. But not the good He had prepared for you if you had obeyed Him.” Perelandra, C.S. Lewis
badge
"He died not for men, but for each man. If each man had been the only man made, He would have done no less.” Perelandra, C.S. Lewis
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
lucky henry wrote:
The Gurney was shrinkwrapped, the Mansell was not shrinkwrapped. Both were in the same shipping box.


Thanks. Good to know. Hopefully, a quick response from JRG will resolve my missing components.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
red_herring wrote:
lucky henry wrote:
The Gurney was shrinkwrapped, the Mansell was not shrinkwrapped. Both were in the same shipping box.


Thanks. Good to know. Hopefully, a quick response from JRG will resolve my missing components.


From your post above, it looks like you only got the Gurney, not the Mansell.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil Lewis
United States
Evans
Georgia
flag msg tools
“Whatever you do, He will make good of it. But not the good He had prepared for you if you had obeyed Him.” Perelandra, C.S. Lewis
badge
"He died not for men, but for each man. If each man had been the only man made, He would have done no less.” Perelandra, C.S. Lewis
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
lucky henry wrote:
red_herring wrote:
lucky henry wrote:
The Gurney was shrinkwrapped, the Mansell was not shrinkwrapped. Both were in the same shipping box.


Thanks. Good to know. Hopefully, a quick response from JRG will resolve my missing components.


From your post above, it looks like you only got the Gurney, not the Mansell.


So just the single track in the Gurney? I clearly missed the Mansell in my pre-order.

Thanks again.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb

One board with two tracks in the Gurney. The Mansell adds one more board with two more tracks.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.