Canada
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb

The rules:

1. The object of the game is:
- a. To immobilize or
- b. To Bare the opponent's Dux.
- c. However, it's illegal for a player to immobilize his own Dux.

2. A player without any legal moves is stalemated and loses the game.

3. All pieces move like Orthodox Chess Rooks.

4. Pieces can neither play diagonally nor jump each other (like in checkers or draughts).

5. Soldiers are captured by means of the custodial attacks tactic (moving in to surround an enemy soldier between two friendly pieces).

6. A piece can move safely in between two enemy pieces, without being captured.

7. Multiple soldiers can be captured in one turn. (example: creating multiple custodial capture situations with the same move)

8. A soldier in a corner of the board can be captured if surrounded an attacked both vertically and horizontally.

9. Captures are not mandatory.

10. Enemy Soldiers in a skirmish are locked (to the square) and cannot make any non-offensive moves.

11. Locked soldiers can break the lock to make offensive moves. In other words, a soldier that is engaged in a combat can abandon his current combat post, if his move forces a capture somewhere else on the board, or a hit on the enemy Dux (see rule 19 below).

12. A piece (soldier or Dux) in a melee (many-to-one combats) is allowed to move and can abandon his post to be redeployed as long as all enemy pieces he was in combat with, remain still locked in combat against other friendly piece(s).

13. A piece can push a single friendly piece and crush an enemy soldier against:
- a. the Walls of the City, or
- b. another friendly piece
to accomplish the capture of the enemy soldier.

14. The enemy soldier in the rear of a linear defensive formation can be captured by means of a directional flank attack.

15. A Phalanx is a directional attack whereby the Phalanx turns into a Testudo and causes the capture of a soldier in the same orthogonal line (row or flank) and the same direction, but on the other side of the Testudo.

16. A Dux in a one-on-one combat with a single enemy piece can ONLY move non-offensively one square orthogonally.

17. A Dux in a two-on-one combat against two enemy pieces can ONLY make offensive moves.

18. A Dux that is partially-immobilized (i.e. ONLY one orthogonal adjacent square open) cannot make any moves at all.

19. A move that hits the enemy Dux is always considered as an offensive move.

20. Enjoy the game, picture yourself (sword in hand) within a real battlefield, and have fun!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karen Robinson

Colorado
msg tools
I have a question about the Testudo/Phalanx. You state that it is a square or rectangular formation. Does that include a 1x2 (or 1xn) rectangle? Your examples all show rectangles at least two stones by two stones.

In other words, if I have a stone adjacent to an enemy stone, can I bring another stone up behind my own to form a 1x2 phalanx and capture the enemy stone on the far side? (This would be like the crush move, only without the wall or the friendly piece on the other side of the enemy stone.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.