Popular Tags: [View All]
David Griffin
United States
Marietta
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I was thinking about the original Battlestar Galactica series. I was thinking about it in terms of a game but in doing that I was thinking about that original Commander Adama’s problem after the Cylon attack.

The fleet isn’t exactly a “wagon train to the stars” because such a wagon train is supported by its culture. The Colonial culture had been basically crushed. As such, all Adama had was what he could scrounge in terms of ships, equipment, and personnel. It’s something of a miracle that the Galactica survived even a short time given the logistics.

Due to the Galactica’s leaving of the fleet, the returning Battlestar found it had only its surviving vipers plus a collection of the Vipers from the other destroyed ships. Presumably in the gathering of forces, Adama found everything he could scrounge before he left. To even have a chance, given that Earth apparently was decades away, those agricultural ships, and some way to refine and mine fuel, and some way to replace spare parts would seem to be essential.

We don’t know how many people they were feeding, but there were supposedly 200+ ships and the new series said there were something like 50,000 people in THEIR fleet. Even with those massive “botanical cruisers” with their domes (a reuse of the Silent Running ships), you have to wonder how much food they could actually produce, and what were these ships built for when the Colonials were living on their planets anyway? And even with 50,000 people, you’d be hard pressed to end up with the essential skills you needed to even run the fleet, much less flourish.

So as far as gaming the Galactica’s journey from the Colonies to Earth, as I see it there are three problems you would want to express in the game: First feeding everyone in the fleet; Second keeping all those ships fueled and moving; Last but not least, fending off the periodic attacks from the Cylon empire as the journey continued.

We know the Galactica started out with a lot of the food poisoned with Pluton poisoning whatever that is. It appeared to be radiation damage of some kind. Were the Botanical Cruisers already producing? How much of the food came from the cruisers, how much was taken from the Colonies, and how much was scavenged along the way?

We know at some point the Galactica was running out of fuel. They got some from the Pegasus and ended up grabbing quite a lot from the Cylon city that Pegasus was used to stealing from. Presumably, the Galactica needed to either mine and refine fuel along the way, or steal it from the Cylons (something that was perhaps better left to the Pegasus).

Lastly there were the attacks of the Cylons. It’s not clear how often the Cylons attacked or what their actual goal was. We know in retrospect that the Cylons were being harassed by the Pegasus as they were harassing the Galactica. But were they truly attempting to destroy the Humans or merely drive them away? Continual attacks would have worn down the fleet. One would presume that the episodes were the dangerous times when the Cylons attacked punctuating long periods of relative inactivity.

So what would the game be? Would it be a Euro game of logistics with the player attempting to grow or scavenge food and attempting to mine, refine, or steal fuel to keep the fleet moving and fed? Or a combat game of fending off Cylon attacks on the way to Earth. Or an exploration game exploring and exploiting planets along the way? Or some combination of all of these? Is it worth even thinking about this sort of game, even as a print and play?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Zurunkel
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Battlestar Galactica

Battlestar Galactica

Pyramid (Battlestar Galactica)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Griffin
United States
Marietta
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes I have the first 2 and I'm not sure the third one really counts. The first is a terrible game. The Second is a decent little combat game but not the best match for the IP. I've dressed it up with a new board set and had some fun with it though.

I feel like the original show deserves better.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John "Omega" Williams
United States
Kentwood
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Theres at least one conversion to Star Frontiers Knight Hawks space battle system. Using just fighters armed with laser pots instead of assault rockets. And a single battlecruiser armed mostly with laser batteries.

In fact you could convert the whole FS system and play it out on space and land.

I've heard there is a conversion for Dawn Patrol too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Griffin
United States
Marietta
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
As an old wargamer, that's the kind of thing I'd have thought of. But I've tried to branch out a little and play some board games and I'm just wondering if "managing" the logistics as well as holding off the Cylons might make an interesting euro type game.

That said, I have all the Cylons and Colonials to play the whole thing out in Full Thrust, no problem.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Griffin
United States
Marietta
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Because I don't have a regular group, I tend to mock up solitaire games or 2 player games. If this were a worker placement game, it might have a board something like this. Now I don't really UNDERSTAND worker placement mechanics at this point. I'm thinking though that the core mechanic might be allocating the Vipers for missions (food scavenging, fuel scavenging, attacking Cylon outposts) or for defense. Maybe having the Vipers come back and have to rearm and repair so they'd be out a turn after coming back? Maybe you'd have engineers and farmers (really engineering and agricultural teams) to allocate to research or for repairs or to increase crop yields? Maybe there would be cards for technologies you could buy with the research points?

You'd have to feed the people on the fleet, keep the ships fueled (so the second core mechanic is scrounging or improving food and fuel production), AND fight off the cylons. Maybe there would be space tiles with different legends for what you could do on the tiles? There would be a stack of tiles but the last one would be Earth?

The thing is though that I'm not sure how to make the worker placement fun or functional. Galactica isn't a "civilization" that can easily build new technologies -- it's more makeshift. And what are the turns? Years? Months? And if the Combat isn't supposed to really be the thing here, how can it be made fun, but also fast and streamlined?

This is more of a design exercise than a game, I'm trying to learn a little of how game designers think when they build a game. Maybe it will help me understand published games better. I'm not a great Euro player but I used to love this show when I was much younger.

Tell me what you think. How would you approach this game, if you weren't going to make it a typical war-game, but rather a modern board game?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Herr
United States
Palos Hills
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Since the original was so much more of a "campy" thing, it could make for a somewhat light-hearted co-op scenario. I like the worker placement concept, but maybe you do it form the perspective of the rest of the fleet: Each player is one or more non-Galactica ship(s) that performs some vital function. The longer everybody is flying, the better off the fleet is. The Galactica's guns/vipers could be a resource that everyone needs to share and conserve.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Griffin
United States
Marietta
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
The show was campy, but I think that was more the times. It was kind of larger than life and short on details. But that doesn't mean that the idea of a fleet running from an adversary isn't an interesting setting.

Not too many of those ships were mentioned to any extent. The Agro ships were (and somewhat glossed over but they would be critical to survival certainly), and the Celestra/electronics ship. There was some hint that one of the ships might hold livestock. There might have been a mobile refinery? Might be tough to come up with candidates.

Plus wouldn't a player playing the Galactica feel like he had the "good" role? Usually each player in this sort of game feels as though he is equivalent to all the others.

My original idea is also deeply flawed in terms of scale. The whole journey took decades given Adama's age in Galactica 1980 and the fact that Boxy was all grown up. So by that, each turn, if there are a manageable number, say 12 means that each one is a year or more long, maybe 2-3. Yet I was thinking of Vipers needing a turn to turn around which is clearly ludicrous on that scale.

Is the game in keeping the Vipers flying, building replacements when some are destroyed (as they clearly were) and training replacements, OR is the game in the logistics of building a food and fuel creating/scavenging engine to allow the fleet to get to Earth at all? Or is it both? Or neither?

Plus if this weren't Galactica, and the civilization was under threat from say a Twilight Imperium opponent () he would have time to customize his fleet to have the best chance of success. The resulting fleet would have little to do with what Galactica actually had! When you think about it, the whole idea of trying to take that fleet decades along a journey was pretty crazy. Even a military group with all the appropriate logistics ships would have had a lot of trouble pulling that off. What made the idea even plausible was that apparently the Colonies had left a wake of abandoned colonies and settlements in their wake as they traveled from Kobol.

If this were a Star Trek Next Generation fleet, you could use replicators to solve the food problem and I suspect you can keep antimatter reactors running a long time. But if you have to fuel up and keep 50,000 people fed, well perhaps the details don't bear thinking about too closely (in the old OR new Galactica).

The New Galactica added the whole betrayal thing which I'm not interested in personally though the game based on it was very good.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John "Omega" Williams
United States
Kentwood
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
You two have very skewed ideas of what "campy" means.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kai Herbertz
Germany
Düsseldorf
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I loved the old show and *gasp* preferred it to the new one. That said, I think the Fantasy Flight board game of the new Battlestar Galactica is outstanding.
Therefore, my suggestion would be to re-theme (re-skin?) the FFG game with cards and sheets for the old characters. That'd be awesome, imho, ymmv.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tor Iver Wilhelmsen
Norway
Oslo
Unspecified
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Omega2064 wrote:

Well, the show's reuse of launch and space combat footage was a bit tiresome, but that episode with Fred Astaire made up for it.

But the abomination called Battlestar Galactica 1980 ruins all of it. "So you can travel in time?" "Oh yes." Then why didn't you do so earlier in order to prevent the entire Cylon thing in the first place!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Griffin
United States
Marietta
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
KaiHerbertz wrote:
I loved the old show and *gasp* preferred it to the new one. That said, I think the Fantasy Flight board game of the new Battlestar Galactica is outstanding.
Therefore, my suggestion would be to re-theme (re-skin?) the FFG game with cards and sheets for the old characters. That'd be awesome, imho, ymmv.

The new game is all about betrayal and there is no such theme in the original series though. I'm not sure it will re-skin.

I liked the original better too, even though the new one was superbly acted, well written, etc. Just didn't like the re-imagining.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt D
United States
Peachtree corners
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Omega2064 wrote:

Agreed. The term is thrown around a lot. It means intentional exaggeration for comedic effect.

Batman's "Shark Repellent Bat Spray" = Campy Super Hero
Get Smart = Campy Spy

Anything that you might interpret now as "camp" from the original BSG is just a 40 year later viewpoint on what the best was they could accomplish on a tv special effects budget in the late 1970's. At best, it's unintended comedy.

It has a good run, and for something that was essentially a somewhat lower budget attempt to capitalize on the success of Star Wars while incorporating a bit more philosophy and LDS tenets than just delivering pure sci-fi content.

So in a way, the "re-imagining" is actually pretty close to the core of the original - a show that examines themes of morality and philosophy in a futuristic space setting. It's just exploring different themes, is all.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Griffin
United States
Marietta
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
It's not as intentionally campy as Irwin Allen shows like Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea IMHO (though I liked that show). The original movie done in the same era for Voyage showed it didn't have to have that campy feel.

I guess to me campy just means kind of larger than life, glossy but somewhat unrealistic treatment of the theme. Like a caricature of a person rather than a portrait.

On the other hand, having heroic characters to root for is a good thing from my viewpoint. Today's "there are no heroes" theme in movies and television -- that any hero we see must be flawed and those flaws have to be thrown into sharp relief on screen -- is tiresome to me. I'm tired of a never-ending series of dystopian themes populated by flawed, sometimes villainous protagonists. It's the times we live in, but I don't have to like it.

Back to the theme of the post, I'm getting the impression that most of you don't think this idea is really that good in terms of making a game. Maybe that is a good thing because I'm not probably not experienced enough to make a game like this work. I would like to see this old series get a GOOD game though.

Just so you don't think I'm dissing the FASA BSG game. This is that game with new game boards and downloaded replacement player boards. Still has some flawed rules but at least it looks better now.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kai Herbertz
Germany
Düsseldorf
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
carbon_dragon wrote:
The new game is all about betrayal and there is no such theme in the original series though. I'm not sure it will re-skin.

The betrayal element is indeed a big part of the new game and perhaps tricky for a 1:1 conversion to the old BSG.

However, in the old show Baltar betrayed the humans, as well - admittedly early on, but still. The "Cylons that look like humans" element was also introduced in the old show, if Galactica 1980 counts.

Even if it isn't 100% true to the old show, I would be ok with that inaccuracy, since the FFG game is just that good.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Griffin
United States
Marietta
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
KaiHerbertz wrote:
carbon_dragon wrote:

The betrayal element is indeed a big part of the new game and perhaps tricky for a 1:1 conversion to the old BSG.

However, in the old show Baltar betrayed the humans, as well - admittedly early on, but still. The "Cylons that look like humans" element was also introduced in the old show, if Galactica 1980 counts.

Even if it isn't 100% true to the old show, I would be ok with that inaccuracy, since the FFG game is just that good.

The new show put the blame for the cylons on the Colonials and brought the Human looking cylons from Galactica 1980 into the show. I think the themes are too mismatched to allow a reskin. The new game is all about traitor mechanics and there was nothing like that in the theme of the original show.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt D
United States
Peachtree corners
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
carbon_dragon wrote:

On the other hand, having heroic characters to root for is a good thing from my viewpoint. Today's "there are no heroes" theme in movies and television -- that any hero we see must be flawed and those flaws have to be thrown into sharp relief on screen -- is tiresome to me. I'm tired of a never-ending series of dystopian themes populated by flawed, sometimes villainous protagonists. It's the times we live in, but I don't have to like it.

I am a generation behind you, but I agree 100%. I find it a sad state of affairs that we had a movie about Superman, for better or worse one of the biggest "golden good guys" in the history of comics, a paragon of everything that is supposed to be good, and instead of having that character we got an angsty hated alien with powers and a costume that resemble him.

I mean, Superman et al aren't really role models in any realistic sense, but it was nice to grow up looking at characters like that. There's a real absence of them these days.

As much as they were a stretch to imagine back then, the world has changed so much that they are now impossibilities.

Cynical times, indeed...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Griffin
United States
Marietta
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
hestiansun wrote:
carbon_dragon wrote:

I am a generation behind you, but I agree 100%. I find it a sad state of affairs that we had a movie about Superman, for better or worse one of the biggest "golden good guys" in the history of comics, a paragon of everything that is supposed to be good, and instead of having that character we got an angsty hated alien with powers and a costume that resemble him.

I mean, Superman et al aren't really role models in any realistic sense, but it was nice to grow up looking at characters like that. There's a real absence of them these days.

As much as they were a stretch to imagine back then, the world has changed so much that they are now impossibilities.

Cynical times, indeed...

Well put. In a real sense, I suspect these days movie audiences are no longer able to believe in the existence of an actual hero or a positive future. Or maybe the media producers have conditioned them to this belief. Or maybe they're just catering to times where hope for the future is in short supply.

I'm just tired of it in my movies and games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Etkin
United States
Gloversville
New York
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
biddi biddi biddi
mbmbmbmbmb
carbon_dragon wrote:
KaiHerbertz wrote:
carbon_dragon wrote:

The new show put the blame for the cylons on the Colonials and brought the Human looking cylons from Galactica 1980 into the show. I think the themes are too mismatched to allow a reskin. The new game is all about traitor mechanics and there was nothing like that in the theme of the original show.

I like (parts of them) both (both REALLY lost steam towards the end of their respective runs), but Original BSG and Nu-BSG are completely and utterly two different shows. There's virtually no similarities between them, IMO, and if you simply "reskined" Nu-BSG with different looking ships and used different pronouns, nobody would even see a comparison, save the fact that both fight robots and both are "lookin' for Earth."

That said... As has been voiced already, I don't think a reskin of FFG BSG remotely fits the old show, any more than a reskin of FFG BSG would fit Star Wars.

To me, old BSG, at least from a nuts-n-bolts game standpoint, is about resource management, risk mitigation, cultural differences, and combat.

If I was going to design a game based on old BSG, I would make it a something with these elements:

Co-op (Galactica) vs. Overlord (Cylons and other elements like FIRE! and Ovions)

Resources management (solon, food, scrap useage, etc.) and trading mechanics

Light worker placement

Combat mechanic (could be light like Eclipse, or heavier with actual tactical elements (like Titan?)

Exploration/Hex movement... Endgame triggered by finding Earth.You want to be in a position of locating Earth while having mitigated enough Cylon agro so you don't destroy Earth once you find it.

Mix in other fun random things like Pegasus, artifacts, etc.

The key, IMO would be not making ANY of these elements super heavy.

I'd also look towards other original BSG sources for inspiration - The (great) Marvel comics run and the novels. Don't be afraid to take where the original series WANTED to go, but couldn't due to budget restraints... for example, instead of constantly (and inexplicably) running into pockets of humans on perfectly good worlds, the Galactica must interact (trade?) with alien cultures, some semi-hostile to humans (like Ovions).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Griffin
United States
Marietta
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
MOTHDevil wrote:
carbon_dragon wrote:
KaiHerbertz wrote:
carbon_dragon wrote:

I like (parts of them) both (both REALLY lost steam towards the end of their respective runs), but Original BSG and Nu-BSG are completely and utterly two different shows. There's virtually no similarities between them, IMO, and if you simply "reskined" Nu-BSG with different looking ships and used different pronouns, nobody would even see a comparison, save the fact that both fight robots and both are "lookin' for Earth."

That said... As has been voiced already, I don't think a reskin of FFG BSG remotely fits the old show, any more than a reskin of FFG BSG would fit Star Wars.

To me, old BSG, at least from a nuts-n-bolts game standpoint, is about resource management, risk mitigation, cultural differences, and combat.

If I was going to design a game based on old BSG, I would make it a something with these elements:

Co-op (Galactica) vs. Overlord (Cylons and other elements like FIRE! and Ovions)

Resources management (solon, food, scrap useage, etc.) and trading mechanics

Light worker placement

Combat mechanic (could be light like Eclipse, or heavier with actual tactical elements (like Titan?)

Exploration/Hex movement... Endgame triggered by finding Earth.You want to be in a position of locating Earth while having mitigated enough Cylon agro so you don't destroy Earth once you find it.

Mix in other fun random things like Pegasus, artifacts, etc.

The key, IMO would be not making ANY of these elements super heavy.

I'd also look towards other original BSG sources for inspiration - The (great) Marvel comics run and the novels. Don't be afraid to take where the original series WANTED to go, but couldn't due to budget restraints... for example, instead of constantly (and inexplicably) running into pockets of humans on perfectly good worlds, the Galactica must interact (trade?) with alien cultures, some semi-hostile to humans (like Ovions).

The problem with the overlord for me would be that I would have no way to playtest it. Typically I either play solitaires or 2 players. I'm not sure what the Cylon player board would look like but that is an interesting idea.

The number of turns tends to dictate the game length. Are you thinking of some shuffle rules for the tiles so that you know it will be a while but not exactly when Earth comes up? And presumably maybe Kobol too. Plus, an actual Cylon player would almost want to see the board (rather than building it on the fly) from the start so he could try to plan his force projection.

Not quite sure what to do with the combat mechanic. Normally I'd be trying to do a combat game, but here the combat is important in so much as it dictates what damage the fleet takes to it's ships and Vipers, but I wouldn't want to make it the center of the game. So some kind of fast, streamlined combat I agree is preferable. Presumably something that produces the right amount of threat, something that rewards good decisions of where to place the Vipers, something that allows the player(s) to take risks on what kind of defense to leave the fleet, and so on.

We don't realize how many moving parts games have when we're just playing them, how hard it all is to balance. Part of this "design exercise/discussion" is to learn a little about that. Plus of course even if I did try to make a game, since I wouldn't have the IP, there would be no real future for it. Sure would like to play it though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Etkin
United States
Gloversville
New York
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
biddi biddi biddi
mbmbmbmbmb
carbon_dragon wrote:

The problem with the overlord for me would be that I would have no way to playtest it. Typically I either play solitaires or 2 players. I'm not sure what the Cylon player board would look like but that is an interesting idea.

Indeed. And I say this without sarcasm - welcome to the BIGGEST game design problem out there... finding people to repeatedly test your damn designs. Lack of testers is, by far, my biggest obstacle, and I've had a number of things go nowhere almost entirely due to a lack of players to bounce changes off of.

But - regarding your specific problem, if I were doing this as I envisioned (and really, I'm not trying to convince you there), you'd be perfectly fine playing the game 1 vs. 1 with one player as the "team" and the other as the "overlord."

carbon_dragon wrote:
The number of turns tends to dictate the game length. Are you thinking of some shuffle rules for the tiles so that you know it will be a while but not exactly when Earth comes up? And presumably maybe Kobol too. Plus, an actual Cylon player would almost want to see the board (rather than building it on the fly) from the start so he could try to plan his force projection.

I'd probably make it some sort of event deck type of mechanic, with the "Earth" event intentionally placed in the last quarter of the deck... so you know it'll come up in, say, 10 turns, but not before turn 8.

carbon_dragon wrote:
Not quite sure what to do with the combat mechanic. Normally I'd be trying to do a combat game, but here the combat is important in so much as it dictates what damage the fleet takes to it's ships and Vipers, but I wouldn't want to make it the center of the game. So some kind of fast, streamlined combat I agree is preferable. Presumably something that produces the right amount of threat, something that rewards good decisions of where to place the Vipers, something that allows the player(s) to take risks on what kind of defense to leave the fleet, and so on.

I got to thinking about this during lunch, and what you COULD do is a hybrid sort of board setup where each main ship in the fleet (let's limit it to say, 4 or 5 including the Galactica) are separate boards on the table, each with workers to allocate. Shuttles run between ships, and you have a Viper "patrol" running out "between" the boards.

At any given time, Events may require you to allocate workers and resources, shuttling them around and guarding them against pop up cylon threats. You ship resource/worker boards would be serving as both allocation trackers AND tactical positioning for the combat events. The Galactica can launch more fighters (risking worker resources and solon) to combat these threats, or you can attempt to gun down stuff by maneuvering your Battlestar appropriately.

carbon_dragon wrote:
We don't realize how many moving parts games have when we're just playing them, how hard it all is to balance. Part of this "design exercise/discussion" is to learn a little about that. Plus of course even if I did try to make a game, since I wouldn't have the IP, there would be no real future for it. Sure would like to play it though.

Right... It's a lot of junk to keep track of... if I was doing this as described, I'd be designing and testing my mechanisms independently (like an RPG) before meshing them fully in concert. So... figure out how worker allocation works, then tactical ship stuff, then shuttling, then see how the three work together before adding complexity like Events or different parts.

Regardless... There's NOTHING stopping you from designing a game EXACTLY like this, then just changing the names and getting some replacement art. Thematically it could be identical and even art-wise your stuff could be similar. Let's face it, BSG design wasn't too off tangent from Star Wars... this isn't a wholly different unique design aesthetic like, say Blake's 7, Star Trek, or Firefly.

If I had access to consistent playtesters and more time, I'd consider doing something like this myself.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Griffin
United States
Marietta
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, yes and no. If I wasn't doing BSG, I'd probably change the starting conditions some.

The civilization wouldn't be totally wiped out unexpectedly. They'd be losing a long term war and deciding they needed to send an expedition to escape the carnage. It would therefore be possible to create a well designed fleet full of motivated people and indeed DESIGNING this fleet would be part of the game. Do you go with more food ships, or more fuel ships, or more combat power?

I'm pretty sure the resulting game wouldn't just be a reskin but rather a similar but not identical game. With BSG your events are going to match what you saw on screen, at least a little.

When I was thinking about this, I started off thinking you could recruit new workers and maybe buy a few upgrades, but the upgrades happened too fast and it kind of got out of control. Then I started to wonder if you shouldn't allocate workers to generate research points (see my mockup above) which you could then spend on cards which each gave you some minor advantage. OR you could use those research tokens to increase your refining and food production capacity from scavenged bulk food. Still not sure the idea works though.

Likewise I started thinking that maybe the Vipers have a RAF 1940 sort of thing where they come in and get rearmed and so they're out of service for a turn. But that makes no sense if the turns are 1 year unless the maintenance crews are REALLY slow! But if the turns were quicker, you'd never finish the journey.

It's giving me an appreciation for how hard it is to design a complicated game which is most of the point.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Buchanan
China
Shenyang
Liaoning
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We may be missing a golden opportunity here. As much as Galactica '80 is (rightly) derided, it did generate one half-decent episode, and that's the one where we learn Starbuck's fate. I put it to you, ladies and gentlemen, that what we need here is a resource management farming game to *really* do that series justice.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Etkin
United States
Gloversville
New York
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
biddi biddi biddi
mbmbmbmbmb
oneshallstand wrote:
We may be missing a golden opportunity here. As much as Galactica '80 is (rightly) derided, it did generate one half-decent episode, and that's the one where we learn Starbuck's fate. I put it to you, ladies and gentlemen, that what we need here is a resource management farming game to *really* do that series justice.

Not to be nit-picky (ok... yes... yes, to be nit-picky) - but "The Return of Starbuck" was a "Galactica 1980" episode, and not BSG proper. It is also, IMO a bit overrated, mainly because it was the ONLY good episode of the abomination that was "Galactica 1980."

Really, old-school BSG ("OGBSG?") produced a bunch of decent episodes:

The three-part pilot
Gun on Ice Planet Zero
Living Legend (the pegasus two-parter)
That two-parter where they end up on that ancient egyptian planet, trapped with Baltar
Fire in space

That's 10 episodes, right there.

Granted, MOST of those were all in the first part of the season. The show really, REALLY started getting wonky with that ship of light stuff or those episodes where they CLEARLY had no budget and shot on the Universal Studios backlot with those old western sets.

When the show stuck to its primary conceit (wagon train by way of Star Wars), the unintentional camp was minimal and the show (especially considering the time period it was made) was pretty damn solid.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Griffin
United States
Marietta
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
There was a fan "remake" of Galactica 1980 to reimagine a last episode of the Galactica actually getting to Earth and fighting off the Cylons which was really not bad at all. I hate it when shows end and leave you hanging right (Crusade is the poster child for this -- hey everyone on Earth is going to die, show cancelled ... oh well...).

What I do think is that the remake was all about the Cylon spies in their midst and conspiracy and pretty evil protagonists (and I'm not talking about the Cylons). The whole logistics of trying to get that fleet fed and fueled and find Earth was at best a sideline that was hardly discussed.

This whole thing started for me in the idea that maybe that logistics job (with some Cylon fighting) wasn't too different from a Euro game that had you building up your farm or glass blowing business or whatever and might be a lot more interesting. Maybe THAT could be the basis for the game. Not the conspiracy of the remake, not the combat (which is also fun of course) but the logistics. Though I might not have the skill to put it all together and even if I could, I couldn't sell it unless I got some big game company to license the IP. It would be cool though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.