Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Pink Rose
United States
Milwaukie
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Before I gave it a try I wanted to know if anyone else had tried and what were your results.
It seems to me that cutting the corners makes movement easy.
I was wondering if people had experimented with not being able to cut hard corners.
Thoughts?

Loving the game, just getting started.
I've spent less than $100. We'll see how long that lasts.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexander Steinbach
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just play the game a couple of time the way it's intended. Moving diagonally is a vital rule in this game. It affects far more than just cutting corners. The rule works just fine as is, and all quests are balanced around it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dirk Meijer
Netherlands
The Hague
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We play like this:

First diagonal costs 2 movement points, second costs 1, third costs 2, etc.

2-1-2-1-2-1

This slightly overestimates the actual distance traveled (1.5 per diagonal instead of sqrt(2)) but it feels very fair.

I agree with Alexander that disallowing diagonal movement breaks the game, so definitely don't do that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Calvin Tang
United States
Santa Cruz
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
But why do you feel moving diagonally makes things too easy? I've played a few campaigns and never got that feeling, so what am I missing? Sure there were a couple of times when the OL threw up his hands and grumble about how Jain and Logan (different campaigns) can move that far on the map in one turn, but isn't that what Heroic Feats are for (frustrating the OL )

And how do you count range? Do you modify it the same way you do movement?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick R.
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
For the longest time my group had played the rules wrong (stupidity on my part) and we played it as you had proposed and it really slows movement down a lot. Quests that are balanced for either the heroes or the monsters to move to a location within a certain amount of time become unbalanced. Blocking becomes easier too. I prefer playing the rules correctly.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Graham Martin
United States
Ellicott City
MD
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
rowenc wrote:
For the longest time my group had played the rules wrong (stupidity on my part) and we played it as you had proposed and it really slows movement down a lot. Quests that are balanced for either the heroes or the monsters to move to a location within a certain amount of time become unbalanced. Blocking becomes easier too. I prefer playing the rules correctly.

^^^ This

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.