Recommend
 
 Thumb up
 Hide
18 Posts

Buffy the Vampire Slayer: The Board Game» Forums » Rules

Subject: Various Rules Questions rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ian Armstrong
Canada
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi,

Gearing up to play this for the first time, and I have some rules questions before we do.

1) Move action - The rules say "Place your character on any location." Does this mean that you can move from one location to anywhere else on the board? Or do characters have to follow the arrows to adjacent locations?

2) Do all basic / special action tokens need to be used and flipped in each round? Or can characters "pass" the remainder of their actions if they don't want to use them?

3) Baddie activation - Rules say that when a baddie activates it kills an one unprotected townie sharing it's location, if possible. If a baddie kills a townie and is now in a location w/o any townies, does it also move following the movement logic? Or has it's activation for that round already been complete when it killed the townie?

Thanks!
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Carreiro
Canada
flag msg tools
I had the same question too about the actions / special action. The wording doesn't clarify if it's mandatory or not. It doesn't feel advantageous to use the SA token when it triggers an Event and I don't need to use the extra move.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lorenzo Favilli
Switzerland
flag msg tools
1) You can move anywhere. Arrows are for baddies.

2) You must flip every action token.

3) If there are more townies in the same location of the baddie, he doesn't move. If not, he does.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tristan Whitley
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
1) Any location. The arrows are for moving of the vamps/demons.

2) Yes. As per Round Summary "play proceeds clockwise until all Action Tokens have been flipped face-down". This means that you must use your special and deal with the event card.

3) Yes. They will move after they kill if there are no townies left in their location. If you look at the example of Monster Activation (pg 19) it shows an example of this.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tristan Whitley
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
3) If there are more townies in the same location of the baddie, he doesn't move. If not, he does.


My copy hasn't arrived yet, so I'm working off the online rulebook - did this change?
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Manuel Pasi
Switzerland
Z├╝rich
flag msg tools
Ka Mate Ka Mate
badge
Ka Ora Ka Ora
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
One small thing concerning 1)

as stated above the arrows are mainly for the baddies and MotW, but there are events (at least one I know of) that can limit movement for the Scoobies in which case the arrows come into play for the players as well...
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lorenzo Favilli
Switzerland
flag msg tools
Daeuhl wrote:
Quote:
3) If there are more townies in the same location of the baddie, he doesn't move. If not, he does.


My copy hasn't arrived yet, so I'm working off the online rulebook - did this change?


What does the online rulebook say?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Larry Roachelle
United States
Arlington
TN
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Seems like the question has been answered, but to be clear about Baddie Movement pg 12. of the rules "Baddie Activation" states:

"...each Baddie that does not share a Location with a Townie or Character moves to the first possible Location in the following list..."

The Baddie will not move if it is still sharing a Location with a Townie or Character after it has already done its Activate step.

I'm going to recommend printing out the handy one page player aid I made & posted on BGG.

https://boardgamegeek.com/filepage/143571/buffy-quick-refere...

5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tristan Whitley
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Didol wrote:
Daeuhl wrote:
Quote:
3) If there are more townies in the same location of the baddie, he doesn't move. If not, he does.


My copy hasn't arrived yet, so I'm working off the online rulebook - did this change?


What does the online rulebook say?


Two parts:

(Page 12) When the Baddies activate, each Baddie Kills an unprotected Townie in its Location if possible or Wounds a Character in its Location if possible. Then, each Baddie that does not share a Location with a Townie or a Character moves

(Page 19) There are two Vampires and one Demon threatening two Townies. When Monster Activation begins, the Vampire in City Hall will Kill the Townie sharing its Location, adding it to the Apocalypse Track. Then, all of the Baddies will move. The Vampire in City Hall will move to the adjacent Townie in Sunnydale Cemetery.


Quote:
I'm going to recommend printing out the handy one page player aid I made & posted on BGG.


That was an awesome reference guide - great work!
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Armstrong
Canada
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the clarifications guys!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lorenzo Favilli
Switzerland
flag msg tools
Daeuhl wrote:
Two parts:

(Page 12) When the Baddies activate, each Baddie Kills an unprotected Townie in its Location if possible or Wounds a Character in its Location if possible. Then, each Baddie that does not share a Location with a Townie or a Character moves

(Page 19) There are two Vampires and one Demon threatening two Townies. When Monster Activation begins, the Vampire in City Hall will Kill the Townie sharing its Location, adding it to the Apocalypse Track. Then, all of the Baddies will move. The Vampire in City Hall will move to the adjacent Townie in Sunnydale Cemetery.


Then what I wrote was correct.

The vampire in city hall kills the only townie sharing his location. Then, since he is left alone, he moves.

If another monster is sharing his location with more than one unprotected townie, he kills one, then, since there are more townies sharing his location, he doesn't move.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tristan Whitley
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Didol wrote:
Daeuhl wrote:
Two parts:

(Page 12) When the Baddies activate, each Baddie Kills an unprotected Townie in its Location if possible or Wounds a Character in its Location if possible. Then, each Baddie that does not share a Location with a Townie or a Character moves

(Page 19) There are two Vampires and one Demon threatening two Townies. When Monster Activation begins, the Vampire in City Hall will Kill the Townie sharing its Location, adding it to the Apocalypse Track. Then, all of the Baddies will move. The Vampire in City Hall will move to the adjacent Townie in Sunnydale Cemetery.


Then what I wrote was correct.


I just re-read what you wrote and yes, you were right. Sorry, I completely misread your comment blush
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Chong
msg tools
So, if I wanted to waste a basic action, could I choose to move, and move my character onto the location he currently occupies. Rulebook says place your character on any location...
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Blanas
United States
Anchorage
Alaska
flag msg tools
Have a question we can't find an answer to, and taking a break from the game in progress to ask this, so fast answers are best:

How do you get new Artifacts?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eugen
Ukraine
Kiev
flag msg tools
Defenestrator wrote:
How do you get new Artifacts?


you can discard "Tomes" to draw 1 Artifact Card or use Angel's Special
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik Frederiksen
msg tools
mbmb
1) If you run out of baddies to place, what then? Then no more spawn and that's it?

2) A plot card says Vampires can't be dusted unless they are stunned first. What about all those abilities that lets you kill vampires from a far, will they simply seize to work, leaving a bunch of relics and Willow's ability useless?
Because someone has to go to the location of each and every vampire and stun them first.

We played like this: whatever way of killing we had, first hit just stunned them, regardless of wording or ability, second hit killed them. Otherwise it was completely crazy. Both my relics worthless, Willow almost worthless.

 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Who Am I?
Canada
New Brunswick
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Erik1978 wrote:
1) If you run out of baddies to place, what then? Then no more spawn and that's it?


Off the cuff, I'd say you are probably in trouble.

Rules say on page 11:
"If there are not enough Vampire, Demon, or Townie Tokens to follow one fo the instructions fo an Event Card, ignore that instruction and resolve the rest of the Event Card."

I'd say that similar behavior should apply to any enemy spawn situation?

Quote:
2) A plot card says Vampires can't be dusted unless they are stunned first. What about all those abilities that lets you kill vampires from a far, will they simply seize to work, leaving a bunch of relics and Willow's ability useless?
...


I played it straight: vampires must be stunned before being killed.

Yes, this could suck. There are no assurances that relics you control will still be useful. Willow's special power being limited to Demons is definitely not awesome. But sometimes you just have to roll with the evil punches here. Holy Water will help.

You could do some rules lawyering and say that Willow's ability is to "slay", not "dust", and so she isn't affected by that plot card. Personally, I feel like the game is already easy enough that it doesn't need that extra help; nothing wrong if you feel otherwise. (Note: The FAQ in the rulebook is pretty clear that both terms mean the same thing... but that wouldn't stop a good rules lawyer!)


Edited with corrections.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David "Davy" Ashleydale
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Erik1978 wrote:


2) A plot card says Vampires can't be dusted unless they are stunned first. What about all those abilities that lets you kill vampires from a far, will they simply cease to work, leaving a bunch of relics and Willow's ability useless?
Because someone has to go to the location of each and every vampire and stun them first.

We played like this: whatever way of killing we had, first hit just stunned them, regardless of wording or ability, second hit killed them. Otherwise it was completely crazy. Both my relics worthless, Willow almost worthless.


Work on flipping that Plot card face down so that it is no longer in effect.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.