Subject: What am I doing wrong? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Brian Ciuppa
United States
Marietta
GA
flag msg tools
I've read noting but good reviews of this game.
I must be doing something wrong.
I felt like for the first 2-3 rounds I couldn't get anything to work for me (I was playing the Romans).
Round 4 went okay.
Round 5 was terrible.

Did anyone have this experience followed by an ... oh my ... followed by playing it correctly for great fun?

Even though I didn't technically get eliminated from the game ... I felt like I was on the sidelines most of the time.

Thanks in advance!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Greig
Australia
Kelso
New South Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
its hard to say what you are doing wrong without knowing what you are actually doing,

but in general I focus on production buildings in the 1st round and then in the 2nd round I also tend to look at feature buildings (although some of these are worthwhile in round 1),

I don't generally worry much about action buildings until round 3 or so (some are useful but not all)

By round 4 you can pretty much ignore production buildings and should be focused on getting the most points out of your stuff rather than making more (again this isn't a hard and fast rule),

Round 5 use what you have on your action cards to make points and then build cheap stuff to make extra points via buildings.

Generally as Romans you can attack more than most players but its still not in your advantage to do so unless you can take out a key building in their engine, otherwise your bet to use your swords to raid your own cards (unless your low on cards in which case hit hard)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Krisztian Posch
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
The Romans is a very difficult faction to play well because most of their cards will require you to sacrifice an already built common building. I personally love them, because they require this balancing act but for instance my partner doesn't like them, even though this is her favourite game of all time. My advice would be to simply stay away from the Romans and pick another faction - she loves all the rest.
I am sorry, I know that this wasn't a strategy advice, I just wanted to point out that the Romans are not everyone's cup of tea.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Stewart
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Make sure you get your Administrators and Legions out as soon as is possible, then work to draw as many cards as possible. Don't turn 2-for-1 worker for goods trades unless you have to -- you HAVE to have cards to play later. Make deals with the statue-makers and draw, draw, draw. If you pull a common Castle or Watchtower, put a defense token on them to fend off the other players and keep drawing cards. Don't worry if the other empires pull way ahead in the early rounds -- if you can chain a bunch of Roman buildings together in the later going combined with the Administrators, you'll catch up quickly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Travis Vandenberg
Canada
flag msg tools
mb
zamoose wrote:
Make sure you get your Administrators and Legions out as soon as is possible, then work to draw as many cards as possible. Don't turn 2-for-1 worker for goods trades unless you have to -- you HAVE to have cards to play later. Make deals with the statue-makers and draw, draw, draw. If you pull a common Castle or Watchtower, put a defense token on them to fend off the other players and keep drawing cards. Don't worry if the other empires pull way ahead in the early rounds -- if you can chain a bunch of Roman buildings together in the later going combined with the Administrators, you'll catch up quickly.

This is excellent advice. In addition to it, I often try to draft the cheapest common buildings possible as you don't want to spend 3 wood on a building that you're going to replace right away with a faction building. If you can't get cheap ones, get ones with good raze value and use those resources to build the better buildings. Card draw is the number one thing in this game in my experience so make deals with buildings that let you draw cards and trade your people for cards regularly. Administrations and Headquarters give you an insane resource engine so try to get them down early. One thing you may have missed out on in the rules is that you get the benefit of 1 gold or VP from Administration and Headquarters right when you play the Administrations and Headquarters themselves. That could have slowed you down, costing you up to 5 gold in total. Things like Sculptor's Workshop and Gladiator's School will cost you people that you need to pick up cards so don't focus on those.

I've probably played this game 8-10 times with friends and 20 or so times by myself. Nearly every game I play, I build 25 or more faction locations regardless of how miserable my starts may be. Now I play with the "Why Can't We Be Friends" expansion which provides a few more cards to choose from when drafting (for instance, a card that gives you a worker every time you build a faction building - very nice!), but it should be possible for you to get through at least 20 of your cards if you're playing the rules properly and are picking your cards well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Wolfe
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
When I first started playing, my scores were tiny, barely reaching 30. It took a few plays, but my scores gradually increased. Don't forget to utilize all of the moves. When you first start, you are setting up your resource engines with Production cards. As the game progresses, you try to set up point engines with Action cards.

Things to remember:
Don't forget all of the moves available to you. You don't just Build locations. You can Raze cards and Make Deals, too.

Building order helps. Build a chain of cheap Productions first to generate resources, so you have resources left and foundations to build more expensive locations.

If a card isn't worth building, Raze it into useful resources.

If you aren't drawing the Productions you need, Make a Deal with one of your Faction cards. It only costs 1 Food. This is an easy starting strategy when playing Egyptians since most of their Deals produce Gold.

Don't forget that the Common action for every Faction allows you to draw cards.

Card draws are great. The more cards you draw, the more options you have. Also, you can't build more locations if they are sitting in your deck. It is always useful to have at least a couple locations or deals to get you more card draws cheaply.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.