Saltlands» Forums » Rules

Subject: Rules questions rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Julius Alexander
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
Okay, so I am playing a coop solo, basically I am playing two chars to get a feel for the game. I need rules help.

1> People talk about raiders killing you being super hard. I don't see it, your starting items include zero armor and if I got the starting placement right you are on the starting tile and you place the initial raiders surrounding you. Only the little girl (to my understanding) has the means to get far enough away to be untouched by -any- raider on her first action. Naturally you wouldn't activate the raider that would kill you in the first turn (because you havn't picked up armor yet) If you're in competitive mode I honestly don't see how you do it because a smart player will always try to get you raider killed.
1.a> Am I setting it up right? Is the starting tile supposed to have a raider in every corner (you know like the rule book says and depicts?)
1.b> Is one damage fatal if you don't have armor, healing or a crew to discard on the first turn (which not everyone starts with).

2> Tokens make no sense to me. The understanding I get is you refresh tokens after you search an area, but if you get a crew they for instance start un-exhausted, so you could just search the same place a second time? Intended? Seems like a cheap way to acquire gear really fast. And if you're are able to repeatedly search the same spot (or frankly if tokens replenish period) what is the incentive to explore at all?

3> The hand thing, are you supposed to cover up hands for crew? Ie a crew member actually reduces your hand size by three? It's unclear.

4> The guide that shows you how to set up the game is in the manual you need to be reading in order to set up the game, this should be a separate print out so you can refer to it while going through the game set up pages.

5> Which deck am I drawing from? Sometimes it says specifically supply, sometimes mirage, sometimes a specific card and doesn't tell you which deck. I feel like this is something that should of been clear.

6> When you explore new tiles are you supposed to populate it with tokens from the start or the regular token pile?

I edited down my message a bit to be less whiny since the help I got on this thread was really helpful.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Aceto
United States
Fairfax
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Holy f the rules are so hard to follow
I'll take a stab at some of these.

1> Since the wind will always start at 4, that gives you the potential to move 8 hexes in your turn. That should be enough to get you beyond the reach of raiders, especially if you put some dune hexes between you and them. Also, how many raiders you start with depends on the chart on page 4. Playing coop with two players, there should have been 4 raider vehicles (speedster, pickup, truck and bulldozer).

2> I'm not sure where you are getting the sense that tokens are refreshed after you search. You do place new tokens when a tile is explored and flipped, but my understanding is that once tokens are taken from the tile they are gone and not replaced.

3> Page 12: "Cards with a grey or blue header - such as Vehicles, Crew and other useful cards - are Cargo Items and always placed on the player met...A Cargo Item's Hand Limit symbol supersedes the hand limit bonus on the Cargo Slot indicated on the player mat." The example on page 12 shows this as well, with a graphic showing the crew member covering up the slot on the Ploughman's mat.

5> Can you give an example of where it is not clear which deck to draw from? In looking through the various actions that would result in a card draw, I don't see anything where it is not clear which deck to use.

6> You shouldn't have any "start" tokens left after the initial placement, per the Tokens paragraph on page 7. So the only ones left to populate a new tile would be the non-start ones.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julius Alexander
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
Re: Holy f the rules are so hard to follow
Thanks.

That helps a lot.

Okay the only thing I am still not clear on is then the deck. So when you draw for token rewards, the rules say a loot drop is from the mirage deck. The other types, victory, crew.. Is that from supply?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drozdy András
Hungary
Budapest
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
@Zouave Thanks for the answers! I believe all are correct.
A few additions:

3> Yes, if you have more crew on board there is less space for other stuff.

4> Thanks for the feedback.

5> You can either draw from the Mirage Deck or the Raider Deck as shown on the symbol.
However when you gain cards for example a vehicle, take it from the supply. (If the supply has ran out, take it from the discard pile, if it is not in the discard pile, search the mirage deck (then shuffle it).)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julius Alexander
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
The spawning location of the bulldozer really limits your starting options for where you can go (without getting hurt) I wish that were different.

Another rule question.

Cargo and vehicles and crew. Can they be passively in your hand or do they have to go on your character sheet? Can they be held onto until the end of the turn then discarded?

This is unclear. I assume you must place them on your mat or discard them at turn end, but this might not be the intention.

Please clarify

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drozdy András
Hungary
Budapest
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
UnderSeven wrote:
]he spawning location of the bulldozer really limits your starting options for where you can go (without getting hurt) I wish that were different.

If you are playing a 2 player coop, the first player could move to a safe place then activate the bulldozer at the end of his turn. The second player would be safe from the bulldozer on his first turn. Or you could even pick up a crew and then just suffer through the first turn bulldozer attack. There are quite a few options. Do feel the landsail movement rules are clear to you?

UnderSeven wrote:
Can they be passively in your hand or do they have to go on your character sheet?

You are supposed to place them on your player mat right away.

Also don't forget: always check your hand limit:
- before moving and
- at the end of your turn.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.