Popular Tags: [View All]
Dan Romano
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We ran into a question during one of our train advisors end game step that I couldn't find an answer to. The rules state:

Each player chooses a Retired Advisor to train one advisor they control with a new or better expertise.

So, I have an advisor with explore +1, explore +3, and one empty slot. Could I put an explore +2 sticker in the slot, even though they aren't technically adding a "better" expertise since they all ready had explore +3?

Or is "better" expertise considered being better because their new cumulative explore is now 6 instead of 4?

Or am I reading too much into the wording of "new or better expertise" and should just stick any sticker into an empty slot?

*edited for bad math

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Rochelle
United States
Huntsville
Alabama
flag msg tools
9 92 33 JOFA
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Any type of sticker into an open slot, regardless of what the advisor already has or does not have, whether printed or stickered.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin McPartland
United States
Jessup
Maryland
flag msg tools
designer
Oliver Hazard Perry leader counter from Amateurs, To Arms! by Clash of Arms Games.
badge
Warrior Band counter for Conquest of Paradise by GMT Games.
mbmbmbmbmb
Fullynice wrote:
I have an advisor with explore +1, explore +3, and one empty slot. Could I put an explore +2 sticker in the slot, even though they aren't technically adding a "better" expertise

The advisor now has a total of Explore +4 when you use him. If you add the +2 sticker to him, he will have a value of Explore +6.

How is that not "better"?

Kevin
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Romano
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
KMcPartland wrote:
Fullynice wrote:
I have an advisor with explore +1, explore +3, and one empty slot. Could I put an explore +2 sticker in the slot, even though they aren't technically adding a "better" expertise

The advisor now has a total of Explore +4 when you use him. If you add the +2 sticker to him, he will have a value of Explore +6.

How is that not "better"?

Kevin

The argument was in taking the skill individually (which is how it being applied at the time), learning explore +2 is not better than explore +3 (a previously learned skill). Yes, like I pointed out, I understand that in a cumulative sense it is better. But I didn't know if the designer had wanted to limit certain skill sets, so when adding a sticker with a high amount you couldn't go backwards and would have to add a different skill set.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Throknor
United States
Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We read it that they are being trained. They will either end up having learned a "new" skill, which is one they did not have before, or they end up "better" at a skill they already had. They might have phrased it better but I doubt they meant any skill added had to be literally better than what they already had. If they did then there would be some who would never be improved at what they already do as they start at as good as what training would give them in a skill.

I confused myself with that last statement. My point is some would never improve beyond +3 because all bonuses are 1,2 or 3.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Becq
United States
Cerritos
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You can either add a sticker that increases a bonus the advisor already has, or you can add a sticker that adds a new bonus. Any (matching) bonuses are cumulative. (But you can only use the uppermost available sticker on the chosen retired advisor card, early improvements tend to be smaller than later improvements.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.