Subject: Rules questions rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Veljko Dobrijevic
Croatia
Split
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
1. Does the value 1 treasure token placed during setup on each civilization count towards the number of treasures the first digger can dig up ?
Let's say the digger is allowed to take 5 treasures (tokens that is, which may be just dirt) for his knowledge points and time spent, does he take the 1 from the map + 4 more from the bag, or 1 from the map + 5 more from the bag ?
2. Do assistants and local rumours (the whispering natives card) count as special knowledge for determining who has the most special knowledge for each civilization at the end of the game ?
3. Is the 4-player game limited to 2 years of game time just to shorten playing time (which would obviously be longer with more players) or is there an in-game reason ? What would happen if 4 players played for 3 years, would there be any kind of clash ?
I'm asking this because so far I've played twice with 4 players and both times there was a lot left not done, a lot of treasures undiscovered (some civilizations barely stratched), and none or almost none exhibitions held ?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A Frag
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
1. No, first visitor gets it for free
2. No, only your book cards and book tokens dug up from various sites.
3. In a two player game , only 2 players are raiding the sites. Going longer would mean uninteresting digs where each player is looking for the final 1 or 2 artifacts.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Brosius
United States
Needham Heights
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
My favorite 18xx game for six players is two games of 1846 with three players each.
mbmbmbmbmb
Enkidu_of_Abydos wrote:
2. Do assistants and local rumours (the whispering natives card) count as special knowledge for determining who has the most special knowledge for each civilization at the end of the game ?

I agree with the answers in the previous response, but I'll add that if you want to be famous for being the most knowledgeable about an area, you're probably going to conceal the fact that you had any graduate assistants to help you!

Quote:
3. Is the 4-player game limited to 2 years of game time just to shorten playing time (which would obviously be longer with more players) or is there an in-game reason ? What would happen if 4 players played for 3 years, would there be any kind of clash ?
I'm asking this because so far I've played twice with 4 players and both times there was a lot left not done, a lot of treasures undiscovered (some civilizations barely stratched), and none or almost none exhibitions held ?

Perhaps your group is being somewhat inefficient. When we play, most of the treasures are out of the bag by the end of 2 years when playing with 4 players (and there aren't that many cards left, either.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Veljko Dobrijevic
Croatia
Split
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
afrag wrote:
1. No, first visitor gets it for free

You mean the first person who performs an excavation there gets that token in addition to the ones he's otherwise entitled to ?
Can you tell me where in the rulebook that's written, because I remember reading something like that but now I can't find it ?

afrag wrote:
2. No, only your book cards and book tokens dug up from various sites.

I see, that seems more logical to me as well. But do you have any official rule in the rulebook to back up that claim, because I read in the section about end game scoring that "the player with most special knowledge about a certain civilization gets 5 points, and it doesn't specify the sources of that special knowledge, and assistants and local gossip also give special knowledge ?

afrag wrote:
3. In a two player game , only 2 players are raiding the sites. Going longer would mean uninteresting digs where each player is looking for the final 1 or 2 artifacts.

Maybe my group was inneficient or unlucky, because only 1 cilization was almost completely dug up by the end of the 2 years, 2 were only partly dug up and 2 were barely scratched... And no exhibitions held... Although one player did claim 7 conferences...
Would it be possible to run out of cards if all 4 players were buying cards like crazy ? What would one do in that situation ?
And what do you do with the discarded cards ? Do you shuffle them back in when the first deck runs out ?

Eric Brosius wrote:
I agree with the answers in the previous response, but I'll add that if you want to be famous for being the most knowledgeable about an area, you're probably going to conceal the fact that you had any graduate assistants to help you!

LOL !
True, true...

Eric Brosius wrote:
Perhaps your group is being somewhat inefficient. When we play, most of the treasures are out of the bag by the end of 2 years when playing with 4 players (and there aren't that many cards left, either.)

Possible, we're all noobs at the game... Plus me and another girl were horribly unlucky in digging up treasure (I dug up 14 tokens at two different untouched sites and only got 2 value 1 treasures, she sometimes drew 9-10 tokens and got only mud)...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony C
United States
Apex
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
One minor variant I've played with that helps your last point is that in every dig, one dirt token remains out instead of being returned to the bag.
It's unthematic - in fact, it goes against the theme, because it makes sense that after a few finds, it's harder to find good stuff - but I implemented it to make the game more fun and to stop my son from laughing at me when I pull 12 tokens out (over 2 digs) and get nothing but dirt. You know, just in case that theoretically happened.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Brosius
United States
Needham Heights
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
My favorite 18xx game for six players is two games of 1846 with three players each.
mbmbmbmbmb
dtcarson wrote:
to stop my son from laughing at me when I pull 12 tokens out (over 2 digs) and get nothing but dirt. You know, just in case that theoretically happened.

I view it as a plus that my kids would laugh at me sometimes when we were playing a game:

RoboRally with the family

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Blum
United States
Wilmington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
Enkidu_of_Abydos wrote:
You mean the first person who performs an excavation there gets that token in addition to the ones he's otherwise entitled to ? Can you tell me where in the rulebook that's written, because I remember reading something like that but now I can't find it ?

Page 7:
Quote:
Bonus for the first excavation in an area
The first player to excavate in an area gets the token (value 1) that was placed on the game board for that area during preparation.

Enkidu_of_Abydos wrote:
I see, that seems more logical to me as well. But do you have any official rule in the rulebook to back up that claim, because I read in the section about end game scoring that "the player with most special knowledge about a certain civilization gets 5 points, and it doesn't specify the sources of that special knowledge, and assistants and local gossip also give special knowledge ?

Page 8:
Quote:
Note: when determining the most special knowledge in each area, assistants, rumors, and cards with general knowledge are not counted.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.