Tony
United States
Tempe
Arizona
flag msg tools
May the Force be with you.
badge
Good and evil; there never is one without the other.
mbmbmbmbmb
I just saw there were 190 early birds left ($70 for the termination tier as far as I can tell). So, I decided to snag one for now.

I've skimmed through everything on the KS page, and have read a bunch of the BGG forum entries.

I'm having trouble assessing the quality of game play (and why does the T-200 model look so happy?).

Can people who have been following for a while or have a better understanding chime in about game play? What do you like best? What are you worried about? What other games is it similar to?

I love the theme, but if the components and especially the game itself aren't great, I'm not sure I can keep my pledge. Would love people's thought before deciding.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacob Williams
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm backing mostly on theme alone. Arnold is my role model and inspiration. I do like the game play that I saw in the initial video, and the components look cool.

This could very well suck, but I'm willing to give it a flier.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Diego Soares de Lima
Brazil
flag msg tools
This links can help you (if you didn't check then yet)

https://vimeo.com/207862658

http://terminatorboardgame.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/03/Ru...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Eiu7pnxlNMk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dQw4w9WgXcQ

The game seems cool to me, and the double board mechanism is an innovation, but it's true that I wouldn't buy this if wasn't the Terminator theme.

I also hoping that ameritrash's experienced players give their opinions about the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik Stonemark
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello,
Here is some of my thoughts on this game and KS campaign.
I am a backer and have no affiliation with Space Goat Production or Lynnvander designs.
Initially, I had the same questions and doubts, but to be honest, a lot of it is(in the world of Kick Starter, so 2 weeks ago).
Yes, I felt, again to be quite honest, that the p'n'p that was out early was a mess. But just the basic idea and core concept of this game intriqued me. The idea that what happens on one board(1984) can positively or adversely affect what happens on the other board(2029) is while not entirely unique, still a rarity.
The closest game I've heard mentioned when looking for a similar multi-board relationship dynamic is Star Wars:The Queen's Gambit. Not entirely the same but the closest in terms of effecting other boards in real time.
In terms of rules, mechanics, dynamics and gameplay, a lot has been clarified(the pnp was straight up a very rough demo that did not have all the components or cards necessary for a full complete view of play).
Please check out the KS mainpage again. They streamlined the page, made the pledges and stretch goals and add-ons easier to access, and have a updated rules link, and mechanics explanations in relation to certain units/packs/expansions.
Yesterday, they posted a new vid in the updates section that is awesome! It goes through some gameplay, and shows the components and graphics that are very, very good.
Great deals to be had also!
The core game(everything you need to play the game)is $60.00.
Core plus termination box(lots of extras included) $80.00
Early bird for both boxes $70.00 with all stretch goals that come in both boxes.(as for why so many early birds are out there yet- 2 reasons. 1st some people left and went over to CMON's Rising Sun, which I also did, but I still stuck with terminator. Some people's budgets just can't take on too many games. 2nd a lot of folks jumped to a new tier when released. Core game + termination box + Evil Dead 2 core game + Evil Dead 2 expansion +plus all stretch goals for terminator-$150.00 perhaps the best deal on KS right now.
That was the big reason early birds are still available, that and some people haven't switched over to the e.b's yet, they might not be paying attention to the comments section.
Over all I think this game has gone through rapid yet well orchestrated growth, and I can tell you that the SGP/Lynnvander team has serious communication and respect to the backers and have listened to a lot of our input.(not just lip service either). Refreshing in a game company on KS nowadays. Their whole design philosophy is rather refreshing to me. I can in a way be a part of the process, not just a backer that is implored to pay more to open up more stretch goals. Terminator has stretch goals and add-ons yes, but the extras are not needed for gameplay and all imho just strictly enhancements.
Check em out on KS or at terminatorgames.com
Or search for Space Goat Production, Lynnvander, or Terminator:the official boardgame.Some vids on youtube,(just remember the pnp is for rough demo only) they have facebook and twitter pages as well. Latest video is on KS Terminator:the official boardgame mainpage and vimeo.

Hope this helps.
Erik
Terminator fan and board game enthusiast!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg
Canada
Winnipeg
Manitoba
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Honestly, I backed it without even looking at the gameplay. I just like the terminator theme and the novelty of dual boards to represent the two time periods. I got the early bird so it wasn't terribly expensive.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will Baker
United States
St. Petersburg
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
A good man's steps are ordered by the Lord
mbmbmbmbmb
I backed out myself. I believe the project is premature and needs to get more playtesting in and a better prototype to show off other than PNP. Just my opinion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik Stonemark
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
They have pulled the pnp off their page. It was,admittedly, bad. But it was there to give only the most basic and rough overview of a few mechanics and dynamics. Was never meant to show entire feel, breadth, or compass of game.

New graphics, awesome components, updated rules and much better presentation, with lots of playtesting at a con like ECCC, and more on the way, I'm sure. Might be worth another look, just saying.

I understand everyone's initial worry over the pnp, but I think we are well past that now. Just my own personal opinion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Angelus Seniores
Belgium
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
i also like the theme and the miniatures; not many games offer vehicle miniatures, so these will see action not only in this game but also in other settings.

the dual board mechanism is definitely intriguing and dont underestimate the chance of the gameplay design to improve before its final production.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jake Rose
United States
Linden
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I backed hoping the vehicle miniatures would be in scale with the other figures. Looks like that will not be the case, so I'll likely back out before it ends.

Game play looks very under developed, they don't seem to have a handle on how the expansions will integrate and effect play balance, lots of concepts without solid mechanisms backing them up. That initially doesn't bother me too much because I have the Warlord/Dark Horse Terminator minis game I like a lot, and saw this as a way to augment my forces for that, but if the figures don't work for me AND the game play is not there yet, my motivation to stay in diminishes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
░░▒▓███ ███▓▒░░
United States
Marquette
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I initially backed it because it was a smooth 70 dollars. But then they just kept adding expansions, which tells me they don't actually have a solid core game on their hands, just a pretty license with a novel mechanic. Now my pledge is up to 200 dollars and that's silly. So I've been considering dropping it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scottie Mick
Canada
Dorval
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I backed on day 1 since I'm a fan of the film. I played the then-available PnP, and was admittedly frustrated with it. While there was clearly potential for a GREAT game, the rules were unclear on how to treat lots of situations and the experience was muddled because of it. There were also very limited components in the PnP (way less cards than final product), so I didn't get to experience all the possible gameplay elements (such as time ripples), which made me feel that the game wasn't close to being finished.

Well, the PnP was clearly a bad example because the devs have shown that the game is MUCH more advanced, and deep, than the PnP lead me to believe. They clarified the rulebook, and it actually did answer ALL my questions. I was relieved to find out the game was designed better than I thought.

I still had a few concerns regarding gameplay, such as how 2029 could be ignored a lot, and how slow the Terminator was ... well guess what? They heard me/us, and other playtesters at ECCC, and immediately threw in new rules that skyrocketed the game to the top of my want list.

Here's a brief list of some HUGE changes that make the game seem MUCH more exciting (and unique):

https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1742238/exciting-gameplay-c...

Keep in mind, those new rules aren't in the current rulebook yet since they're still in testing, but sounds like they'll keep them, which is great because they really fix the last problems I had with the gameplay. They force you to play both boards, pushing your luck on one in order to really maximize your turns on the other. The game is a lot deeper than I thought, and offers lots of strategic options and gameplay.

If they don't add anything more until release, I'll be super happy with a game that plays using these new rules. But, knowing the devs and their passion, and their skill, I know even MORE interesting mechanics/rules will be thrown in before release. So it'll be even better!

Seeing how quicky the devs remedied things and essentially fixed every one of my issues with the game has proved to me they are not only dedicated to making the game shine, they are clearly CAPABLE of doing so. I am now fully confident that this product will be fantastic.

That's the first, major reason I'm backing.

The second: I do not own any other game like this, and short of the impossible-to-buy Queen's Gambit, I cannot think of another title that offers such unique gameplay. I therefore cannot wait to have it in my collection and at the table. I think we're all guilty of buying too many games that are the same as others we already own, so this clearly unique product is totally worth "the gamble" if it ends up being half as cool as it currently is.

I can appreciate that some want a "sure thing" and use Kickstarter like a store (hell, I've done it), but I think we all forgot the true purpose of Kickstarter: helping people make products come to life by working together.

I can understand that newcomers to the campaign might not see the evolution the game went through if they just look at the basic material that's been there for a while, but trust that SGP and Lynnvander have proven to us who have been around since day 1 that they're much farther along with this game than you'd expect, and that they're 100% dedicated to working with US, the backers, to release the game we want at the end.

Oh and as for the whole "Well I have to buy all the add-ons to make this game worth it"; I disagree. I'm a die hard Terminator fan, and I'm only getting the Dogs of War pack and the System Upgrade pack. I don't need the car chase thing because when you play the game, you'll see it's already one giant chase scene. I don't need the Enemy of my Enemy pack, because I have no interest in the Dark Horse comic. I don't need the Tunnel Vision pack because I don't really care about having "hidden movement"; that's not the game I want to play.

Also, they' pretty much said that at this point, the add-on's are NOT meant to be combined. They're meant to be played one at a time. If these were TRULY missing pieces to the puzzle, they would be designed to be played all together. Not the case here. The base game is deep and strategic enough that you don't need any add-ons; I'm just getting System Upgrade because I like the idea of upgrading my characters (again, not really needed in the game as designed) and I want the dogs just because they're in the movie lol

I really hope I'm not coming off as a shill here; I'm truly just a fan and board gamer. But I feel too many folks dismissed this project because of the same reasons I almost did. I stuck around to see if the devs could prove I was wrong... and they did.

If you skipped this, I recommend you reconsider and talk to backers in the comments. Ask specific gameplay questions, etc. You'll see that it's worth it

I'm not the devs, but if you have specific questions about gameplay elements or concerns, I can try to answer!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Allambee House
Singapore
flag msg tools
I'm backing this game because what is there not to love about the Terminator?

Gameplay-wise, the two dual system is an interesting concept. I like to see more battle and skirmishes take place on the 2029 board if possible, but man, it's difficult to multi-task and play two boards at once if one is Skynet.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Reed Dawley
United States
Delmar
New York
flag msg tools
Playing more games is better!
badge
Collecting games is not playing games!
mbmbmbmbmb
Theme and miniatures. I picked up two boxes of terminator genisys wargame on clearance and the miniatures will fill that out nicely. It is like a twofer.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Chou
Taiwan
flag msg tools
I am not backing this game, because the entire campaign looks unprofessional from the PnP to the errors in the rulebook. With so many add-ons, this game is clearly a feeble attempt to get backers to add-on necessary money when the core game issues persist.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David McGonigle
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
The Vehicles can't be to scale, because if they were -they'd be half the size of one of the boards, and completely useless for the gameplay they are designed for.
I understand folks collecting mini's for use in other games etc bit it's a bit silly to expect this. Why would creators offer something that's useless for the game they are designing? LOL

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jake Rose
United States
Linden
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
BoardOfTheRings wrote:
The Vehicles can't be to scale, because if they were -they'd be half the size of one of the boards, and completely useless for the gameplay they are designed for.
I understand folks collecting mini's for use in other games etc bit it's a bit silly to expect this. Why would creators offer something that's useless for the game they are designing? LOL

LOL, exactly. Why would a creator offer something that has no use in the game, like oversized 54mm player tokens. LOL.

Oh wait...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David McGonigle
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Oh wait, looks like 54mm tokens are being scrapped.
LOL

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.