Matt
United States
Louisville
Mississippi
flag msg tools
I've read the rule book twice and I think I get the gist of how it's going to flow once we get going.

Any advice on teaching the three other people what to expect and how to approach the game? Or, should we just go for it?

Super pumped.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cody Jennings
United States
Louisville
Kentucky
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I would recommend playing base pandemic once or twice if you haven't done so already. That will give you an idea of the gameplay without having to worry about all the legacy nuances.

Beyond that, I would encourage you to read through the rules multiple times to ensure you aren't missing anything and you are playing correctly. I was the only one who read through the rules in my group and we have had a few mistakes (not game changers, but frustrating nonetheless). There are a lot of small things to remember so the better you know the rules, the less likely you are to miss some of the nuances.

It is a great game and a you all will have a lot of fun!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brent Mair
United States
Roy
Utah
flag msg tools
The Meeple Nation Boardgame Podcast - 30 minutes a week!
badge
BGGCon 2015 or Bust
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree that if you haven't played regular Pandemic then do so a few times.
The only other advise I'd give is to pay attention to the exposed card every time you read a card from the legacy deck.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clive Jones

Cambridgeshire, UK
msg tools
mb
I've said this in enough threads I should probably actually make it into a document I can refer people to. (-8

Dossier doors and packages are different things. Packages are always referred to as "package #"; if it doesn't say "package", it's referring to a door.

Always read legacy cards carefully and thoroughly. Each time you reach a card that says "STOP", make sure you read and understand when to continue through the deck. Don't stop except when you reach a STOP card.

When you open a dossier door, make sure to read both the back of the door you tear off and the space you reveal behind it.

Follow rules precisely. Do everything you're told to do. If you're told you can do something, you can do it. Things you're not told you can or must do, you can't.

Destroy the things you're explicitly told to destroy, but nothing else.

Keep the FAQ handy, just in case.

Enjoy!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Allen
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Read each rule, card, and sticker carefully. Then read it again!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Wise
United States
Tupelo
Mississippi
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Read, read, read!!! I hosed our first game by forgetting to put something on the board that the legacy deck card instructed to do. That first game ended up becoming a regular game of Pandemic and we had to start the campaign again from the beginning. Read until the legacy deck tells you to stop. I didn't understand something that was revealed when it was revealed. I finally gave up and just moved on to the next thing. That next think clarified what I didn't understand. Read the rules and understand them. Read the legacy deck cards and understand them. Have fun!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stu Heath
Indonesia
Surabaya
flag msg tools
badge
My YouTube channel is https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCvB0rnW5_Aq0SjMT4PKQOYg
mbmbmbmbmb
Everything that everyone else has said.
Also after we have copmpleted a month, I now tend to look at the cards referring to the next month immediately. This gives me time to absorb any new rules before the next session. I do this as i have made a fair few mistakes in the past and have reset months and replayed a number of times.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Martell
New Zealand
Lower Hutt
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Every time you think you've solved what you need to, stop and think... can we do this better. I've lost count of the number of times we've saved an outbreak or improved impending disaster just by realising we could save an action here or there and use it for another purpose.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jo D
Germany
Duisburg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
DZM2 wrote:
Read each rule, card, and sticker carefully. Then read it again!

So true. Some things are easy to miss.

Check for mistakes in the game. This thread was very helpfull for the german version.

https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1452590/deutsch-german-zent...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lando Lincoln

Joliet
Illinois
msg tools
mattm4444 wrote:
I've read the rule book twice and I think I get the gist of how it's going to flow once we get going.

Any advice on teaching the three other people what to expect and how to approach the game? Or, should we just go for it?

Super pumped.

Newbies need to play the regular game at least once to get the fear of the Epidemic cards drilled into their psyche.

My group just finished the first month. It was pretty good and we're really looking forward to month two.

Things we screwed up:

1) We read the first card in the legacy deck, but didn't read the top of the second legacy card in the deck. Dag nabbit. That was pretty important.

2) We didn't get the complete understanding of the Researcher role and we were using that role too powerfully. The Researcher is allowed to GIVE any city card to any player in any city, and any player is allowed to TAKE any city card from the Researcher while they are in any city, BUT...in order for the Researcher to GET a city card in their hand from another player in the first place, the Researcher and the player have to BE in the city in question.

So...yeah. C'est la guerre. Like the rules say, "just keep moving forward. No do-overs."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dylan Thurston
United States
Ann Arbor
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Darkangeldown wrote:
Everything that everyone else has said.
Also after we have copmpleted a month, I now tend to look at the cards referring to the next month immediately. This gives me time to absorb any new rules before the next session. I do this as i have made a fair few mistakes in the past and have reset months and replayed a number of times.
In their GDC talk that was just posted, Rob Daviau and Matt Leacock talk explicitly about the emotional difference between "End of February" and "Beginning of March"; these choices were quite deliberate, it seems.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clive Jones

Cambridgeshire, UK
msg tools
mb
Lando Lincoln wrote:
Things we screwed up:

1) We read the first card in the legacy deck, but didn't read the top of the second legacy card in the deck. Dag nabbit. That was pretty important.

A couple of days ago, I wrote:

Quote:
Each time you reach a card that says "STOP", make sure you read and understand when to continue through the deck.

Yeah, that. /-8

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Nopa
United States
Addison
Texas [TX]
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Don't forget to check the Legacy deck after every game.

Some tell you to draw cards after your first game, and some tell you to wait until after you are ready to start your game for the next month.

Sometimes you get bonuses after a game whether you win or lose.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.