Kingdom Death: Monster» Forums » General

Subject: Anyone bored with KDM? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
John Harder
Canada
flag msg tools
Just inquiring as a recent backer.

If so, how long have you played total (how long did it take)?

If not, you forsee it in the future?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexa Elvrayen

California
msg tools
I've had a hard time getting a group together consistently, most fall apart after a session or two.
I've played the first 5 years or so around 8 times, with two solo plays (that I actually did get bored with - I prefer to game with people, personally). With that information, i'm still excited to jump right back in from the start and do it all again. I think my grand total clocks out at like 30ish hours?
We had a lot of good luck on critical wounds and almost every campaign has crit-killed at least once. Good times.

Sorry if this information isn't super helpful. But hey, at least it means the first few years aren't a terrible drag after the first couple game!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
sam newman

doncaster
south yorkshire
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
i received the game january ish time 2016, played it off and on. It isnt a game you can play every now and then. Its a game you binge on for a month and then put back in its box and wait a while before doing it again. I wouldnt say i was bored with kdm at all, chances are i will play it again this year however probably not for a while. When i receive my new expansions im sure to play it again then as well.

i have well over 150 hours of kdm and i wouldnt say i was bored of it just worn out.

Im looking forward to giving gloomhaven a run through. I dont know if that game will keep my interest through its 80 hour campaign but im willing to give it a go.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Harder
Canada
flag msg tools
Informative!

Gloomhaven looks like a great step in the right direction, but from what I could tell the dungeon crawling seemed pretty straight forward.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drake Coker
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
badge
This is my tank for Combat Commander
mbmbmbmbmb
I played it for months almost exclusively. I'm not bored with it yet, but I am on a break (other things to play!). Looking forwards to picking it back up again after we finally finish our Imperial Assault campaign.

Honestly, I've hundreds of hours left to play with the currently released material.

I am also giving Gloomhaven a mixed solo-group run. Fun game for sure.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alessio Massuoli
Italy
Terni
Umbria
flag msg tools
They await the King
badge
The Snarky Sloth
mbmbmbmbmb
Can't evaluate an exact number of hours because us poor souls with children have to steal time here and there when our better offspring is asleep, but I'd say that I am at 300+, still playing regularly and especially, not bored.

I am bored of white lions and some aspects of 1.31 gameplay that make the first five LYs look the same, except for the resources distribution, but the game? Still young and fresh.

Oh, I also got Zelda botw recently, so I have graciously another pastime between kdm sessions
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Awaited King
msg tools
mbmbmb
About 150h? Not bored at all, but on a break now - to much work and so on. This is a game you play a lot or not at all.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
IA Seldon
msg tools
mb
I am not bored with it.

Burnout is a thing, so taking breaks is advisable.

Generally I play pretty heavy solo and co-op for about three months or so, and then I take a break from my solo games and just run the one a week co-ops.

It's like any game you have. If you play it exclusively every day for weeks on end, you get a little tired of it and want to play something else. So, play something else, and then when you come back the game is fresh and intriguing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
lee miller
msg tools
mb
There are so many things to do it is unreal. I recommend only reading the storylines for the rolls that you roll. That way everytime you play it, there will be something new to find. When it says roll on the table, roll first, read second and only for the result you rolled. This means for hunt events too where there may be a possible bad outcome. But the adventurer wouldn't know what was going to happen if he decided to consume a strange brew on the hunt, and you shouldn't know either.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian C
United States
Lansing
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
gorkel wrote:
Its a game you binge on for a month and then put back in its box and wait a while before doing it again.

This. I haven't let it get stale, because: I played it until I ran two successful campaigns (took about 5 attempts all told). Then I put it away and have been waiting for all that expansion material to materialize.

There's a ton of game there, but it's a heavy experience, and like Gorkel I've had to let it air out between campaigns.

Once I get some of the new stuff, I'll probably play another campaign to get my feet wet on the thing again, then probably put it away again for another few months until yet more stuff arrives.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ArtSchool
Spain
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have logged around 55 sessions already since April 2016. Each of them for an average 3-4+ hours long (175-200h played). I haven't been bored with any single aspect of the game so far. The variability is so enticing that even redoing the first years of a core game campaign over and over provides enough content and alternatives to explore that the partial knowledge of certain aspects of the game has not become a burden. I have also introduced the extra expansion here and there, but basically my experience so far has dwelved around the core game campaign.

Besides, as some fellow gamers have already said (i) KDM has quite a long setup time -If you can't have it permanently on a table and(ii) gathering the same group of people for a campaign as long as this is more often than not a challenge. I am thus carrying out some simultaneous campaigns: solo + group. And whenever one of the group members can not attend, we will continue without her/him (we grew tired of postponing sessions when 1 out of 4 was absent). We will update when he/she joins back on the following session.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drake Coker
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
badge
This is my tank for Combat Commander
mbmbmbmbmb
Shu1984 wrote:
I have logged around 55 sessions already since April 2016. Each of them for an average 3-4+ hours long (175-200h played). I haven't been bored with any single aspect of the game so far. The variability is so enticing that even redoing the first years of a core game campaign over and over provides enough content and alternatives to explore that the partial knowledge of certain aspects of the game has not become a burden. I have also introduced the extra expansion here and there, but basically my experience so far has dwelved around the core game campaign.

Besides, as some fellow gamers have already said (i) KDM has quite a long setup time -If you can't have it permanently on a table and(ii) gathering the same group of people for a campaign as long as this is more often than not a challenge. I am thus carrying out some simultaneous campaigns: solo + group. And whenever one of the group members can not attend, we will continue without her/him (we grew tired of postponing sessions when 1 out of 4 was absent). We will update when he/she joins back on the following session.

Huh, I find it to be about average setup time. From on-the-shelf to out and ready to play is about 10 minutes for me. Part of that is just good organization when putting it away. Of course it's longer if I'm switching between campaigns.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Montgomery Mullen
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
KD:M has solid replay value. My only real issue with KD:M replays is that after a few games, you start to always go for the same gear, same choices, same decisions because those are the things that keep your settlement alive and thriving. Some things, like innovations, you can only partially control, but generally speaking once you learn what's optimal you pretty much have to make a deliberate choice to NOT take it. As a result, the games can start to feel too similar.

It's a common problem with games that have a 'feat structure' (in this case expressed by gear cards, innovation cards, etc.). When you have a huge pile of choices, you come to realize that really only a handful of those choices are worth taking. It creates a false sense of variety. I'm seeing some things in 1.5 that look like they'll mix it up a bit, and expansions can certainly help inasmuch as they offer a few more optimal choices (or sometimes a lot... looking at you, Sunstalker).

I mean, you can certainly go for sub-optimal on purpose. It can be fun that way too.

I have no idea how many hours I've got on this game, but it's a lot.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Moll
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Adding in expansions changes the game quite a bir. Still haven't beaten the watcher and I've had the game since September of 2015
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Wirtz
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Probably around 200 hours at this point, and yeah, kinda' bored. Doesn't help that the 2 most recent campaigns have been variants that aren't conducive to expansion content so it's mostly been core things.

We're considering doing hero mode so we can play with fewer consequences and do faster sessions, since we just take so long figuring out optimal everything now that we're so familiar with our options.

I think there's a non-zero chance, once we're done with our current campaigns, that we'll box things up for a bit until the 1.5 core comes around.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt
United States
Shrewsbury
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm over 100 hours in and certainly not bored. At first I was obsessed with it, but now its at the point where its all I play until I finish the campaign, and then I'll put it away for a month.

KD:M is by far my favorite game, but I can't play it all the time. It is a hobby in itself though. My playtime went from a little bit of everything, to 60% KD:M and 40% everything else in my collection lol.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Italic Font
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
200-300 hours maybe?

Not bored yet, but we are happy that there is new content coming over the next few years to refresh things a bit.

In the long term? I can't see this being the only game we play forever, but I can see us shelving it for a while in between campaigns to play other things.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B K
United States
Fort Worth
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've probably got about 100 hours in the core game.

I think what has been said above by a couple different people is pretty spot on. You may learn the mechanic and what is optimum, but the real replay is in the story you create. No two settlements will be the same. No two survivors will be the same. It's the story that keeps me from getting bored.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stuart Holttum
United Kingdom
Southend on Sea
Essex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think the key thing to remember is that a campaign will run 20-25 turns, with each turn taking between 90-120 minutes. That's between around 30 to 50 hours for a campaign. For the most part, people seem to be playing campaigns in a relatively short space of time (say, 2-3 months), so you're talking about 20 hours of playing KDM every month.

Assuming that you are fitting in working, and sleeping, and all the other annoyances of modern life (families and whatnot), then thats a significant amount of free time getting eaten up with one game, over a number of weeks.

While players may well enjoy every moment of it, it IS a significant investment, both of time and of energy. Even the funnest campaign is therefore liable to see a sense of.....not quite relief, but the pleasure of relaxation. And a sense not of boredom at the thought of jumping in again straight away, but a need for a little recovery time to recharge and unwind.

Personally, I'm well overdue for starting my next campaign (currently waiting for my Duchess Kickstarter table to arrive so I can leave KDM in situ while still being able to play other games on the topper). I wouldn't want to play KDM all the time - but I confidently expect to be playing at least one campaign a year for several years, mixing and matching different expansions and following different paths.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Trewartha
Australia
flag msg tools
mbmb
I'm the type of gamer that has somewhat of a short attention span, and while I don't mind a long slow grind to build up resources sometimes I hate repeating it, especially for the same stuff.

I am getting a bit bored with some parts of the game. Particularly the first 10 or so lantern years. I am finding even with expansions that we spend 80% of the time wading through the same or similar grind in a campaign before trying much of the new stuff, and there is still a lot of the core game that I haven't tried at all just because we haven't ever had the time or resources to do it. You need a lot of patience and time to explore and get the most out of the game. For me personally, it would be a more fun balance if you built up faster but the difficulty ramped up faster as well and forced you to fight level 3's.

I also think I found the game most exciting when it felt scary. The first few times level 1 lions, antelopes etc. were genuinely scary. Now that we know what to do to deal with them, these fights become a bit dull. But jumping up to level 2 is a big step, and you rely on getting two particular innovations (for surge and dash) to be able to attempt them, and these innovations are randomly drawn which can mean a long wait. I think Nick (spiralingcadaver) said a similar thing a while ago that the most fun part was learning how to beat a new monster.

Having said all that, I still have two campaigns going at the moment and definitely enjoy the game still and want to play, read about, talk about and build/paint it. One of the things I am most looking forward to in the new KS is the first hero expansion where you can skip to LY 12 or 20.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexandre L
France
Lyon
flag msg tools
strewart wrote:

I am getting a bit bored with some parts of the game. Particularly the first 10 or so lantern years. I am finding even with expansions that we spend 80% of the time wading through the same or similar grind in a campaign before trying much of the new stuff, and there is still a lot of the core game that I haven't tried at all just because we haven't ever had the time or resources to do it. You need a lot of patience and time to explore and get the most out of the game. For me personally, it would be a more fun balance if you built up faster but the difficulty ramped up faster as well and forced you to fight level 3's.

Maybe it's a silly question because I've never played the game :

Why not "save" the state of your campaign at a given Lantern Year ? (maximum use : once or twice per campaign)
Then if you fail a few lantern years after, you don't start from scratch.

If I'm doing well, I'd hate to lose the campaign on very unlucky dice rolls and start all over.
But maybe this "punishing" aspect is part of the experience.
I guess you'd lose the sense of danger if you know you don't have to start all over.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vince De Zutter
Belgium
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
passager57 wrote:
strewart wrote:

Maybe it's a silly question because I've never played the game :

Why not "save" the state of your campaign at a given Lantern Year ? (maximum use : once or twice per campaign)
Then if you fail a few lantern years after, you don't start from scratch.

If I'm doing well, I'd hate to lose the campaign on very unlucky dice rolls and start all over.
But maybe this "punishing" aspect is part of the experience.
I guess you'd lose the sense of danger if you know you don't have to start all over.

Failing a battle doesn't (usually) mean the game is over, it just means you've lost four survivors. I think what the guy you quoted meant is that until you've done the White Lion a bunch of times in a new campaign, there's very little variance and very little choices to make. The real fun begins when you get higher up in lantern years and you can start deciding whether you want to go for a Phoenix, a strong Antilope or a really strong White Lion, depending on what gear you want to equip your characters with.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Kyo
Japan
Osaka
flag msg tools
Forward 1, Forward 2, Forward 3... siege attack 5?
badge
Why for this life there's no man smart enough, life's too short for learning every trick and bluff.
mbmbmbmbmb
Yup, bored after about 16 plays. One aborted campaign in which and friend and I learned the ropes, then a solo campaign which is going fine, but I have no motivation to continue.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Welnicki
Poland
Gdansk
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
I find that excluding some monsters makes for a great refresher. Playing with Spidicules, w/o Antilope makes things more difficult and different enough, but the really fun way to play is to exlude the White Lion completely and only go with the Gorm.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alessio Massuoli
Italy
Terni
Umbria
flag msg tools
They await the King
badge
The Snarky Sloth
mbmbmbmbmb
Mockerre wrote:
I find that excluding some monsters makes for a great refresher. Playing with Spidicules, w/o Antilope makes things more difficult and different enough, but the really fun way to play is to exlude the White Lion completely and only go with the Gorm.

This.

However, not everyone thinks like that. I personally prefer to start two consecutive campaigns different enough. One of my best sequences was a campaign Gorm/Manhunter/Lion Knight/DBK/Lion God/Lonely Tree followed by a Spidi/Slender Man/FK/DBK/Lion God/Lonely Tree, both PoLantern.
They feel A LOT different, especially if you go Cannibalize the first one, Graves the second one
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.