Popular Tags: [View All]
Bob Long
United States
Woodbridge
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok So Climate is now 100 bucks.

So, Does the Climate expansion go better with the first or second edition of Evolution?

In other words is there a component issue that I should be aware of if I buy/trade for a used first edition copy and purchase the Climate expansion

thanks
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Diener
United States
Conroe
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Evolution: Climate is a complete game, not an expansion.
It duplicates roughly 1/2 of the basic game Evolution
(albeit the duplicated cards have additional symbology unique to Climate's gameplay).

The Evolution Climate Conversion Kit set runs about $25,
includes the roughly 1/2 Unique Climate cards and the Climate board (which replaces the Watering Hole),
and is an expansion set compatible with first and second edition
(although the card stock is the same as second edition: there is a very, very slight difference).

I know you didn't ask, but Evolution: Flight is a "true" expansion,
(similair in practice to the Evolution Climate Conversion Kit ),
and is -not- compatible with Evolution: Climate.
Something to consider when looking at the two " Base Sets".

{edit}
Also, I think it's worth noting that the MSRP of Evolution: Climate is $59.99,
so the artificially high price is a temporary thing.
It is also worth mentioning that the new printing of (Edit:
incorrect information redacted by the following correction--->
domcrap wrote:
White Elk wrote:

{edit}
Also, I think it's worth noting that the MSRP.....

CLIMATE will still come with the cloth bags. The new base set will come with the food screens.

To my mind: the cloth bags are absolutely worth the effort of tracking down a current printing,
but not worth paying double the MSRP.

Hope that helps!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Long
United States
Woodbridge
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
yes meant to say the climate conversion set

so the conversion set only includes half the cards that is automatically included in the climate base game?

But the Evolution base game goes well with flight?

Also, anyone have any comments bad or good about game play with the conversion set

thanks for the info...especially about the bags.

Evolution base game seems playable on its own but seems climate adds a nuance or two.

thanks again
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Diener
United States
Conroe
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
buseyhead wrote:

so the conversion set only includes half the cards that is automatically included in the climate base game?

Conversion Kit Contents: 88 Trait Cards, 30 Event Cards, 1 Climate Track, 1 Climate Marker, 1 Player Aid.
https://www.northstargames.com/products/evolution-climate-co...

Evolution: Climate Game Contents: 177 Trait Cards, 30 Event Cards, 240 Food Tokens, 20 Species Boards, 40 Wooden Cubes, 6 Food Token Bags, 1 Climate Track, 1 Climate Marker, 1 Dino Starter Token, 1 Rule Book, 1 Player Aid.
https://www.northstargames.com/collections/strategy-games/pr...

So, yes: about 1/2 the cards.
IIRC for the Conversion kit you s substitute the 88 Trait cards for an equal amount of cards you remove from the base game.
The 30 Event cards are Unique to the nuance of Climate.

buseyhead wrote:

But the Evolution base game goes well with flight?

Exactly.

buseyhead wrote:

thanks again

No problem!
It's a great game, and I'm sure you'll be happy however you decide.

FYI:
About 1/2 of my group (including myself) prefer Climate,
1/2 prefer the Base game, and 1 guy loves Flight.
Everybody will play all versions though, so we usually rotate each session with a different version.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James R. Gracen
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I think I just found a discrepancy here... The Climate Conversion Kit only comes with 86 cards, not the 88 cards advertised on the North Star Games website (unless newer printings have two additional cards). My physical copy lists 86 trait cards on the back of the box.

White Elk wrote:
IIRC for the Conversion kit you s substitute the 88 Trait cards for an equal amount of cards you remove from the base game.

Almost. You pull out 38 cards from the base game and add in the 86 Conversion Kit cards.

Both versions of Climate contain six new Climate-specific traits not included in the base game of Evolution. The full version of Climate (Evolution: Climate) contains all 17 of the traits from the Evolution base game (four of which are updated with new features specific to Climate), plus the six new Climate traits. The Climate expansion (Climate Conversion Kit) contains the four updated base game traits (Ambush, Burrowing, Defensive Herding, and Carnivore) which you will swap out of your separately purchased base game set, as well as the six new Climate traits.

In addition, both versions of Climate include more Carnivore trait cards than the Evolution base game. This is to keep the ratio of carnivore to non-carnivore trait cards roughly the same. The two versions of Climate have 23 Carnivore trait cards. The Evolution base game has 17.

To convert Evolution (base game) to Climate using the Conversion Kit, you would do this: From the 129 base game trait cards, you will remove 38 cards which are being updated and replaced. Then you will add in the 86 cards from the Conversion Kit to arrive at the 177 cards contained in the Evolution: Climate stand-alone game. (129 - 38 + 86 = 177).

White Elk wrote:
I know you didn't ask, but Evolution: Flight is a "true" expansion, (similair in practice to the Evolution Climate Conversion Kit ), and is -not- compatible with Evolution: Climate. Something to consider when looking at the two " Base Sets".

Again, Almost. Whether you buy a base set of Evolution + The Climate Conversion Kit, or if you get the Evolution: Climate standalone game, you get basically the same thing. You can play two separate games with either set. You can play 1) The Evolution base game with either (by removing the six Climate specific trait cards), or you can play 2) Evolution + Climate (by making no changes).

Flight, being a stand-alone expansion for the base game, can absolutely be played with the base game components of the Evolution: Climate standalone game. You would just remove the six Climate-specific traits: Cooling Frills, Heavy Fur, Hibernation, Migratory, Mud Wallowing, and Nocturnal. Just disregard any Climate-related text and symbols on the upgraded Ambush, Burrowing, Defensive Herding, and Carnivore traits.

Click on the image above and look at the Burrowing card, for instance. You will notice the *sun* symbol towards the lower right edge of the card (just above the Food number in the black leaf). The sun/snowflake symbols are only used in Climate. In addition, you would ignore the text "Prevent 1 Population loss due to Heat/Cold" when playing either the base game of Evolution, or Evolution + Flight. Simple, right?

Playing all *three* games together (Evolution + Flight + Climate) is where you run into compatibility issues.

Cheers!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dominic Crapuchettes
United States
Bethesda
MD
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
North Star Games designs party games that don't suck! Play them with your non-gamer friends over the holidays.
badge
First there was Hearts, then there was Spades, and now we bring you Clubs. The suit of clubs finally gets some respect!
mbmbmbmbmb
White Elk wrote:

{edit}
Also, I think it's worth noting that the MSRP of Evolution: Climate is $59.99,
so the artificially high price is a temporary thing.
It is also worth mentioning that the new printing of Climate will have screens instead of cloth bags,
and will therefore be (IIRC) about $10 cheaper.

To my mind: the cloth bags are absolutely worth the effort of tracking down a current printing, but not worth paying double the MSRP.

CLIMATE will still come with the cloth bags. The new base set will come with the food screens.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.