Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Michael Gonzalez
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I would love to hear your recommendations for games that really leverage multi-use cards. One of my favorite games is Among the Stars and I love having to decide which of many mutually exclusive things I will do with each card.

A couple that I find very very appealing are Bruges and Mottainai. Any preferences between those or other suggestions? I have Roll for the Galaxy, so I'm probably not able to justify Race (except to trade, if Race is less bloody luck-heavy... but that's a matter for another thread).

Let me know!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Stone
United States
Astoria
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
San Juan (second edition)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Hauser
United States
Buffalo
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
One Deck Dungeon
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason
Canada
Campbell River
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Bruges is good, but can be pricey. The expansion is hard to find.

Another one to try if you like euros is La Granja.

One of my favourites: Oh My Goods!. I just ordered the expansion for it directly from Lookout. I highly recommend it as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Burt
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
The game famous for multi-use cards is Glory to Rome, and its sequel Mottainai.

My favorite games with this mechanic are La Granja and Oh My Goods!.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Eldard
United States
Burke
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mythotopia - some cards have multiple symbols, but only one can be applied on a turn.

A Study in Emerald (second edition) - cards have multiple symbols, but the player must announce which symbol (action) is being used, or alternatively, if the text on the card will be used.

Trambahn - each card can be played in one of three functions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Schema Man
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Fleet is one where the cards can be boats, coins and captains, so you are constantly trying to figure out how to optimize.

The City is a quick playing game where the cards are buildings and currency. It's only available at the moment in German, but English rules are here on BGG (and hopefully a publisher will do an English version soon because this is a fun game).

Evolution: Climate makes you keep deciding what to do with cards - trade them in for more body size, more species, more population or keep them for the traits they have? Just remember to hold onto a few for the Intelligence trait (hint - you won't remember because everybody forgets the first few times!)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Curt Carpenter
United States
Kirkland
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Any/every game by Carl Chudyk.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bernhard W
Australia
Townsville
Queensland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Have a look at this geeklist. It contains most games that have multi-use cards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Gonzalez
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Any suggestions for ones that are purely (or almost purely) card games? The Carl Chudyk games seem great, though GtR is OOP....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kate
Australia
Sydney
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Imperial Settlers or 51st State: Master Set, sort of.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kate
Australia
Sydney
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Also, I really loves Bruges, but with the (largely decorative) board and the dice, it's not at all a pure card game. Many different things to do with each card though!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Kluck
United States
Hudson
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Adventure of D blew my mind with the possibilities of what one card could represent.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Curtis
United States
Andrews
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Don't forget Pixel Tactics!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Gonzalez
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I BADLY want to try/buy Bruges, but it's out of print....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Gonzalez
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
acklevoy wrote:

I have almost bought Imperial Settlers many times, but it seems to very strongly favor the 2-player count....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David B
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's on the lighter side and there are only two options for each card (add to your painting or add to your studio) but Kanagawa is quite good.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gregg Saruwatari
United States
Arroyo Grande
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mentat1231 wrote:
I would love to hear your recommendations for games that really leverage multi-use cards. One of my favorite games is Among the Stars and I love having to decide which of many mutually exclusive things I will do with each card.

A couple that I find very very appealing are Bruges and Mottainai. Any preferences between those or other suggestions? I have Roll for the Galaxy, so I'm probably not able to justify Race (except to trade, if Race is less bloody luck-heavy... but that's a matter for another thread).

Let me know!!

Race is absolutely worth it. IMO, not only is it the best game in this thread, but the different expansion arcs offer fairly different experiences. Bruges is only if you like wooden pieces so much you are willing to sacrifice decisions for fiddliness. Just like dice in RollFTG. San Juan is literally a cripled version of Race. I love Mottainai, too, but it is so theme-less some of my friends won't play it. Fleet is good but not better than Race. Imperial settlers is decent, but I would totally trade my copy unlike my 4 copies of Race, 2 copies of Mottainai , fleet with fisheeples, Impulse, Glory to Rome, well, maybe I could trade my copy of GTR.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.