Evolution: Climate» Forums » Rules

Subject: 6 Players - Not Enough Cards? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Rob Bendig
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmb
We've played with 6 players a few times now and we always end up running out of cards during the 5th turn deal - meaning not everyone gets a turn at being first player. Is this what others are seeing as well?

With 177 cards (base deck) and dealing 4+species each turn, this means that we deal out 30 cards on the first turn but an average of 38 cards on each following turn (some people lose a species but most people move up to 3 species pretty quickly). That leaves only 32 cards on the 5th turn. The actual numbers might vary but we always run out.

Is this by design or a weird artifact of the way we play?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C&H Schmidt
Germany
Heidelberg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
When the deck runs out, this triggers the end of the game, you just finish the current round (which you probably know).
Everybody still gets dealt all the cards they are entitled to in this round, which you achieve by reshuffling the cards that were discarded in previous rounds into a new draw pile.
This way it does not matter at all how many cards were left for the last round.

Does this answer your question? (Or have I misunderstood what the issue is?)

Edit: Ah, yes, I misread your question. The question is whether everyone necessarily gets to be first player -- I don't know about that. If the deck runs out that quickly, that should just be how it is according to the rules.
Further edits: If you feel that is unfair, you could in principle continue playing with this new draw pile until every player has been first player once. But that would be a house rule.

I have only ever played base Evolution with 6 players, and there we were fine.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James R. Gracen
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I haven't played a 6-player game yet, but I don't think the endgame is necessarily supposed to be based on the number of player-turns.

Set-Up section of Rulebook wrote:
--2 Players: Remove half the cards (about 88)
--3 Players: Remove 60 cards
--4 Players: Remove 30 cards
--5 & 6 Players: Do not remove cards

I believe that the number of cards in the deck is based less on the number of player-turns, and more on dictating the actual length of time the game should last. They just simplified the 6-player rules to prevent any additional exceptions to the rules.

You could always just modify the end game trigger to suit your needs.

End of Game Scoring section of Rulebook wrote:
If the deck had to be shuffled during the Deal Cards phase, the End of Game Scoring starts at the end of that round.

Maybe, in a 6-Player game, just play one *additional* round (assuming you ran out of cards during the fifth round). I.e. don't end the game after *this* round, end after *next* round instead. This would effectively change the setup rules to...

--5 Players: Do not remove cards
--6 Players: Add 30 cards from the discard pile

...which would roughly continue the pattern of modifying the deck by 30 cards per player.

Edit: ninja
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Bendig
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmb
Yes, I realize that the game end is based upon when the deck runs out (and has nothing to do with the number of turns). My question was more around whether others find that a 6 player game pretty much always runs out of cards on the 5th turn. It just seems very odd and feels like the deck needs to be a bit larger with 6 players.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Australia
Melbourne
Victoria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes that's how it was for us when we played 6 player. Not everyone had a turn starting, but that was fine
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dominic Crapuchettes
United States
Bethesda
MD
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
North Star Games designs party games that don't suck! Play them with your non-gamer friends over the holidays.
badge
First there was Hearts, then there was Spades, and now we bring you Clubs. The suit of clubs finally gets some respect!
mbmbmbmbmb
Most 6-player games end after 5 rounds. That's normal. But since there is a strong benefit to going first (feeding first) as well as going later in the turn order (seeing what others are playing before you play), the turn order is already balanced. I'll tend to play herbivores more if I'm early in the turn order and Carnivores if I'm late in the turn order.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Bendig
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmb
In order to keep the play time reasonable, with 6 players we always play cards simultaneously - so being late in turn order is of no value and the ability to eat first becomes more significant.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff S
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Rob Bendig wrote:
In order to keep the play time reasonable, with 6 players we always play cards simultaneously - so being late in turn order is of no value and the ability to eat first becomes more significant.

Playing simultaneously with 6 players is recommended in the rulebook.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dominic Crapuchettes
United States
Bethesda
MD
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
North Star Games designs party games that don't suck! Play them with your non-gamer friends over the holidays.
badge
First there was Hearts, then there was Spades, and now we bring you Clubs. The suit of clubs finally gets some respect!
mbmbmbmbmb
That's a good point by both of you. I haven't played a whole lot of 6 player games with simultaneous play. Without simultaneous play it could drag on too long, especially with slow players. I think doing a hard stop of 6 rounds makes sense with 6-player simultaneous play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.