Popular Tags: [View All]
Tovarich Pizann
United States
Burbank
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
This is my attempt to formalize the character decks used for an ongoing campaign representing the 11 books in the Dresden Files universe covered by the game and expansions released to date. The intention is that characters should be included from left to right; thus, the last 2 characters in the list won't be seen in a 1 or 3 player game, and the last character on the list won't be seen in a 2 or 4 player game.

NOTE: This list assumes that you have the complete Kickstarter backing.

Game 1: Storm Front
- Harry, Karrin, Susan,
(Kind of at a loss what to do with the other two character slots)

Game 2: Fool Moon
- Harry, Billy & Georgia, Karrin, Susan, Molly (representing Kim Delany)

Grave Peril
- Harry, Michael, Karrin, Susan, Thomas
- use Harry's Costume card

Summer Knight
- Harry, Karrin, Billy & Georgia, Susan (representing Elaine), Ra (representing Leanansidhe)

Death Masks
- Harry, Karrin, Susan, Michael, Waldo
- use Susan's Infected cards

Blood Rights
- Harry, Thomas, Karrin, Ra (representing Kincaid), Mouse

Dead Beat
- Harry, Anastasia, Carlos, Thomas, Mouse

Proven Guilty
- Harry, Karrin, Michael, Waldo, Mouse

White Night
- Harry, Thomas, Molly, Carlos, Mouse

Small Favor
- Harry, Anastasia, Sanya, Michael, Thomas
- can use Harry's Lash's Gift card

Turn Coat
- Harry, Anastasia, Molly, Thomas, Mouse
- can use Harry's Lash's Gift card

Thoughts?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Byron Campbell
United States
Santa Clarita
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I can tell you what I have done so far solo.

Storm Front
Harry, Murphy, Susan

Fool Moon
Harry, Murphy, the Alphas

Grave Peril
Harry, Michael, Susan

Summer Knight
Harry, the Alphas, Murphy

Death Masks
Harry, Susan (infected), Michael OR Sanya

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andres Montanes-Lleras
Colombia
Bogota
flag msg tools
THERE CAN BE ONLY ONE (PLAYER)
badge
My first children's fantasy novel EL DRAGÓN DE VAPOR (illustrations by Marcos Toledo Porras)
mbmbmbmbmb
I think you made a small mistake with Summer Knight. You include Michael (who does not appear in that book) and leave Billy and Georgia out (who play a big role especially in the final battle).

I am also not sure about Ra representing Lenansidhe (or even she being a playable character at all). Perhaps it would be better to have Meryl instead?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andres Montanes-Lleras
Colombia
Bogota
flag msg tools
badge
My first children's fantasy novel EL DRAGÓN DE VAPOR (illustrations by Marcos Toledo Porras)
mbmbmbmbmb
kittenhoarder wrote:
I can tell you what I have done so far solo.

Storm Front
Harry, Murphy, Susan

Fool Moon
Harry, Murphy, the Alphas

Grave Peril
Harry, Michael, Susan

Summer Knight
Harry, the Alphas, Murphy

Death Masks
Harry, Susan (infected), Michael OR Sanya

I have only gotten to Summer Knight so far (also playing solo) and I used almost all the same teams, except for Fool Moon, where I used Harry, Murphy and Susan.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tovarich Pizann
United States
Burbank
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
montanus wrote:
I think you made a small mistake with Summer Knight. You include Michael (who does not appear in that book) and leave Billy and Georgia out (who play a big role especially in the final battle).

Excellent point. I'll update that - been a while since I read these (which I'm tempted to go back and do again. you know, in all my free time.)

Quote:
I am also not sure about Ra representing Lenansidhe (or even she being a playable character at all). Perhaps it would be better to have Meryl instead?

Leanenshidhe ultimately gets him to the table and plays a not inconsiderable role in the final battle, if I recall correctly. This is mostly that I don't really see a good analog for any of the included characters to anyone in Summer Knight. If you think Ra could stand in for Meryl that's fine I suppose.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andres Montanes-Lleras
Colombia
Bogota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
richpizor wrote:
Leanenshidhe ultimately gets him to the table and plays a not inconsiderable role in the final battle, if I recall correctly. This is mostly that I don't really see a good analog for any of the included characters to anyone in Summer Knight. If you think Ra could stand in for Meryl that's fine I suppose.

I guess my issue with Leanensidhe is that she might be too powerful to be represented by any of the heroes included in the game. Plus, like Harry, we are clearly invited to sympathize with Meryl.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tovarich Pizann
United States
Burbank
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Fair enough. What character would you recommend for Meryl? Molly?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Torsten Stelling
Germany
Hamburg
flag msg tools
badge
dasmurphy
mbmbmbmbmb
I like the idea Currently i'm watching the TV Series and hope to read some of the books to get in theme.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chuck Cooley
United States
Westminster
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

I've been working on a similar list. Good idea about making substitutions! Some comments:

In Storm Front, you could include Michael. It's not clear exactly when he and Harry met. Michael doesn't show up in the novel, but he could have if he was needed. By stretching the same logic, Sanya could be there too.

In Summer Knight, would Elaine be better represented by Carlos? I'm thinking that a fellow wizard might be a better match, but I haven't played Carlos yet. And I agree with the other poster that the Leanansidhe is never really an ally. But then we are again left with the Knights to fill out the roster.

In Death Masks, I'd make Waldo (or even Michael) the 5th character, since this is the one book is where Susan gets to show off her infected powers.

In Blood Rites, Mouse is only a puppy, so it's not really canon to have him active. Maybe Waldo as the 5th here too?

Dead Beat is Waldo's biggest role. I'd include him and leave out Anastasia, since we see her only briefly before her... incident.

In Proven Guilty, Michael was otherwise occupied so Charity had to be involved. Unless Molly appears in the Book deck, I'd use this list: Mouse, Thomas, Karrin, Molly. If we want to keep Molly out because she's still out of control, maybe Waldo again. (I'm not actually a big Waldo fan. He just keeps cropping up!)

In Small Favor, I'd include Karrin, and leave out Anastasia. Maybe put Sanya last?

Goood times! I hope someday we see actual decks for Elaine, Fix, Kincaid, and Gard.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tovarich Pizann
United States
Burbank
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
vantage wrote:

In Summer Knight, would Elaine be better represented by Carlos? I'm thinking that a fellow wizard might be a better match, but I haven't played Carlos yet. And I agree with the other poster that the Leanansidhe is never really an ally. But then we are again left with the Knights to fill out the roster.

Haven't really played Carlos yet, but that's something to consider. Hoping to get some games in with the wife this weekend, I'll make a point to try him. That I suppose would also free up Susan to stand in for Meryl.

Quote:
In Death Masks, I'd make Waldo (or even Michael) the 5th character, since this is the one book is where Susan gets to show off her infected powers.

That's a very good point, and I think Susan needs to move to third position to make sure she gets included at all player counts.

Quote:
In Blood Rites, Mouse is only a puppy, so it's not really canon to have him active. Maybe Waldo as the 5th here too?

I grappled with the same issue. I ultimately went with it because even as a puppy, Mouse was the catalyst for a lot of the action. But I do think moving him to fifth position makes sense.

Quote:
Dead Beat is Waldo's biggest role. I'd include him and leave out Anastasia, since we see her only briefly before her... incident.

I would argue that Waldo's biggest role is in a book that doesn't have a deck yet. I kind of want to include Anastasia because she doesn't get used much otherwise. How about:
- Harry, Carlos, Thomas, Waldo, Anastasia

Quote:
In Proven Guilty, Michael was otherwise occupied so Charity had to be involved. Unless Molly appears in the Book deck, I'd use this list: Mouse, Thomas, Karrin, Molly. If we want to keep Molly out because she's still out of control, maybe Waldo again. (I'm not actually a big Waldo fan. He just keeps cropping up!)

Point taken with Michael, but I'm hesitant to include Molly for the reasons you mention. But I'd be good with moving Michael to 5th position and note that he's representing Charity, and/or using Anastasia (again in 5th position) to sub for Charity.

Quote:
In Small Favor, I'd include Karrin, and leave out Anastasia. Maybe put Sanya last?

Upon contemplation I think swapping Anastasia and Karrin is the right move. I don't think Sanya last makes as much sense as Thomas last. So how about:
- Harry, Karrin, Michael, Sanya, Thomas

Quote:
Goood times! I hope someday we see actual decks for Elaine, Fix, Kincaid, and Gard.

The Kickstarter digital folder included a prototype deck for Kincaid and Mortimer, so I think it's not an unreasonable hope; I just didn't want to include it in this list because it's down to each person to build their own. A Fix deck would make sense for Cold Days, so who knows?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chuck Cooley
United States
Westminster
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I generally agree with what you've said. Here are some selected replies:

Quote:
Dead Beat: I would argue that Waldo's biggest role is in a book that doesn't have a deck yet.

Well, yeah. :-) I meant in the decks we have so far.

Quote:
I kind of want to include Anastasia because she doesn't get used much otherwise. How about:
- Harry, Carlos, Thomas, Waldo, Anastasia

I'd switch Waldo and Carlos, but that's fine.

Quote:
Proven Guilty: Point taken with Michael, but I'm hesitant to include Molly for the reasons you mention. But I'd be good with moving Michael to 5th position and note that he's representing Charity, and/or using Anastasia (again in 5th position) to sub for Charity.

Anastasia doesn't correspond with Charity very well. I'd go with Michael.

Quote:
Small Favor: I don't think Sanya last makes as much sense as Thomas last. So how about:
- Harry, Karrin, Michael, Sanya, Thomas

Sure. I'd have to re-read the book to really assess their relative roles.

Quote:
The Kickstarter digital folder included a prototype deck for Kincaid and Mortimer, so I think it's not an unreasonable hope; I just didn't want to include it in this list because it's down to each person to build their own. A Fix deck would make sense for Cold Days, so who knows?

Yeah, I saw those after I wrote this. I don't plan to print them out until I've played with the existing decks a lot more.

I put together a "Canonical Games" reference sheet before I ever saw this thread. I'd post it in the Files section, but I don't want to steal your thunder if you are planning something similar.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tovarich Pizann
United States
Burbank
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
vantage wrote:
I put together a "Canonical Games" reference sheet before I ever saw this thread. I'd post it in the Files section, but I don't want to steal your thunder if you are planning something similar.

Go for it! I was just trying to get the ball rolling.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chuck Cooley
United States
Westminster
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

As it happens, I uploaded that reference card to the files section just today. (15 downloads already!)

---------
*|\___/|* Chuck Cooley
*{.O^O.}*
*.\:|:/.* Westminster CO
*..o_o..*

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.