War of the Ring (Second Edition)» Forums » Rules

Subject: Companion corruption absorption rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Patrick Tumpane
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
So I just received my copy of the anniversary edition, which is absolutely fantastic.

I was reading the companion guide, and came across somethign I did not expect. .. a rule I was unaware of!

It says that you can eliminate (place on the board) both Hobbits to cancel two points of corruption. I was under the impression that you cannot eliminate more than one companion (except in LOME where the two Hobbits can be eliminated to cancel a hunt tile.

Can you eliminate more than one when taking a corruption hit? I feel like that could be quite helpful on the more track if say an eye worth 4 or more was.drawn
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Freedman
United States
Apex
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Only if one started (or becomes) the guide, you could use his guide ability...the 2nd hobbit then becomes the guide...and you can then use his guide ability.

It's the guide ability that lets you do it.

So technically you could prevent 4 damage:

Sacrifice Gimli: prevent 2 (Pippin now guide)
Pippin guide ability: separate and prevent 1 (Merry now guide)
Merry guide ability: separate and prevent 1
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Tumpane
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
So let's say I'm on the murder track with legolas, boromir, and gimly in the fellowship. There are 5 eyes in the hunt box and I draw an eye. Can I eliminate all three to cancel 6? What is special about the wording on the Hobbits card?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Freedman
United States
Apex
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
No you couldn't do that. It's only if a hobbit becomes the guide. I don't have the exact wording, but the hobbit guide ability lets the hobbits separate to prevent damage.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Tumpane
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
Interesting. .. that's confusing because I thought each companion's base line guide ability was to be eliminated to cancel corruption equal to their level, but the hobbits have the added added bonus of not being killed when they do so.

So you're saying them having a specific guide ability allows for them to play in succession?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kristofer Bengtsson
Sweden
Kävlinge
flag msg tools
designer
War of the Ring: Official FAQ Master! Webmaster of www.warofthering.eu Author of the War of the Ring Companion
badge
- This is My Hour!
mbmbmbmbmb
You can use the Guide's ability as soon as he becomes the Guide, hence you can string the two Hobbits' abilities together.

Basic game rules only allow you to eliminate one Companion to reduce Hunt damage but the Hobbits' special rules as Guides allow them to be Separated to reduce Hunt damage.

Guide. During the Hunt, if the Hunt damage is one
or more, separate Meriadoc from the Fellowship to reduce the Hunt
damage by one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Bauer
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Liverportlandia wrote:
I'm on the murder track

... that made me giggle laugh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Tumpane
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
Sometimes auto correct gives us gems. And for the fellowship, sometimes the murder track would be an apt name
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.