Subject: Using Candy for Terrain rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
john m
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I know that sounds silly. But, if you look at Tic-Tacs and Chiclets or something like that it looks like brick walls, sandbags, and the like. Lots of times it really cheap, especially the generic brand.

Sure it could spoil, but what if you put glue on it or seal it somehow so it doesn't rot, it would look good.

How could you keep it from rotting?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Maybe after gluing them together you could apply a thick coat of clear nail polish.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
john m
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I figure if you can seal them, maybe they'll be okay and won't degrade.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
junkers doll
msg tools
Leaping Lemmings did a fabulous job of hiding its wargame engine behind a colourful facade - but it just wasn't tasty enough.

This summer, John Poniske presents an action-packed hex-and-counter extravaganza with destructible - and edible! - terrain.

Hansel and Gretel: Return to the Witch's Cauldron

Coming soon to a P500 list near you!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wolf Hoepper
msg tools
mbmbmb
With threads like that I always wonder if some members of Monty Python are wargamers or they just try out jokes for a new reunion program laugh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Train
Canada
Victoria
British Columbia
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Don't seal it - if you take it, you eat it!

Brian
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
Germany
Würzburg
Bayern
flag msg tools
badge
mbmb
I just woke up early having one of my wargame horror dreams (sometimes I dream that I take out a game and the lid falls off and for some reason none of the counters are in baggies and everything is just lying around on the floor and *gasp* getting into contact withall sorts of nasty things). You, sir, gave me another nightmare, rotting candy eating its way through my boards...

"THEY ARE EATING IT....AND THEN THEY ARE GOING TO EAT ME...OH MY GOD!"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vic R
Spain
Tomares (Seville)
flag msg tools
badge
Pure mathematics is the world's best game. It is more absorbing than chess, more of a gamble than poker, and lasts longer than Monopoly. It's free. It can be played anywhere - Archimedes did it in a bathtub
mbmbmbmbmb
Your best bet is using new (fresh) candy each time you want to play, or recycling every other week as you cant prevent it rot by sealing it because you will need to exterilize first and that need UV rays or extreme heat.

I dont know what you plan to do, but for a few dollars you could buy lot of "terrain" and get to use it for a few days without too much effort. To invest more time and effort in sealing it and then degrading and smell in a few months could be worth it or not depending of what your trying to do.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
rob brennan
Ireland
Dublin 6W
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Here is a blog post on using rice for miniatures:
http://wardepot.blogspot.ie/search/label/FIGURES%3A%20RICE

Savory rice though :-)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Zurunkel
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Broccoli is good for trees, and a raw boneless steak would make a nice mesa. Powdered sugar for snow, powdered brown sugar for sand; white or brown flour are also good for those. I believe that early wargamers used loaves of French bread, sliced lengthwise and hollowed out to create battlefield tableaux. Hence the term, "trencherman".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin
United States
Kalamazoo
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I only buy wargames I can eat later. I prefer the SPAM counters over most other meat flavored counters though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Zurunkel
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Lunga wrote:
I only buy wargames I can eat later. I prefer the SPAM counters over most other meat flavored counters though.

The only true Legacy game is one that you eat.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
♬♪♪ ♫ ♩ ♫♫♪ ♩♬♪ ♫
Australia
MURRUMBEENA
Victoria
flag msg tools
badge
All reality is a game. Physics at its most fundamental, the very fabric of our universe, results directly from the interaction of certain fairly simple rules, and chance... (Iain Banks)
mbmbmbmbmb
In the Big Rock Candy Mountains
That's where we have our fight
The ter-rain is delicious
We use floss for line of sight...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Adkins
United States
Toledo
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I can tell you from experience that this actually works.

I took sugar cubes and layed them out on a slab of cardboard and sprayed them with gray primer. If I remember correctly it was 2 coats, a light coat and a medium second coat.

Once dry I used white glue to make a few simple wall segments. The majority were glued together to make pieces that were 2 or 3 cubes long. When setting up we took a few minutes to assemble building corners, walls, and such.

Now these are sitting in a small plastic case with the rest of my terrain and I haven't used them in some time, however, when I was quite poor it wasn't bad.

I made these in 1993 and they are still usable today. Some need touch up buts that's dead simple and fast.

Did I really use them? Hell yes we did! Hundreds of games were played using these.

Rick
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wendell
United States
Yellow Springs
Ohio
flag msg tools
Si non potes reperire Berolini in tabula, ludens essetis non WIF.
badge
Hey, get your stinking cursor off my face! I got nukes, you know.
mbmbmbmbmb
I think M&Ms would work well as convoy points in World in Flames. If you sink an enemy convoy, you get to eat it, too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eddy Sterckx
Belgium
Vilvoorde
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Marshmallows and Flammpanzers
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
Germany
Würzburg
Bayern
flag msg tools
badge
mbmb
All out U-Boat war, stomach in flames
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Heldt
United States
Harper Woods
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
Two panzer jocks in the South Seas hoping that soon they'll get lei'd--
mbmbmbmbmb
ElFluppe wrote:

I sank a couple subs last week; very satisfying--
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Heldt
United States
Harper Woods
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
Two panzer jocks in the South Seas hoping that soon they'll get lei'd--
mbmbmbmbmb
Although one could see this mode of thinking leading Hollywood toward a few remakes:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0053183/?ref_=nv_sr_2

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0093137/?ref_=nv_sr_1

And a certain Clint Eastwood film could be remade as Heartburn Ridge.

I'll stop now; I realize that many of my ideas are hard to swallow--
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Zurunkel
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
For a Few Dollars More...You Can Supersize Your Order.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wolf Hoepper
msg tools
mbmbmb
ElFluppe wrote:

Nope that was called "Operation Burning Lower Back", a proposed plan that was seriously considered but dropped after the Alamo, when Texan cooks intended to immobilize the Mexican invaders by bombarding them with hot chilly. The reason for abandoning was, that the texan side was pretty aware of the superior Mexican digestive system, so the plan became futile. And from this times the still raging contest between Texan and Mexican chilly cooks who can prepare the better chilly originates.

Lesson learned: Some wars never end, they are still raging in the kitchen.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wolf Hoepper
msg tools
mbmbmb
davepanzer wrote:
ElFluppe wrote:

I sank a couple subs last week; very satisfying--

Hopefully of the Pastrami-Jalapeno Alliance, very dangerous adversaries. Need to be devoured on sight.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Cole
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
National War College! Hooah!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ltmurnau wrote:
Don't seal it - if you take it, you eat it!

Brian

Brian's right. My mom always told me, "Only take what you can eat." Or, that may have been my Brigade Commander....I get them confused sometimes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
john m
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Lunga wrote:

I bet I could carve a tank out of that canned pork shoulder. Edit: I think I'll try it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I like board games more than most people.
United States
Northlake
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
When I die I want people to look at the condition of my games and say, "Man, he really played these alot."
mbmbmb
johnnyLikesGames wrote:
Chiclets ....looks like sandbags

How could you keep it from rotting?

We made bunkers out of mini-Chiclets for Charlie Company. Painting them seemed to do the trick for sealing - we've had them for over ten years with no issue.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.