Popular Tags: [View All]
Boots
Australia
Melbourne
Victoria
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I came to this game via Kerbal Space Program, in which I often have a set of dedicated launchers and mission profiles that I use across multiple saves.

I've played three times now and it seems to me that (like in KSP) there are already a few flexible and modular designs that will swiftly become committed to memory.

For example, the moon-and-return launcher always looks like this:

Stage 1: 3x Soyuz to Suborbital flight
Stage 2: 3x Soyuz and 1x Atlas to LEO
Stage 3: 1x Soyuz for TLI

Then you either land a probe and return with a sample (an Atlas to land, Junos to take off, and an Atlas to return), or move to a lunar orbit rendezvous mission profile (Apollo and an Atlas for return, Eagle plus five Junos to go down to the moon and back).

Oddly enough, if the Saturn is a better launch vehicle for the Apollo-style mission profile, I can't figure it out. Multiple Soyuz is cheaper!

Point is, I'm sure people have some favourite designs for certain missions. Care to share them?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rus
United States
Mountain View
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That sounds a bit expensive. Take a look at this:

https://firedrake.org/roger/le/book_of_missions.pdf

Also, take a look at this mission to land a man on the moon and back, which I think can be adapted to the sample return and is cheaper:

https://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/1496400/cheapest-man-mo...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boots
Australia
Melbourne
Victoria
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
That's super useful, thanks!

I guess I'd been too stuck trying to recreate Apollo to keep the payload under the magic 20 payload for two Saturns.

There really isn't any reason to use more than a custom and send more than one astronaut to the moon, is there.

Unless you can't research everything fast enough to beat a rival and need repairs or healing...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roger BW
United Kingdom
High Wycombe
Buckinghamshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The current edition of the Book of Missions is right here on BGG:

Book of Missions
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.