Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Scott Halvorson
United States
Lake Geneva
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The 2017 Gaming Hoopla at the Holiday Inn in Gurnee, IL is just weeks away. Here is the math trade that you have all been waiting for!

Discussion GeekList: Right here!
Trade GeekList: https://www.boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/223042/2017-gaming-ho...
Request Geeklist: https://www.boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/223044/item/5272234#i...

If you are participating in this math trade, the use of the OLWLG (Online Want List Generator) is mandatory for creating your want list(s) (please remember to tip JeffyJeff some GG for his support).

If you have never used the OLWLG before, please read this: http://boardgamegeek.com/wiki/page/OLWLG

And if you're still unsure, feel free to ask questions in this discussion thread. It's not hard... really... the core idea is that you post stuff you are willing to trade and then choose things others have listed that you'd be willing to trade each of your items for. You'll only ever give something away if you also receive something in exchange for it that you chose! And if there's nothing you want for a given title, you don't have to trade it.

Key Dates and Times

Open for posting games: now through Saturday, March 25, 10:00 PM CDT
Want list submission period: Saturday, March 25, 10:00 PM to Saturday, April 1, 10:00 PM CDT

Results will be posted shortly thereafter.

Please note that errors made by you will NOT invalidate the results. You will be expected to honor your trades even if you made a mistake, so please carefully review your wants list(s) before submitting them. You can always make changes BEFORE the end of the submission period but NOT after it.

This event is open to anyone who wants to participate, but please note that this is a no-ship event. We will be meeting up on Saturday, April 8 at noon to exchange games in a location TBD. You'll either need to be in attendance, have someone proxy (drop off and pick up) for you at the meet-up, or make your own arrangements to give/get your trade items.

Please do not delete items or sweeteners once you have listed them. You can always submit a blank want list for an entry if you've traded it away before the deadline or choose not to trade it away.

OK - some simple rules - please take a few minutes to read them:

* This is a no-ship event. All exchanges are to be made at the 2017 Gaming Hoopla as above. If you cannot attend in person, you can still participate, but you must find someone who is willing to act as your proxy at the convention (taking your games there for you and picking up your new games). If you are unable to get your games to the Con for whatever reason after participating, then this becomes a ship trade for you and it will be your responsibility to pay postage costs for both shipping your games and for others to ship games to you, but please don't let it come to that.

* Gift certificates and Geekgold (GG) are is allowed in this math trade, but arbitrage of this is not (trading a lower cash value item for a higher cash value item). DVDs, RPGs, computer games, and other relevant items of interest are all permitted, but be reasonable. If you list items nobody is interested in, then you're wasting your and everyone else's time. (In order to trade a gift certificate for a game, it counts as a direct sale, and you have to list the game in the BGG Marketplace and give BGG their 3% commission. To make this math trade easier, we will not allow trading items with direct cash value like gift certificates or gift cards or straight up cash/PayPal payments.)

* Non-game entries must be added as "Outside the Scope of BGG" (game id 23953), Miscellaneous Game Merchandise (game id 22104), or "Miscellaneous Game Accessory" (game id 5985). Please also note the use of the "alt name" tag that the OLWLG supports in order to properly view your items over there.

* If you are offering an expansion for which there is no entry in BGG (for instance expansion cards handed out at Essen) and NOT the base game, please use "Miscellaneous Game Accessory" to help avoid confusion.

* You are expected to describe, as accurately as is reasonably possible, the condition (components and box) and edition of your item in the description. If your item is not the English version or a multilingual version that includes English rules, then the supported languages MUST be explicitly disclosed in the description (copies/printouts of English rules are fine, but it must be disclosed that the game was not originally English from the manufacturer). This includes sweeteners.

* For games not brand new (in shrink), you must inventory the game's components and list anything missing. Do not assume it is complete solely because the person you obtained it from previously (assuming you obtained it used) told you it was. If a game is found to be missing pieces, then it will be the giver's responsibility to rectify that. Also, remember that just because something is "new in shrink" that doesn't mean that you shouldn't disclose any dings and dents. It might not matter to you, but it matters to some people.

* You are expected to periodically check during the item submission period, and preferably during the want list submission period, to see if anyone has commented on your entries. People often ask questions of items - most commonly because you have forgotten to state a version, language, or shipping policy - and you should check in to address such questions in a timely manner should they arise, so that everyone then has the correct information available.

This is a very easy thing to do. Just click on "My Geek," then "Contributions," and finally on "GeekList Items." You will then be able to see your items without having to find them in the trade GeekList along with any comments that people have made. You will only need to go back to the trade GeekList to make adjustments or answer questions if there were any.

You can also Subscribe to the item as you are posting it in the Geeklist. When someone posts a comment to your item, you will have a Subscription notification alerting you that someone posted a comment. You can then respond to the comment in the Geeklist for everyone to see.

Other useful information

OLWLG Metric Used: USERS-TRADING Seed=12345 Iterations=100

Want list submission

You can start creating your want lists any time after the start of the event.

Please note that it's best to work on your want lists and submit them early - you can always make changes and resubmit later. This will prevent you from being left out if you forget the deadline.

Submissions may be made at any time after the listing period has ended. If you will be unavailable during the want list submission period but still wish to participate, contact me directly and we can discuss the possibility of you submitting early.

Remember that you may have saved your want lists, but they have NOT been submitted until you press the green button in step 4 and received a confirming Geekmail.

You are not obligated to trade anything you put up for offer. If you offer a game, but see nothing that you are willing to accept for it in trade, just submit a blank want list for it. If, however, you do submit a want list for a game, then it is expected that you will honor any trade that the TradeMaximizer comes up with. You will not receive anything you did not list as acceptable for the game(s) you have offered, so it is important to check your want lists when they are posted publicly (see above dates), to correct any errors.

Please note: Sometimes real life intrudes on us unexpectedly. If I'm late posting something or responding to someone's questions, please bear with me. Running one of these can be a fair bit of work, so please be patient.

So enter lots of items and have fun!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brent Cunningham
United States
Lake Geneva
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
A good way to check in to your entries in case others have questions is to subsribe to your entries so you get a geekmail whenever someone comments.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles Boyung
United States
Brookfield
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey Scott, you linked to the 2016 request list both here and in the Geeklist header.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Halvorson
United States
Lake Geneva
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you for the heads up, Charles. I have fixed both links, and now they connect to the 2017 request list.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tina Rose
United States
Hartland
WI
flag msg tools
mb
I have a lot of 'How to Host a Murder Mystery' and was wondering if there is a way to list some of them as a 'LOT' or to make one listing but name each of the ones I have on that listing so if there is a specific one someone might like, they can see it (as opposed to making a separate listing for each one).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles Boyung
United States
Brookfield
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
twoodyrose wrote:
I have a lot of 'How to Host a Murder Mystery' and was wondering if there is a way to list some of them as a 'LOT' or to make one listing but name each of the ones I have on that listing so if there is a specific one someone might like, they can see it (as opposed to making a separate listing for each one).

Are you trying to trade them all as a single lot, or are you trying to trade each one separately? If it's the former, you can put them all in one geeklist item. If it's the latter, you have to list each one separately.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tina Rose
United States
Hartland
WI
flag msg tools
mb
How/When do we add 'sweeteners' to our offers? Do they have to be listed in our offers for trade in order to add them when we submit our wants?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles Boyung
United States
Brookfield
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
twoodyrose wrote:
How/When do we add 'sweeteners' to our offers? Do they have to be listed in our offers for trade in order to add them when we submit our wants?

You have to add the item to the geeklist item using BGG links. The sweetener needs to be listed with the item you want it included with when you list it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Rathsack
United States
Milwaukee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
OVERTEXT AHHHHHHH!!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
twoodyrose wrote:

Also, once added the two items are considered a single item (or lot) and can't be added/removed separately.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tina Rose
United States
Hartland
WI
flag msg tools
mb
Thanks for the help. Looking forward to seeing how it all works in the end .
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tina Rose
United States
Hartland
WI
flag msg tools
mb
How do you add games as a 'LOT'. I can list one, but how do I list additional games? Or can I just add their names/descriptions?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Rathsack
United States
Milwaukee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
OVERTEXT AHHHHHHH!!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
twoodyrose wrote:
How do you add games as a 'LOT'. I can list one, but how do I list additional games? Or can I just add their names/descriptions?

You would add it like this:

Like New Condition

Includes:
Mafia de Cuba: Revolución

If you include this post in your reply you can see how I got the image and item to show up.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Nadolski
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mb
I don't understand the "press green button in step 4" step. I posted on the want list and the list where I put what I'm interested in trading. But don't know How to proceed
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles Boyung
United States
Brookfield
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
zamboody wrote:
I don't understand the "press green button in step 4" step. I posted on the want list and the list where I put what I'm interested in trading. But don't know How to proceed

By want list, I'm assuming you mean the request list. If that's the case, then that doesn't actually do anything with regards to the math trade. That is just there to let other traders know what you are interested in and they can potentially list those items in the math trade if they have them.

Once you have all of your lots listed in the trade geeklist, you need to go to the Online Want List Generator (OLWLG) at http://bgg.activityclub.org/olwlg/

I think if you haven't been there before, you will need to get a link sent to you that will send you a geekmail with a link to log you in. Once there, there is a link to the Gaming Hoopla math trade, which allows you to select your wants from there.

I would go over the rest of the steps, but it doesn't look like the geeklist has been synced with the OLWLG yet, so there's nothing there to show you right now. Not sure when Scott is planning on doing that, but the final sync will happen after the submission period ends (on Friday, I believe).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Nadolski
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mb
Thanks. It is probably because it isn't synced yet that I'm having problems. I've done the olwlg but I can't add anything. This is my first math trade so I'm just a bit confused.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tina Rose
United States
Hartland
WI
flag msg tools
mb
How did I look at the list of what games I've already listed?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Halvorson
United States
Lake Geneva
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
motoyugota wrote:
I would go over the rest of the steps, but it doesn't look like the geeklist has been synced with the OLWLG yet, so there's nothing there to show you right now. Not sure when Scott is planning on doing that, but the final sync will happen after the submission period ends (on Friday, I believe).

The Geeklist has been synced. I actually did this a couple of days ago, so you should have been able to see something, but I also just did it now, and I see all 300+ games there now. I try to do this once a day or every other day. One final sync will definitely be done next Saturday night when the submission deadline arrives.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew W
United States
Milwaukee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Was wondering if anyone would be willing to proxy for me? I live in Milwaukee WI and would be willing to drop off and pick up any trades that go through at a location of the proxies choosing.

I work on Saturdays so I wouldn't be able to attend the trade in person. Any takers let me know. I only plan to post at most a handful of games if that makes a difference.

Thanks
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles Boyung
United States
Brookfield
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
drgnfli00 wrote:
Was wondering if anyone would be willing to proxy for me? I live in Milwaukee WI and would be willing to drop off and pick up any trades that go through at a location of the proxies choosing.

I work on Saturdays so I wouldn't be able to attend the trade in person. Any takers let me know. I only plan to post at most a handful of games if that makes a difference.

Thanks

I'm already proxying for at least one, for sure, so what's another one?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew W
United States
Milwaukee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
motoyugota wrote:
drgnfli00 wrote:

Thanks

Sweet. Thanks a bunch!!!

Just participated in my first math trade, the March 17 Math Trade, and I'm itching to get back into it.

I will post my trades sometime tonight and we can follow up if I succeed in getting any trades.

Thanks Again!!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J. Brinks
United States
Milwaukee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
motoyugota wrote:
drgnfli00 wrote:

Thanks

Willing to do a third?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles Boyung
United States
Brookfield
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
brinksw wrote:
motoyugota wrote:
drgnfli00 wrote:

Thanks

Willing to do a third?

Sure, why not?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Halvorson
United States
Lake Geneva
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
One hour behind schedule, but that's OK. The submission time is over, and it is now time to compose your want lists. You have exactly 7 days (minus one hour) to get this done and submitted. I will be crunching the final numbers next week Saturday night, and I will hopefully be able to produce the math trade results shortly afterwards. Remember, anything that does not get traded, you are free to enter into the Hoopla silent auction for another chance to give your unwanted games a new loving home. Also remember, any mistakes you make will not invalidate the results that are generated. So if you have any questions, any at all, please ask here in this forum. There are lots of MT veterans who will be willing to help you with whatever you need.

Let the want list submissions begin!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris SC

Madison
Wisconsin
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
My biggest suggestion to everyone is "read carefully," particularly if you are new to math trades. There are a lot of promos in this trade which can throw folks off and there are a few items like "The Big Geeky Box" which are listed in an off way (it includes the faction from that expansion, but not the box itself). Also there are still some questions out there about various versions (such as through the ages and ra), so make sure you answer people's questions if you are the owner of said games.

As Scott noted, you are expected to honor the trade even if you made a mistake...so let's all be careful and have some fun with it. Math trades...woo.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate Anderson
msg tools
Dumb question--but this is my first math trade. It's about step 3, when you select the games you want and tell the system which games of your own you are willing to trade.

When you click on multiple games from your own collection, my assumption is that you are telling the system, "I would offer any ONE of these selected games for that title" rather than "I'm trying to make a GREAT offer by offering all of these titles together." Is that right?

I didn't actually see it spelled out anywhere and didn't want a rude awakening if I found I had accidentally offered 10 of my games for 1 of someone else's.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.