6 Posts

Fields of Despair: France 1914-1918» Forums » General

Subject: How accessible is this game? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Roger Masters
United States
flag msg tools
I've been reading up on this game, and I'm very interested. But I wanted to know, from a player's perspective, how accessible is the game? As in, how complicated is it? From GMT, I really like Twilight Struggle, Labyrinth, and 1989. However, I did not like Fire in the Lake, as I thought it was too "fiddly". (I don't think Fire in the Lake is a bad game, it's just not for me). So, would someone mind giving me the low down on this game's complexity level?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam Carroll
United States
Urbana
Illinois
flag msg tools
Soli Deo Gloria!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you're comfortable with Twilight Struggle and Labyrinth, you'll do fine with Fields of Despair. The core of the game is really pretty simple - air reconnaissance with dogfighting, move blocks, artillery fire, ground fire. The production phase has a little more to remember, between eastern front, naval war, and so on, but I wouldn't call it fiddly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug DeMoss
United States
Stillwater
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My opinion is that it's a bit hard to learn from the rulebook, but once you've got it, it's fairly easy to play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Kmak
United States
Parrish
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
There are a couple of nice How To Play videos for this game now on the Geek.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roger Masters
United States
flag msg tools
Thanks guys. I really want this game. I watched the videos on here and read through the rules on GMT. This looks like a pretty awesome game. I'm a huge fan of the block games from Columbia Games. If I bought FoD, I'd almost feel like I was betraying my beloved CG! Never the less, CG doesn't have any WWI games. So, now I just need to think of a way to slip this purchase past the Mrs. (or as I call her, Household 6!). Hmm, maybe I could have it mailed to my neighbor...

Btw, how's the solitaire system in this game?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam Carroll
United States
Urbana
Illinois
flag msg tools
Soli Deo Gloria!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Wiseguy4187 wrote:
Btw, how's the solitaire system in this game?

I have to admit that I didn't like it much. I found it pretty fiddly, and it didn't feel much like facing an actual opponent. The big draw for me in this game is the bluffing, guessing, counter-bluffing aspect, and the solo system didn't give me that feeling.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.