GAF Blizzard
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I am hoping to start Scenario 1 in the next day or two with my girlfriend. She is patient and understanding to a point with cooperative games, but if something is too frustrating I'm afraid it may drive her away before we get into the story and hit our stride.

So to my question: With 2 players starting the game, how important is it to pick at least one character with "tanky" HP?

With two players, I don't want to know the OPTIMAL combinations since I want to figure some things out for myself. But, for example, the Spellweaver and Tinker have 6 and 8 HP respectively. If one of us consistently dies each scenario that would probably suck for the person involved, even though you still gain experience/perks/loot/rewards if you're exhausted.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marcus S
Canada
Calgary
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
GAFBlizzard wrote:
I am hoping to start Scenario 1 in the next day or two with my girlfriend. She is patient and understanding to a point with cooperative games, but if something is too frustrating I'm afraid it may drive her away before we get into the story and hit our stride.

So to my question: With 2 players starting the game, how important is it to pick at least one character with "tanky" HP?

With two players, I don't want to know the OPTIMAL combinations since I want to figure some things out for myself. But, for example, the Spellweaver and Tinker have 6 and 8 HP respectively. If one of us consistently dies each scenario that would probably suck for the person involved, even though you still gain experience/perks/loot/rewards if you're exhausted.

I would check out some of the comments in this thread. I think it is agreed that you don't need a tank, but there are some poor combinations you can choose. I am currently playing with Scoundrel and Mind thief and it's a pretty decent combo so far (only a few scenarios in).

My recommendation if you are really concerned about frustration and losing, play the first scenario or two on level 0. This will give you the best chance of being successful while learning your character and your cards... And hopefully you won't have to play the first scenario repeatedly to beat it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Greig
Australia
Kelso
New South Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
agreed and +1 on playing your 1st game on level 0 to get a feel for it
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
GAF Blizzard
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Interesting, I would have started on level 1 since that's "normal".

Level 0 might be a good idea since we can raise the difficulty on whichever scenarios we like, correct?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Byron Campbell
United States
Santa Clarita
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
In my experience, having a big hand of cards is much more important to your survival than having a lot of HP. Tinker has that, while Spellweaver is a bit trickier to master (she has a small hand but can retrieve lost cards once).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
GAF Blizzard
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I thought I heard Mindthief is the trickiest for learning the rules. Since I'm still mastering the rules myself, I'm planning to suggest we use any combination but Mindthief + whatever, with some possible exceptions from that bad combo thread.

*edit* Maybe Mindthief is ok even for beginners? The worst combos to avoid I saw were:

Spellweaver+Scoundrel (clashing styles)
Spellweaver+Tinker (clashing styles?)
Spellweaver+Mindthief (low HP)
Tinker+Cragheart (clashing styles?)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lorin Silver
Belgium
Nieuwkerken-Waas
Oost-Vlaanderen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm playing a Mindthief, my daughter's playing a Scoundrel. We're about 8 scenarios in, and we haven't lost a single one yet. I'd say that's a winning combination!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kerstin
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
GAFBlizzard wrote:

Spellweaver+Tinker (clashing styles?)
Tinker+Cragheart (clashing styles?)

I play all three of those together and for me both of them combo extremly well with the Tinkerer.
Cragheart can "shape" the environment by making obstacles, which really helps the Tinkerer with placing traps as you can funnel enemies extremly well into them.
And Tinkerer also has a few refreshing other peoples cards abilities, which works great for the small hand of the Spellweaver to push back when she has to rest and use her big "get all lost cards back card".
So while I play them mostly all three together, I had a few games where I didn't want to manage all three of them and left someone home and I personally find those combinations to not clash at all.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicole Hatch
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would say it's definitely useful to have 1 tank and I would recommend playing 4 classes. We get really great combos with 4.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicole Hatch
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We started with Cragheart, Mindthief, Spellweaver, and Tinkerer. They worked really great together.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicole Hatch
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would start of difficulty 1, personally.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drake Coker
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
badge
This is my tank for Combat Commander
mbmbmbmbmb
I haven't seen a starting duo that doesn't work yet, but having someone that can take a few hits helps when you're learning: Brute or Cragheart. My starting duo was Cragheart and Scoundrel and that's a fine combination.

Cragheart, while tanky, is not a traditional tank. He can take a lot of hits, but has no defenses. He heals pretty well and has an interesting set of abilities.

I think Spellweaver might be the hardest class to start with. She can exhaust quite easily if you don't use her wisely.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Oehler
msg tools
mb
I have not played with 2. Our 3 man party does have the 2 high HP classes, and the extra buffer does come in handy (OTOH, so might the extra damage of the scoundrel and such...).

One thing I'd note however, is that being tanky doesn't mean you want to tank all the monsters. For example, in our last scenario, I jumped into a room at full HP (14) with armor and shield items ready (3 total shield). All the monsters activated, leaving me at 2 HP, Wounded, and no item shields left. And then next round I had to burn cards to prevent damage twice due to enemies activating before me (and would have been taken out before the end of the round, but it wouldn't have mattered since we won). Those were pretty tame AI cards too. It's really not a good idea to soak the attacks of every enemy on the board, unlike say an MMO where a tank+healer can aggro a bunch of guys and sustain through it. You really want to be reducing attacks taken whenever possible as opposed to just soaking up hits with passive defenses.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
GAF Blizzard
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Thanks for the suggestion to start on Easy difficulty. We beat scenario 1 but it was pretty close with us running low on cards. If we had bad luck on draws, we could have even died from a 2x attack since both of us have only 8 HP. We ended up going with Scoundrel + Tinkerer.

I suspect that a slight part of the difficulty even on Easy was due to us both starting with poison because of reasons, and wasting a turn healing that off. whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.